Gastroenterology Community
Gastritis or GERD?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastritis or GERD?

I have intermittent AF;  my cardiologist does nothing, but thinks I should see a gastronterologist, as acid attacks seem to bring on the AF (or it might be the other way around!).  This has been going on for years!  GP  does not make an appointment with a gastroenterologise, but he prescribes Omeprazol, 20mg twice daily, and Gaviscon, (which Helps). year after year.   After one of these 'acid attacks' I am scared to eat anything, as the pain can be so intense, as to double me up,  Almost anything I eat and drink then upsets the stomache.

Does acid production cause AF? or vice versa? what can I do? should I avoid certain foods and drinks
Oh, boy..........your GP thinks it's acid problems but doesn't tell you to change your diet or make lifestyle changes? Sounds like he/she isn't doing a bang-up job of trying to help you.

Yes, change your diet. Many foods can make acid problems worse. There's a decent 'starter' list on www.gicare.com under the diet button. In addition, google to find out reasonable lifestyle changes that might also make your life a lot easier.

If this has been going on for years, and the pain is that miserable, please consider telling your doc that you'd like to know the state of your esophagus and stomach first-hand via an endoscopy. And if you haven't been evaluated for H. pylori, add that request to the list as well.

Many people with acid reflux issues complain of heart 'skips' and flutters. You've got a good cardiologist. Follow his suggestion.
Yes, definitely agree to get a GI consult.
Not common but some meds can cause the AF, Omeprazole too.
I am in the middle of a GI nightmare.
The latest GI dic had me on Dicyclomine  and then Levsin.  I get Irregular heartbeats sometimes.  Well, they started one morning, lasted all day and into the night.  Went to ER the next morning to get checked and the ER doc said to stop those meds.  My cardiologist put me on a 24 hr monitor and I was ok and no problems since.  Must have been those meds.  Not all that common, I'm sure but people react to meds differently.
Very interesting, thank you Margo149
Thank you for this, I will look at the diets.  I don't think I have a good Cardiologist though,  it's almost 12 months since I was referred to him, I had AF quite badly, he put a heart monitor on for a week, during which time I had a lot of AF, most of it unknown to me.  All he has done since then is to put me on warfarin, shouldn't he be looking for the cause of the AF?  I know my GP should be sending me to a specialist for my stomache acid problems, I think he must be on a budget, I don't like to push too much.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers