Gastroenterology Community
Gas Trapped In Chest???

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gas Trapped In Chest???

Does gas trapped in chest cause feelings of losing your breath?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I doubt that your O2 saturation is actually declining when this happens causing you to feel short of breath.  I bet that if you took a oxygen reading while this was happening, your oxygen would be normal.  What is probably happening (and what has happened to me) is that it is causing a feeling of shortness of breath because of the pressure, but nothing bad is actually happening.
In a way it does.  It actually does not allow for fresh air exchange in part of you lungs, so you are functioning with less fresh air than you need.  The trapped air loses its oxygen. So your O2 saturation declines causing you to feel short of breath

I was thinking as an asthmatic not realizing this post was on the gastro board.  Trapped air in an asthmatic does cause the process I described.