Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder and gastroparesis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder and gastroparesis

Has anyone heard of developing gastroparesis after gallbladder surgery?  I had my gallbladder out (no stones) poor function in June 07, about a month later I know cannot eat food and have dx of gastroparesis from GES test.  Anyone with this condition-how it could develop?
check your thyroid,  it is rare, but a thyroid issue may cause it.....some doctors disagree, but my daughter has gastropareses and did not fit the traditionally profile, after finding 3 tumors on her thyroid and diagnosing her with hasimotor disease....her gastro dr....stated that if we get her thyroid under contol that may help her stomach...I did some research and it is a cause of gastropareses, even if it is rare.
Hi Sunny...what are the symptoms of gastroparesis? I had my gallbladder out in Sept. and have not felt well since then.

Tina
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis a year and a half after having my gallbladder removed (no stones, 0% ejection on dysida scan).  I was told that the "vegas nerve" could have been "damaged" during the surgery and that is probably the cause since I am young,  healthy and not a diabetic.
Hi sunny.  I have the same symptoms like you do.   I can not eat and when I eat I can not digest my food.  Our medical treatment sucks.  I had no pain before my GB syurgery.  now I can't eat and have indigestion all the time.  what is going on with me, I am young?  I have pain and do not digest my food.  Is it going to become some sort of stomach cancer down the road?

Can someone help us and advise?
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in 2008 after 2 years of suffering with nausea and acid refulx. I was put on Reglan, Protonix and Phenergan and was doing oky up until about 2 months ago. Turns out my gallbladder is only functioning at 23% so I am having it removed 02/11/11. I definitley think the two are related and I am a nervous wreck thinking what life is going to be like WITH gastroparesis and WITHOUT a gallbladder.
I had my gallbladder removed in march of 2012 and was diagnosed with gastroparesis that summer. Its miserable and I live on Zofran to make it through the day. Find a good GI doctor. Mine is amazing and does everything he can. One thing that helps me is eating a snack every 2 hours, DONT eat a full meal. Just something small every couple hours. Stay away from dairy, green vegetables, lettuce, and fast food. I go out to eat, but I pick a small app instead of a full meal. If you cut your fiber down you will feel alot better too! Food with high acid might not sit very well. its all about portion. I eat turkey burger instead of beef too and that has made a difference!
My daughter has been having problems for several months.  Gall bladder function is 0%, but they think she has gastroparesis because she can't keep food down and she has excess acid in her stomach.  Just put her on Reglan.  Already taking Dexilant and phenegran. If this new medication works, will her gall bladder function again? or does she need it removed.  Don't know how to help her.  She's in her 20's.  I'm thinking we need to see another GI doctor.
Just wanted to add....

After having my GB out for pain after meals, not usual gb pain.  They took it out because sonogram showed stones.  I know my GB wasn't the best BUT the complications after surgery were horrendous!!

This was a few yrs ago, I was sick for abt 18 mths.  Now I'm fine.  Alot is NOT known abt gastroparesis, especially for folks like us w/o a related illness like diabetes or chronic pancreatitis.  Suggest a daily food intake journal. really you will be curing this, you will soon learn what IS acceptable.

Dairy and fatty foods seem to be the worst for most.  take care
This is now the fourth day of no food, only water.  Keeping some water down. Best day was yesterday, so last night so she tried some powerade.  Didn't stay down.  Today is another bad day.  Monday she will need to go back to the GI doctor.  Very worried. They haven't taken the gall bladder yet because the gastroparesis could be causing it not to function. She needs the stomach emptying test in order to know which it is, but unable to do it after 2 tries.  Don't know what's next.