Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder Removal ~ Did it relieve your symptoms?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Did you get relief from your symptoms after gallbladder surgery?

It seems to me that more and more people are having their gallbladders removed without any symptomatic relief.  I would like to know if this is as widespread as I fear and what can be done about it.
20%
 (4) 
Yes ~ All My Symptoms Are GONE!
15%
 (3) 
Partial ~ Most of My Symptoms Are GONE!
5%
 (1) 
Partial ~ Some of My Symptoms Are GONE!
25%
 (5) 
Partial ~ A Few of My Symptoms Are GONE!
35%
 (7) 
No ~ NONE of My Symptoms Are GONE!
20 Members voted
wow
this percentage scares me
I've been having attacks for 1.5 years and at around two a month I just can NOT handle it anymore and need this removed NOW
I'm waiting for an appointment w/the county hospital next month because I'm without insurance.  I'm a single mom to two girls, one being a baby - this is going to take lots of coordination
If I go threw all this trouble - and I don't have any relief
I am going to be very unhappy...
Hi..I am sorry you are going through this, and the waiting does not help!  I am right there with you.  Since Feb 3rd when I found out I had gallstones and needed surgery I have been put on that crazy diet where you can barley eat anything.  I too am without insurance.  Filled out all my paperwork and just sitting here waiting for them to say GO!  I have lost alot of weight, which I didn't need to do in the 1st place.  Lets not mention when I went and met with the surgeon the ER recommended he gave me Toradol for pain.  Well thank god above I had not had another "episode" mainly because I don't cheat on my diet and basically only eat fish and boiled chicken and some veggies and fruits.  Not to mention the amount of water I have been drinking is getting to me.  

When I first found out I needed surgery, I was like you scared to death!  logging onto the internet and finding others going through the same thing conforted me because I could ask questions I needed answers too.  Yeah you do read here about all the problems people encounter...but remember most surgeries preformed have alot of success.  See someone told me here on this forum that only those with problems post, just imagine the amount of people who have had the surgery???  They are not going to post if they are fine and have not had problems.  People always tend to post when things are not right...and those who have had success don't post at all.  Just my opinion.  I cannot wait to have the surgery........
Remember that for the most part, if you've had resolution to your symptoms, you're not on the net telling people how good you feel, so you're more likely to hear bad stories than good.

If I were to answer for my mother or grandmother (I haven't had mine removed yet, so I can't yet answer for myself) , both would be "Yes -- All my symptoms are GONE". I don't think I've ever actually physically MET anyone who wouldn't fall in either All or Most symptoms gone.

Sorry you're having such a rough time.  I had my gallbladder removed about 15 years ago, and after the surgery I had no symptoms.  I was very ill prior to surgery, developed pancreatitis as a stone had blocked the duct.  It was awful, I was in the hospital for 3 days before they could do the surgery but once it was over I felt like a new person.  I couldn't eat much fat - it made me run to the bathroom but eventually that went away.  Both of my parents and my brother had their gallbladders' removed and had the same results.

My father and I however also had ulcers and the symptoms were the same, and that was how I finally realized it wasn't my ulcer.  I took zantac and STILL had pain so eventually agreed to go to the ER.  After the surgery I still had some issues with the ulcer but meds took care of it and it finally healed.  

I had laproscopic surgery and was up and about that same night.  I couldn't go home for two days after because I had an elevated temp - but other than some slight pulling around the surgical area when i went up and down stairs I was fine.  

One last thing, I too wouldn't be here telling you this because as the person above noted when things go well we don't go on the net to talk about it.  I stumbled on this while looking for information on a perforated colon - I'm recovering from that surgery now but don't panic, it is totally unrelated to the gallbladder issue =)

I hope you get relief soon, it's horrible to live with the pain and the fear of the next attack.

I voted partial but have a very positive thing to add - the pain before the removal during an attack was 9-10, now it's 1-2. For a few months after surgery some fat foods and alcoholic drinks would make me barf - but it's gradually gone back to feeling normal.
Just hoping to get some more people to vote on this question.
well I have mine out tomorrow! and I am very excited about it! for the last year I been having really bad pains once or twice a month. but the last 3 months I have been having them 5 days a week at least. for several hours on end. 1 thing I have found to relieve the symptoms though, is to lay in a bath as hot as you can get it and also I take an ibuprofen with my nexium. good luck to you all