Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder polyps

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder polyps

I was diagnosed with two small gallbladder polyps via ultrasound. What would be the next step? Do I have to get the gallbladder removed? My doctor suggested to monitor them by ultrasound every year to see if they grow. He said he wasn't concerned at this point. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Polyps are a sign that something is not right.  Go back to basics.  Don't have  your gallbladder removed if you don't have to.  Check your diet.  Start with checking your pH levels (purchase strips at health store).  Start a detoxing program.  Check every chemical you are putting in your mouth...lunch meat has sodium nitrates...do you know what that is?  Breads have mycotoxins...some have sodium benzoates.  Know the chemical.
The older recommendation for the presence of gallbladder polyps depended on the size of the polyps. Under a certain size, they were watched and if they grew beyond a certain size, gallbladder removal was suggested. However, the newer recommendation is that if polyps are present in the gallbladder, the organ should be removed. Polyps in the gallbladder are being treated as any other polyp would be treated - as a possible precursor to formation of a cancerous state. Do some reading on the issues and go back and discuss it with your doctor.