Gastroenterology Community
Gallstone passage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallstone passage

I have had gallstones since 2006. I have had maybe 6 terrible attacks over the years. the Dr. said I could have had them all my life and not the IBS that the Emergency Room diagnosed me with.
the pain is in the same spot. I have been juicing all my fruits and vegi's since last Thursday.I don't eat out anymore with my boyfriend like at taco tuesday or at crappy places that have cheapchoir they we pay huge dollars for. I have also lessened my carb in take and no refined sugar.
I eat organic meets and lately no turkey or red meat. I can have fish wild caught.
Today for the first time in the month I do not have the dull ache under my right ribcage. Before I have what they call a non invasive surgery I have to clean up my act. Only if I have to have surgery I will. To me all surgery is invasive. I saw the gallbladder removal surgery online. I quit smoking everything too! It was messing with my liver/ digestion! I am wondering if gallstones pass on their own? I think red wine and dark beer is all I can do moderately but I feel so much better since juicing and also I am not so sure of the cleansing because what if a stone gets caught and it doesn't pass? Can stones pass with a change in diet on their own?.That's what I want to know. Has it happened??

This discussion is related to Help!!  gallstones , I don't want surgery .....
I applaud the lifestyle changes as they will pay dividends for many years but you have some misconceptions about gallbladder disease. First and foremost, it is a gallbladder disease, not a gallstone disease. The gallstones are merely the evidence of a gallbladder that doesn't work. The last thing you want is to pass the stones. This results in the most deadly complications of gallbladder disease. The other thing is the reason for removing the gallbladder. Patientsnthat have typical biliary symptoms and have gallstones documented have a one in three chance of developing severe complications of the disease. These include acute cholecystitis, cholangitis from a stone occluding the common bile duct, and pancreatitis which is probably the most lethal. The death rate of dealing with patients with one of these complication goes up as much as one hundred fold. Since the mortality risk of an elective cholecystectomy is so low that is the justification to remove these gallbladders. Put in the simplest terms, I am a whole lot less likely to shorten your life than your gallbladder is. Go see a surgeon. This is probably the most common operation that he does.