Gastroenterology Community
Gall bladder removed

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gall bladder removed

Yes they did the deed. The surgery itself went well and I can eat but it's a lot of pain. It's not the same pain as before that would go over to my chest and is just in the area of the surgery. I tried like hell not to have this surgery but my life was  on hold from all this pain and   the numerous hospital visits. I was treated very well but this is not minor surgery in my opinion or at least not minor pain. I went from getting plenty of morphine to now only getting vicodin and I can really feel the pain now. I will go back to the surgeon towmorrow and get this drainage tube removed(I hope) and see how things are going. thanks
Your surgery was more complicated than the average lap-chole procedure because you waited so long.  Most patients don't need a drainage tube, and many have this surgery done on an outpatient basis.  

Try to deal with the pain the best you can.  I really believe that in time you'll feel a whole lot better than before the surgery.  :-)
thank god jaybay left that comment cause i was gettin seriously worried lol they are doing my hida scan monday and i might have to get mine out and you just scared the **** outa me lol
How are you feeling today?  I have my pre-op testing today, surgery next wednesday (the 14th).  I'm anxious/excited yet nervous/scared...
Oh good its over with..i told you the surgery would go well..and you should start feeling better soon..and i agree i never even heard of having a drainage tube? i also didnt wait long so dont worry fariasgirl
My husband has had the same pain since having his all bladder out 5 years ago, scans showed nothing. He has one more test. He has had 2 Acute Pancreatitis Attcks in a year. Keep your gall bladder or at least have it done the old fashion way. He eats like a bird to prevent another attack.
I had a HIDA scan..noting to it except for laying on that table for 2 hours.  They injected me with the radiation stuff but nothing else.  They actually fed me ensure to see if my gallbladder contracted properly.  I am so glad that I didn't have to get the CCK or whatever it is called-that stuff sounds awful.  Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones who gets to have surgery.  I have galltones AND my gallbllader isn't functioning properly-16%!!!
And, I have panic to boot :-)  So, I not looking forward to sugery at all; but I don't want to wait and make it worse.  I really don't have a lot of symtoms (symptoms), that's the strange thing.  They just happened to find gallstones on CT scan.
Anyway, I am planning to have my surgery before the holidays...early part of December.  I am quite nervous.
Thanks for your responses. Yesterday the drainage strated leaking and I went  straight to the surgeon's and they re did it and I went to work, short day. Yes it was more problematic as evidenced by the drainage and have some serious pain at times but it's surgical pain. I went back today for my 1rst checkup and they took out the drainage and that hurt. Because I'm eating, They say I'm doing well and do have to read labels and be carefull about what I eat. I get gas and loose stools which may be slowed up by the narcotics. I'm taking the drugs prudently and making them last the week or so that I'll need them. Addiction has been a problem and it will be nice to look forward to a non narcotic life again. This isn't minor surgey but I know I needed it. I keep you updated regulay. all the best. P.S. my gall bladder was in bad shape and I did wait a long time. all the best
You went to WORK?!!!!!  WTH are you thinking?!!  (Pardonez moi)  I can understand doing a bit if you're doing computer work at home, but tell me you didn't actually drive yourself into the office?  You have so much healing to do internally - please give yourself time to do it.  

You really ARE doing well to be eating this soon.  Just don't push it too fast.  Sounds like you're doing fine with the addiction issues as well, and I know that was a big concern for you.  Is that one of the reasons you put off your surgery so long?  You hang in there mr.lucky!  Hopefully you'll be back to biscuits and gravy within a month or so.  :-)
Ha! thanks jay, I could really enjoy some biscuts and gravey about now. I am a private music teacher and went to work to keep the wolf from my door. I've driven myself to the ER many times in extreme pain and yesterday was a cake walk. Today as I took my shower I again stared bleeding. The nurse said that's to be expected but they don't have to clean up the blood and ruin their cloths. Since I'm around the corner from them, I think I'll go back and have them re-dress it for the weekend. It's also hard for me to do it as this incision is on the side. My appitite is good and I'm gratefull for that. I'm being carefull with the pills and have to make what few I have last until sunday. By then I hope I can tolerate what pain I have. all the best