Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder Surgery After Effects

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder Surgery After Effects

I had my gallbladder out in Dec and I have had nothing but problems. My digest was non-existant and I was having constant stomach pain. After surgery I got a really bad infection in my colon. It took 3 weeks and 4 antibiotics to heal. I had constant back pain right across my liver. I also had phantom pains. It seemed like I could feel my liver dumping bile into my stomach. I was in agony and I felt horrible all the time. I could not eat and if I did I either was in the bathroom or throwing up. Once I started having horrible chest and stomach pains and I could not swalllow. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with indigestion. Later at the Doc he said that my stomach was not digesting my food and that was the reason for the pain. My stomach was cramping and churning because it could not release the food I had eaten.  I began to research the surgery more. I found out that the gallbladder release enzymes into your stomach that helps with digestion. After 6 months your liver is "supposed" to take over and produce the enzymes but for some reason my liver was not doing this. I found out there where many supplements that you can take that helps with this problem. I started taking 1000 mg of fish oil (it contains omega-3 and omega-6 which is what your body needs after the surgery), 1000 mg of calcium and magnesium. I also take vitamin c and primrose (strictly a woman's vitamen. Its called DHEA for men) Once I started taking these everything changed. My liver stopped hurting and I was able to eat again. I still have phantom pains and an occasional stomach issue but I have been pretty good since then. I now take the vitamins every day and I feel 150% better. I figured its worth a try!! There really is no reason not to give it a try. Its all natural and it made me feel almost normal!

This discussion is related to pain after gallbladder  surgery.