Gastroenterology Community
Gas Bloating and shortness of breath

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gas Bloating and shortness of breath

Painful
It has happened to me two times.  One about 3 months ago and yesterday happened again.  I realize that if I constipated already and then I eat and get bloated the stomach or abdomen starts to inflate.  It inflates so much that it reaches the point that it start pushing my lungs.  and I can't breath or even talk.  I took anti-gas, anti-acid and peptobismol.  First time it occurred I went to doctor, by the time I got to doctor, the bloating and pain was gone.  Yesterday was more sever and more painful it was about 3 AM so I knew it was going to pass but it took me about 2 hours of excruciating pain the shortness of breath was so bad I could not even talk..  By the time it was a decent time to go to doctor. Bloating was gone.

This last gas/bloating attack was more severe... even though now I am not bloated and I can breath normally.  I can feel pain in my left back.  Not to sounds to dramatic but I am afraid I will not survive another gas/bloating attack.  I am trying to find a common denominator in between the two separated incidents.  Perhaps was the bread?  That I was constipated?  The food was bad?  I don't want to go through it ever again.
this happens to me alot . i too have had ct scans where they say i have perfect lungs , perfect heart other than A-FIb  and i leave the hospital feeleing like an idiot, but my symptoms are real , i was finally diax with the a- fib and fibromyalgia. buit it does get very uncomfortable when you cant take a deep breath or even yawn. what i have found out is have them scan your bronchial tubes not the lungs .. bloating does cause shortness of breath but also if your lungs show up normal your bronchial tubes may not which are the tree like tubes leading ot the lungs if they are inflamed or filled with mucus , then it causes this , i take a breathing treatment with zophran and it helps , it actually makes you feel like your going ot die. i hope you find a solution i know how troublesome it is when this happens and noone can explain it .
one thing htat helps is i watch discovery health and it has shows on there that have alot of info.. medical myssteries aith people just like us and they have helped.
Hello. I've had a bit of luck here. I would say that I'm not cured but greatly improved.
First I would go to your Doctor and ask whether you can see their Dietician. My Dieticain used the Addenbrook method to find out what food were causing problems. This is basically an exclusion diet where foods are added every few days. I found that Milk and Onions are worth avoiding (strong Coffee too but I still torture myself by still drinking the stuff).
The other thing was using a drug such as Omeprazole and Famotadine . They are PPI drugs.I had more success with Lansoprazole but it made me confused and I can't have that with my job. Hmmm...so I'm still searching for the last drug without side affects.

Cheers Jerry

PS- I still get this from time to time still.
hi everyone, i have had this issue since dec/2007.
it got better in 2008, after 6 months but came back in jan/2010.
caused by Stress! little or more Overweight! anxiety!
I went to E.R. the first time , but now i know it was caused by Coffee and stress.
I took omeprezole in 2010, for 3 months. I am allergic to it. it has many side effects, so don't take for a long time.
I also had H.Pylori. that causes bloating, and gas. you need anti bacterial pills.
1: don't stress. dont worry, be happy.
2: No coffee, no tea, no soda."only water"
3: it is a type of ibs, so eat protein, rice, little cheese in morning only, yogurt with lunch, little fiber at a time "dont mix fibers".
4: no fried food, grilled is ok.
5: no spicy food.
when it occurs, lay dawn elevated upper body, and lean on your right side, chew gum it helps, and chew on rolaids, and do the deep breathing, and relax, dont think about it, drink water, watch funny stuff, listen relaxing music.
trust me it will go away.

you get anxious when it happened and you need to calm dawn.
talk to your girlfriend , boyfriend , wife or hubby, talk to them and listen to them, it will calm you dawn.

stopping caffeine and spicy food is a must.
avoid milk, see if it helps you.
half a garlic mix with your plain yogurt, eat it with your food, it will relax you.
lettuce may or may not be good, as they contain bacterias on them, eat with olive oil & vinegar.
let me know if it helps any reader.
GOD BLESS!
I also have gass and bloating right now! My stomach looks like im pregnant when this happens!!!! and im a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have shortness of breath also when bloated.I found a way that may be helpfull though...I have gone to my chiropractor and have my neck ajusted! No kidding ,it really works! Sit ups and working out also help.
take 3 gas ex and drink peppermint tea at the same time ......IT WORKS!   goodbye gas!