Gastroenterology Community
Gallstone attacks after Gall Bladder removed

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my Gall Bladder removed about 4 years ago. Just recently I have started having what feel like Gall Stone Attacks. I remember them well from before I had my Gall Bladder removed. They are not as bad as they were then, but it's happened 3 times in the past 1-2 weeks.

I'm concerned there is a stone. Can stones still form after the Gall Bladder is removed?

I do have some concern that the pain will get worse each time.

Thank you for your time!
- JRimp
Avatar n tn

Stones can still form after the gallbladder is removed.  Sometimes, there are stones left in the bile ducts during surgery.  The surgeon is supposed to "milk" the bile ducts to ensure that the stones are taken out, but sometimes small ones get missed and they are left in there.  In order for you to get a true answer, you should see a GI doc and get a MRCP (fancy MRI)  done just to be sure. Hope this helps.

I have the same problems after two years of having my gall bladder removed. They did alot of test on me and found a growth that came back in the place of my gall bladder. I am still being tested and if for sure this "thing" is still there i will have to have surgery again. So have them do ultrasounds and ct scans just to make sure everything is ok.
I wish you luck with yours!!
I had my gallbladder removed in 2010 and I swear I had an attack about a week ago but did not think this was possible until I read this.  Makes me feel a little better.  I will never forget the way this feels.

does anybody know what treatment can be done if they do an ultrasound and see more stones in there?  Would it be more surgery?
I had my gallblatter reoved in 2004. This past year(2013) I had a gallstone attack that landed me in the hospital with pancreatitis because the bile backed up into the pancreas. I was told by my doctor to expect green stools, it means bile is going through the system. I have found that a certain diet (not eating the things I am intolerant of) and vitamins have helped. The vitamins I have found to help me so far Vitamin C from a non-corn source ( one of my intolerances is corn) Potassium, Vitamin D2 ( am allergic to lambs wool) and Pantathine. I am still working on finding all the vitamins that will help. I wish you luck in your search for feeling better.