Gastroenterology Community
Gall bladder not functioning properly

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gall bladder not functioning properly

Hi.  I had a HIDA scan and they said my gall bladder is not functioning properly.  So I have to have it out.  But I want to know if this causes some symptoms I am having.  Like I have pain in my chest most of the time but not bad.  I feel like I have something stuck like a burp or something.  And I do burp a lot.  Just wondering if this is all related to the gall bladder problem??  When I read about it on web sites it doesnt mention any of these symptoms so I am scared that I have something else wrong with me along with the whole gall bladder problem.
Good question.  I also had a HIDA and it was 20%.  Doc left it up to me what I want to do.  I have a lot of weird symptoms that may be my gall bladder but not for sure.  I have what I call a hiccup burp.  It's like I spasm and pull air in and then burp.  I burp a lot.  I have acid. I have bouts of chest pain.  I get acid so bad I have pain in my center chest area like I will die. I don't have pain in the gall bladder area.
Actually chest pain or angina type pain can be a gall bladder symptom and also burping and gas. Ever heard of someone who has a gallbladder attack and thought they were having a heart attack? Happens all the time. The pain in some can be very similar.
Could be Gerd, acid reflux go to the search engine and put in GERD
I had my gall bladder out about 2 years ago.  I sufferred with what I thought was indigestion that was getting progressively worse and more frequent for well over a year.  One day at work I thought I was having a heart attack!  The pain was always in the center, just below the rib cage.  And I never had any associated abdominal pain.  When they took my gall bladder out, they said it was full of "sludge".  I haven't had a problem since.  

Now my daughter is experiencing symptoms.  Her's started when she was almost 10 as SEVERE abdominal cramping around the belly button, constant vomiting, and a lot of gas.  We knew it wasn't stress related because we were at Disney World when the worst of it began. (Screaming Pain). The physician at the Celebration Hospital in Disney decided she just had too much "junk food" (which she hadn't).  A month or so after we got back home from our trip, she ended up in the hospital for 3 days. Her Hida scan revealed a "sluggish" gall bladder, but the doctors were hesitant to do surgery on a small child and elected to treat it with diet.  It worked pretty good for awhile.  She's almost 12 now and it's acting up again.  This time in the form of abdominal cramping in the same area, daily vomiting 1-3x per day, gas, and chest pain (right in the center below the rib cage) that has progressively been getting worse. She tolerates the pain much better than she did 2 years ago, but the painful discomfort in her chest and abdomen is constantly there.  Her primary and specialist agreed to treat her for acid reflux - giving her a double adult dose, but it hasn't helped.  After nearly 5 weeks of this now and the pain worsening, her specialist has ordered another Hida scan and an upper scope.  I certainly understand the doctors' wanting to take this slow - making sure there isn't another underlying problem, but it is so hard to watch your child in pain and be helpless to do anything for it.
Have you checked into an Abdominal Hernia?? This sounds like the pain when the intestines move outside the stomach lining and become incarcerated. This happened to me and they pushed it back in until I got surgery, the MRI and Scans Never showed the hole it was so small but once repaired I'm fine.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers