Gastroenterology Community
Gall bladder removed side effects?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gall bladder removed side effects?

My husband had an operation 6 to 8 years ago, they removed his gall bladder. He passed out at his job site and when he woke he was at the hospital and the doctor said that he need to have an operation right away to remove his gall bladder because if not he gonna die. But since then he couldn't eat and scared to eat out the house because everytime and after he put any food in his stomach he always on the run to the bathroom and he couldn't stop it.  He feel pain always and spent in the bathroom 2 to 4 times every meals before his stomach relieve. Is there way to prevent it all because its frustrated us as husband and wife that we can't spend some time eating in the nice restaurant once in a while. Please we need some help....I really appreciate it! thanks
Many people who have had a GB removal are unable to process fats the way they did before the surgery. So it may be necesssary for him to follow a low fat diet. If that doesn't help, talk to his doc about the use of a bile-binding resin like questran. It can help control the diarrhea. It's not ideal since it can bind necessary fat-soluble vitamins, but it can help some people. But even with that 'assist,' if fat/greasy is an issue, he needs to stay on a low fat diet to use the minimum about of resin possible.