Gastroenterology Community
Gallstones, ulcer or trapped nerve.....

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallstones, ulcer or trapped nerve.....

.....as my GP seemed to think it was all 3!!!!! About 18 months ago I had what I can only describe as a severe pain (pressure) at the top of my abdomen and radiating round to the back. I took a couple of ibuprofen and went to bed. I remember being unable to get comfortable and writhing about - my stomach was also distented. I felt I needed to remove my bra and have a wee - anything to relieve the pressure. The next morning it had gone. Not wanting to experience that again, I saw my GP who said "trapped nerve - take ibuprofen and rest". This I did and the pain continued - not often, but after big meals it seemed. I carried on though and took painkillers. An episode would start out as if it was indigestion for which I'd take a remedy and then get steadily worse, which was when the ibuprofen was used. Then I started to feel constantly nauseous and still do! In August this year, I had my Sunday lunch and almost immediately was gripped by this crushing pain - like someone had got a rubber band tied tightly around my stomach just under my boobs and was pulling tight - I thought it was a heart attack! 5 ibuprofen later with little improvement even the next day(!) I decided to visit my GP again who thought "ulcer" and prescribed Omiprazole. That seemed to work in as much as there was no more pain but I didn't feel as sick. Having had blood tests I was called back to be told I had small blood cells(!) so I took the opportunity to relate my symptoms to another doctor, who felt it could be gallstones and is sending me for an ultrasound scan next week.
Firstly go see a gastrointern doctor. From what it seems you possibly have acid reflux and maybe an ulcer. btw, using ibuprofen and many pain killers when you have an ulcer is a really bad idea. It further complicates the injury and causes acid reflux to worsen. I would stop those until you identify it's not an ulcer. Try eating certain groups of food seperatly to see if there are any trigger foods.

As for gallstones, I would wait on doing the ultrasound until you speak to a gastro doc. Once again trigger foods will help somewhat here. Anything with fat will typicaly trigger a gallbladder attack.
It sounds exactly like my gallbladder attack.  I'd had longstanding lack of appetite with nausea and vomiting every morning.  I found out I had GB stones, and then had a party at work where they fed us pizza and cheesecake.  I had a 30-hour gallbladder attack the next day with symptoms just as you described.