Gastroenterology Community
Gas pains and Acid problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gas pains and Acid problems

To start off I have had stomach problems since I was 17. I suffered for years and got worse lost a lot of weight from being so sick all the time. In Feb, 2011 I got my gallbladder removed. It seemed to help me but I have still randomly had stomach problems. My GI doctor and other doctors just basically keep giving me different types of acid reducers but their all about the same to me and they don't always help. I'm able to eat now and I have gained a lot of weight since 2011 (which now I would like to lose some weight) but now my main problem is acid buildup which causes a burning sensation and I will get nasous from it until I eat something if I don't eat I will feel real sick from it. Which I think is whats causeing me to gain weight. Acid reducers just give me a lil more time till I have to eat but I still feel sick until I'm able to eat something. My other problem is trapped air and belching. Its a very uncomfortable feeling and this happens often. Its kind of painful and its hard to eat with the air all in my stomach. Sometimes it feels like I could throw it up like I use to when I had my gallbladder but now I just dry heave and the air stays usually until 24 hours. It can happen just because I took a sip of milk (happen last week) or a sip of coke which is what happen to me this morning and now I'm paying for it. If I take Beno before hand I'm usually ok but sometimes I do ok without it so I never know. Once I get the gas pain nothing helps. I just have to wait it out and suffer. I have tried Gas X, Beno, all kinds of acid reducers, anti nausea meds, and Probiotics. I don't even get to see my real GI doctor anymore its only his assistants and I have told them all of my symptoms they just try me out on different acid reducers. I asked what should I do about the gas they just said theirs not much I can do about it because its mainly caused from what I eat but that's not true sometimes I'm able to eat and drink without taking anything and I'm fine. I don't want to be like this forever its very miserable and frusterating. I just recently started babysitting for my friend and I noticed that when I have to wake up early in the mornings I get sick weather its acid and nasuea or gas pains all day. I hate feeling like that while trying to work. My boyfriend also has stomach problems and he gets real nasous and throws up acid or whatever he ate for dinner every morning right before he has to go to work and he usually gets better but some days it lasts all day. When hes off work hes fine. Its like something in the mornings triggers our stomach problems and makes them worse. I would just like to get to the bottom of this. Does anyone have any ideas whats good for gas pains? and whats the best kind of acid reducer? Any extra tips would be helpful. Thanks.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. The symptoms could be related to the acid reflux/ gastritis or other reasons such as GI infections, inflammations, parasitic infestations, hormonal/ endocrine issues, micronutrient deficiencies, GI motility issues, connective tissue disorders, stress/ anxiety, dietary causes etc. Well, without a definite diagnosis at hand it would be difficult to suggest a specific management plan. I would suggest getting this evaluated in detail by an internist or a gastroenterologist  for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!