Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder removal and swimming

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder removal and swimming

So, My girlfriend is having gallblader (gallbladder) removal on 4/28, we leave for disney on 5/6 and will be there for about 6 days.  Do you think it will be possible for her to go in the pool at the water park at disney while we are there?  We are going to the water park on the last day of the trip to give her wounds time to heal, I also bought some waterproof sealers for surgical wounds for her to wear.  Do you think she will be ok?
They will put regular band aids on the surgical scars (at least that's what I've always seen). She can take them off after a couple days. My only concern is that she needs to get plenty of rest that short period between her surgery and the trip you are going on. The surgeon is also going to want to make a follow-up appointment, and that is usually about a week after the surgery. Just making sure you were aware of these things. But waterproof sealers should be fine...especially considering you are allowed to shower the day after you are released from the hospital.
thanks for the help! every where i read they say stay out of bath or swimming activities for a week after, and i spent 10$ for 5 of those sealers so they better work lol.  she wont be working from the day of the surgery to the day of the trip, so she will be getting lots of rest.
It is going to take at least a week for her to comfortably be able to walk around and up to 1 1/2 weeks before she will be able to bend comfortably. EVen after the 1 week mark she will still be tired and sore. My steri strips weren't removed until my post op appt 1 week after surgery, and then he replaced them with a second set for another week.
So i couldn't swim or take a bath for 2 weeks....showers only.
you will really need to play this by ear!! if the wounds have healed i would go in the water if not stay out - dont risk interfearing with the healing process. folowing my surgery i had poor healing but found even waterproof dressings did not keep the wounds watertight even for a quick shower.... i would not have risked soaking them in water. at the end of the day even if she rests by the pool and catches some sun she will still beable to enjoy a relaxing holiday after all she has been through... if still unsure prehaps discuss it with a dr before the holiday who will be able to ***** her wounds and advise in her particular case.
assess her wounds is what i meant to type!!
If I was her I probably wouldn't even want to be in a bathing suit with stitches like that on.. she'll be swollen and sore and recovering.. like in professional sports I guess that would be a game time decision but I don't think she'll want to be swimming that soon after surgery (even a week..took me like 4 days before I even dared go back to work)
i had an open conversion that did not heal for 2 months - i could not take a bath let alone go swimming for over 2 months!! just see how it goes - if her healing is not complete i would suggest catching some relaxing rays by the pool rather than swimming.
Ya thats what we are planning now, it seems that she will see the doctor the day before we leave to make sure the wounds heal, at that point the doc said she will let us know if its safe to swim.
hope you have a great holiday, whether or not your girlfriend is able to swim.  good luck for her op.

vix
well id thought i would update, 7 days after the surgery, the surgen said her wounds has almost completly healed up and shes free to swim without bandages!