Gastroenterology Community
Gastritis and Oxycodone

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastritis and Oxycodone

Hi.  I have chronic gastritis as well as GERD. I am also in Pain Management due to osteoarthritis in my lower back.  Has any found relief from gastritis flares with Oxycodone?  Thanks.
Hi Sue what is Oxycodone?  Do you get it from the doctors?  I too have chronic gastritis and it is agony on flare ups.  I take Pantoprazole,Gaviscon and I can take Sucralfate.  They don,t do much though. Its really awful isn,t it I hope you find relief for your pain too.
Hi.  Oxycodone is the generic form of Percocet.  I have never of pantprazole, but do take sulcralfate.  I also try home remedies of chamomile tea, honey and coconut water.  It is miserable....i just had an endoscopy a few weeks ago ( where they go down your throat with a tube and camera)  My GI said there's some inflammation there, which is what he told me the last time.  I agree how horrible it is when it flares up.  Eventually, it will die down.  How long do your flare ups last?
I have had acid reflux for about 7 years. It started out mild, then over the years got very bad. I take Omprazole (prilosec) morning and night, sometimes Rantidine (commercially known as Zantac) for really bad days. I can't eat much at a time (small stomach and easily upset by large meal) so I eat about 12 times a day (small amounts) to keep it stable. I even keep granola bars/snacks with me everywhere I go because in a matter of not eating for a couple hours the acid can start to build up and get very bad.

I've seen stomach doctors, had endoscopes, etc. It seems to run in my family. My grandfather had it bad, and my 2 brothers do too. One brother actually was foolish enough to ignore it and put up with the pain that he developed ulcers, which have mostly healed now that he is taking Omeprazole and such. My Intestines also get worked up in a knot with pain at times. I've woken up in the middle of the night after forgetting to eat before sleep with HORRIBLE acid pain. I'll drink down a glass of water/alka-seltzer and sometimes throw up everything because it hurts so bad. I can even taste how acidic the vomit is. Like it could dissolve metal.

Over the last few years my back has started to bother me. I ignored it as long as I could and finally started taking 20mg of Oxycodone (not percoset with Tylenol/acetaminophen because I don't like Tylenol or putting stress on my liver - so I take ibuprofen/aspirin instead.) I really don't like how they mix so much Tylenol with pain meds, I enjoy wine and while I don't think I'm drinking to the point I'm doing liver damage, I don't want to be taking Tylenol. Luckily my doctor was fun with just prescribing the pure Oxycodone after I told him I did not want extra meds for my liver to work on.

I can tell you this. The Oxycodone is *as much if not more* a relief to my stomach/digestive track as it is to my back. I don't know why, but it very quickly seems to greatly reduce acid production. If I didn't have back problems, I would still take the Oxycodone for my stomach alone. Although not many doctors would prescribe it for just that I think. For 4+ years I've been in nearly constant discomfort and pain with my stomach and sometimes esophagus (when I've let it go too far), and for the last 4 months of being on low dose of Oxycodone, I've had almost nothing. I even have lowered my dose of Omeprazole (Prilosec) to 1 pill a day or 1 pill every 2 days and my stomach stays feeling SO much better.

I have read Oxycodone can upset some people's stomachs. It doesn't mine, I take several other meds for other conditions and they never really seem to upset my stomach, just acid production does.

My dose is 20mg morning, 20mg 5hrs later, then 10mg evening as I kind of have a hard time sleeping on it. It makes some people sleepy, with my it activates my mind increasing my long existing condition of insomnia.

I'm glad someone else is questioning this. My Doctor was surprised the Oxycodone has a positive side effect on my stomach.

If anyone else has had the same benefit with Oxycodone relieving stomach acid production please post. I can't think we are the only ones.

Someone also mentioned it in this thread http://www.medhelp.org/posts/GERD-Acid-Reflux/Oxycodone-stopping-burning-stomach/show/1281602
Something else I forgot to mention, even when I don't drink for months - I still tend to have loosened stools and sort of a general feeling that my digestive track if often cramping at times when things upset. I take Loperamide (Anti-Diarrheal) 2mg 3 times a day - almost daily and it calms my digestive system down a little and results in more solid stools. Some of the problem comes from me taking ant-acids like Malox that contain magnesium with just the smallest of dose can send me intestines churning like crazy. I try to just use Alka-Seltzer gold (the gold comes with no aspirin, as I mentioned before - I don't like mixed meds, I know what to take of each).   Anyway, since the Oxycodone slows down the digestive system (why abusers can get clogged up), I'm pretty sure this is why I feel a relief in my digestive tract too. As if the muscles aren't working so hard constantly (less grumble grumble). I'm probably taking 1/10th the amount of Loperamide now that I am on this.

Note: Typo in my last post "my doctor was fun with just prescribing"  was meant to be "was FINE with" not including acetaminophen. I don't think he found my appointment fun. :)