Gallbladder and Calcium Connection
About 2.5 years ago I suffered acute vitamin D intoxication (poisoning) and was gravely ill. Approx about 3 months later I noticed my stools change in colour and consistency, to yellow and loose. Around the same time, I also noticed pain around my right epigastric region. In addition to the pain, when I have these "attacks" I sometimes suffer an irregular heartbeat, slight chest pressure and my saliva has a tingling metallic taste. I haven't put on any weight and can tolerate fatty and greasy foods easily. What I can't tolerate is most vitamin supplements and cheese (calcium). I have intense pains around my gallbladder every time I swallow/eat them and it can last on and off for a week or so. The only thing that has offered me relief from these attacks and debilitating pain is a magnesium only supplements (eg magnesium aspartate dihydrate).
As time went on, I noticed I felt more lethargic and went to my doctor for a blood test and also had: an anaerobic stool analysis, endoscopy, colonoscopy, HIDA scan and endoscopic ultrasound. My blood showed I was borderline abnormal-low for vitamin d, calcium, iron, B12, albumin, and zinc. My anaerobic stool analysis came back with an undergrowth of Lactobacillous and an overgrowth of Provetella (bacteria susceptible to bile salts). My HIDA scan came back normal, EF 97%, and everything else appeared normal. My diagnosis was chronic acalculous gallbladder disease.
Because I haven't had any answers to my problems I have been doing my own research and have come up with connections between the gallbladder vitamin d, melatonin, magnesium and calcium metabolism. The gallbladder is not a passive reservoir for bile. It modifies and acidifies bile through ion exchange and transport. If these ion channels become damaged then problems with the gallbladder and its’ associated structures arise (sphincter of oddi)
Some of the connections between calcium and the gallbladder are shown in the following conditions: limy bile, porcelain gallbladder, UV exposure and increased incidence of gallstones, and mixed-type gallstones (all stones contain calcium). Read Pubmed articles. It is my belief that the gallbladder plays a very important role in the body in relation to calcium metabolism/buffering/regulation.

This discussion is related to Acalculous gallbladder disease?.