Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder Issues, Clear Tests? HELP!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder Issues, Clear Tests? HELP!!

I have been having what seems like gallbladder issues for approximately 6 weeks, I first had a bad attack 6 weeks ago after eating pizza (I don't often eat foods high in fats) and had to go to the ER and get morphine. I have been having attacks since then after I eat dairy, eggs, and fats. I have had bloodwork (including a CBC), an ultrasound, and a HIDA scan. All have turned up normal. I have talked with several people about having symptoms but clear tests, and the people I've talked with have said that they just finally demanded to have their gallbladder removed and it solved all of their problems. Anyone have similar experiences? I'm on a waiting list to see a GI, but it could be months. A surgeon won't do anything until I see a GI.
I am assuming that the HIDA was done with CCK stimulation and did not reproduce your symptoms. If that was rhe case an upper endoscopy would be in order. Why such a long wait to see a GI doc?
The HIDA was done with the CCK and it did reproduce my pain. Since I am not yet 16, adult GI's won't see me and where I live there is only one pediatric GI office and they're fully booked for like the next four months or so. I do have an appt with a surgeon on the 29th of October, but like I said, a surgeon won't take out my gallbladder without me seeing a GI first. So right now all I can do is not eat anything with sustenance, I can only eat raw fruits and veggies and I've been drinking fruit and vegetable juices from my juicer as well. Even though I don't usually have pain if I stick to this diet, I am nauseated for most all the time. I've also had a low grade fever for about 5 weeks, but when I had my blood tests, my white blood cells were not elevated. Which has been something that has stumped my doctors before. I had pneumonia twice, once in 2009 and once in 2011. Both times my white blood cells were not elevated but I was extremely sick (wheezing, difficulty breathing, HIGH fever, horrible cough, the only reason I got a diagnosis of pneumonia is because somebody suggested doing a chest x-ray and it showed up VERY clearly on that). And when I had appendicitis, my white blood cells were not elevated either, but they still took it out just to be safe, and sure enough, they caught it just as it was about to burst, and the infection spread to my fallopian tube for which I was on iv antibiotics for. So I'm just at my wits end here, I've been feeling to miserable to focus on school and I'm getting behind (which is bad, because I go to a college prep school). I just need help, this has been going on for too long and my doctor is a "strictly by the book person" which is good most of the time, right? But there must be some exceptions sometimes, right?? People who present atypically like me must go out of their minds all the time. Thanks
In patients less than 18 years of age in the US, gallbladder dyskinesia is currently the most common indication for cholecystectomy. Current literature supports the notion that the reproduction of symptoms with the CCK is the best predictor of symptom resolution following removal of the gallbladder. Most surgeons, however, would be reluctant to operate on these folks without an upper endoscopy first to rule out other UGI sources. It is unfortunate that most GI docs refuse to see patients in this age range.
Thank you very much, I will mention that my symptoms were reproduced after the CCK injection to my surgeon when I have the appointment. An upper endoscopy has been mentioned to me before and that will probably be the next step, we just ruled out Celiac via another blood test. I just hope that I'll be able to have that endoscopy sometime soon because I need to get back to school. I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions.