Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder removal..NOT one problem and I am losing weight..I feel gre...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder removal..NOT one problem and I am losing weight..I feel great!

Hi all,

well I am 10 days post-op and doing beautifully. I went for my first re-check with the surgeon and he said that I am doing very well and that I should take it slow and not lift anything heavy for the next 2-3 weeks. I have lost 10 lbs. and seem to still be losing. Is this normal?? Something has really affected my appetite because I barely eat but do drink a lot.

My incisions are very sore and bruised but healing. I just feel like a different person with that nasty GB gone :)
No but lucky you. i would love to have lost weight because of my surgery...
Well my appetite hasnt been half what it use to be..I was not overweight to begin with but toning up it great :)
Awesome. I think thats great. Im meeting with my GI doctor this afternoon. Im going to tell him that Im still having really bad pain. Maybe hell wise up and send me to a surgeon. Good luck with your recovery. Hope Im as lucky
I'm going under the knife in two days to have my gb removed.  What, may I ask, was your ejection fraction?  Did you have a hidascan?  Anything I should know from your experience that may make mine less scary???

Glad things went well with you.  Hope mine goes just as smoothly. (did i spell that right?)  lol
I went to my GI the other day. I explained that I was still having the URQ pain. He said that he could offer gallbladder surgery as an option, but he's not sure if it will alleviate the pain im in. I explained to him about the me having infrequent BM's. I have had only one BM in the past 13 days. I burst into tears when he suggested a colonoscopy. Its not that Im afraid to undergo the procedure, its that Im afraid that the test will come back normal. He put me on tramadol and elavil for the pain, and Im supposed to go back in a month. But in the meantime Im going to consult with my internist to see if he wants me proceed with the colonoscopy. If doesnt think that its a good idea then I wont do it. Is like my GI thinks Im stupid or something. Need some advice. HELP!!!!
Will your insurance plan allow you to self-refer to a surgeon?  You should at least be able to have a consultation for an opinion!
I did have a HIDA scan and my ejection fraction was 41%. The procedure itself is not scary. The trick is getting lots of rest and just following everything the surgeon says for you to do.
My ef was 36%, and surgery is tomorrow morning.  I always follow doctor's instructions, just hope he puts it all in writing so I won't forget!  Thanks for your response...will post some time after surgery.
I now longer have much pain  8 days after surgery but don't like the way my digestion is working. Is it normanl too feel this was and if so for how long? all the best in your surgery
I heard back from my internist's assistant, she said that he wanted me to proceed  with the colonoscopy. But Im not taking her word for it cause it didnt come straight from my internist's mouth.I go back to the gastro in a month. I'll more than likely end up telling him to just remove the damn gallbladder. I am not about to let them put me through one more test that is going to come back normal. Anyways I would much prefer to have them take my gallbladder out and get it over with than to spend another weekend in the emergency room. Keep ya posted!!!
Yes, if it's that bad get it out. I just saw the surgeon and he removed my staples and told me how bad my GB was from the pathology report. The surgery was good and am having slight discomfort and have to watch what I eat. He told me that after a month I can eat anything. Can anyone confirm or deny this? all the best
I just had my GB removed yesterday (along with appendix and "a significant amount of scar tissue")and my doc said to take it easy on physical activities for a week and eat whatever I can tolerate.  He suggested that I avoid fatty foods as this could cause loose bowels, but no restrictions.  Guess everyone's doctor gives slightly different post surgical advice.
No your docs advice is similar to mine but mine may have downplayed the digestive facor. He said the re-adjustment period for GB surgery is about a month . You are dealing with more post  op. pain because of the other procedures. I feel better today and watch what I eat and eat less. I'm an average sized male and guess I'll loose some wieght but that's ok. The less I eat the less problems I have. Kepp us posted.
Hi whats up? Hows the recovery thing going. Im really pissed of at my gastro for ordering all these tests. Know what I did. I left a message on his voice mail saying that I decided not to go through with the colonoscopy, and that I wanted my gallbladder out. I want to get this over with. Well anyways the way i see the reason there really hesitant to remove my gallbladder is because i dont know if there are any gallbladder problems in my family. My family's really secretive that way. It also seems that they wanna wait for my gallbladder to rupture before doing anything. Hell, Im about to find a surgeon and a gastro at Baylor Garland if the one i have doesnt listen to me. By the way my friend Carolyn is pissed off at my gastroenterologist. At least she's on my side.
Female 25 mother of two...Just wanted to tell all the first day after having my gallbladder removed was not bad, but woke up in the middle of the night with horrible upset stomach.  I vomitted and oh my goodness does that hurt your stomach.  And to sneeze and laugh...This is major surgery and takes a lot of your life.  My poor kids and most of all my husband.  Oh and my poor puppy.  I  have read several horror stories about diarhea (diarrhea) (SP) and nausea.  But luckly I have been fine.  About ejection infraction can be differnt on a daily and test by test basis.  Today is my third day and my back hurts more than anything because I have had to sleep on the couch.  It's as if my food not digesting and wants to come back up.  Have had small appetite.  I wish I would of started eating better and this surgery didn't make me do it
Had my GB out yesterday after a weekend in the ER with gallbladder attack. Until this weekend, I had no idea what was causing the pain. Doctor took the GB out laproscopically and I feel great. Still sore at the site of the incisions and I can feel the gas bubbles moving around - haven't had a BM yet, but I was always constipated before, so a touch of loose stools won't bother me a bit. I'm not hoping to lose weight or gain weight, I'm 34 yo woman, and slightly overweight, but I just feel cleaner, lighter, and healthier - I didn't even KNOW I had gallstones a week ago. They were first diagnosed with a Barium CT scan, followed by an ultrasound. Doc gave me pics from the laprascope and the gallbladder/stones after removal - GROSS! I am so glad to be rid of it.

Good luck to anyone else out there having GB problems. I hope your procedures go as well as mine.

PS - I would never have had surgery except for a last case scenario - I'm not a big proponent of elective surgeries - but I was in the worst pain of my life.