Gastroenterology Community
Gastritis that wont go away

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastritis that wont go away

Well to start off I’m only 21 years old. I have been having stomach problems since 2006. I would get these really bad stomach pains in the upper center part of my abdomen sometimes it would even go to my back. It would just happen like once every 4 to 6 months and it would happen at night. The pain would get real severe, nothing would help and the pain would keep me awake all night then as soon as the morning came it just went away. As time went on during the night it seems like the pain would get worse and sometimes I would even throw up from feeling so bad and sometimes that would help the stomach pains, sometimes it wouldn’t make a difference. My mom and I always thought it was probably my gallbladder, but since it didn’t happen very often and only at night I knew the doctors probably wouldn’t be able to diagnose me correctly. As time went on the stomach pains would happen more frequently more like every 2 to 3 months. Recently since August 2009 I started getting real sick. I would feel real nauseated, with no appetite, vomiting, belching with no relief, when I have that constant belching I also have a feeling of fullness, and pressure from all the air. Some nights I would get so sick I would constantly feel nauseated and stay awake vomiting several times during the night. It was miserable. I have no health insurance, but I got so sick one day I went to an urgent care clinic and told the doctor all of my symptoms. He did a blood test, urine test, and an X ray and couldn’t find anything so he diagnosed me with gastritis. I don’t drink and I tested negative for H. Pylori so he figured it could be caused from stress since I just started going back to college and taking care of my 2 year old son. He gave me some Prylosec which I stayed on for a few months, but it didn’t help. The symptoms continued with the nausea, constant belching, vomiting, and those same stomach pains every few months. I then went to another doctor that thought it was probably my gallbladder so she did 3 different blood test and made me get an ultrasound to make sure it wasn’t my gallbladder. Everything came out fine so I got directed to another doctor that I have known for years. She looked over all of my test results and thought I had gastritis and possibly IBS so she put me on Zantac and IBS medicine. The Zantac seemed to help at first for a few weeks but then the symptoms came back. So I went back to her almost a week ago and she just gave me some medicine for when I have pain and some Pepcid that I’m suppose to take twice a day. I’m still having a lot of problems with gas build up and belching, with no relief it’s been occurring even if I don’t eat or drink anything. Sometimes the only relief is if I throw up, but it’s usually just a lot of air and maybe a little bit of acid. I try to avoid drinking a lot of coke, but I still continue to have problems with the constant belching and gas pains sometimes causing nausea. Sometimes Gas X will help with the gas pains and nausea, but sometimes I still feel sick and end up throwing up to get relief. It seems like the doctors are mainly concerned about the pain I get every few months and the acid reducers just aren’t helping. I don’t know what else to do. My current doctor said if the Pepcid doesn’t work then I will need to see a specialist, which I’m concerned about since I don’t have health insurance it could be very expensive. If anyone has any advice or similar problems they would like to share feel free to contact me. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.
I sympathize with you as I have had all the symptoms you described of since last month. I have always suffered from GERD but never to the point that nothing I have taken has worked. I have been diagnosed with gastritis and awaiting a biopsy. I have had the vomiting, the bad pain in the upper stomach under the rib cage that suddenly "disappears", the burps that barely escape my lips and offer no relief, on top of the horrible pain in my chest that kicked off these episodes. I couldn't eat for days. I have been reading about gastritis "attacks", which is what I think has happened to the both of us. My sudden pain and vomiting strikes at night, usually when I have overeaten. Cheese seems to be a BIG no no for me. My doctor prescribed KAPIDEX. It has helped greatly. I have been gaining my weight back (NOT THAT I NEED TO) lol but I am able to go out and eat with my family now (cautiously) but I am feeling a lot better. The only way to know whats wrong for sure is to have an egd. Perhaps there is some sort of community health care you may be eligible for? I was in college last semester and on many days I saw reps at tables offering healthcare. Also, I work in a hospital and most of them have financial screeners who may be able to help you with options in order to be seen by a doctor....you are not alone. This has been the most debilitating thing to happen to me yet so I understand.
Thanks for the advice. Im glad your medicen is helping you. Im going to try to rememeber your medicen and talk to my doctor about it the next time I go in. I was also in college last semester, but I didnt go back this semester because prt of the reason was due to all of my stomach problems. I knew it would cause to much stress and could make me worse if thats possable. I have been going to a clinic that is based off of income so its been good its just on the specialist Im not sure if their is anything like that. I know some hospitals do have charity programs that I might be elgible for it just takes a few weeks to be approved and it only helps out with certain things. I tried to apply for other health insurances, but one of them I had to be in college full time plus work part time which Im currently not able to do either one. I never knew that gastritis could make a person so sick all the time. Before I knew what was wrong with me I was worried it was something more serious as sick as I would get and for as long as its been going on with the stomach pain. When the doctor told me he thought I had gastritis I was totally shocked and relieved because I knew it wasnt suppose to be anything serious and I thought it would go away after medication. I guess I learned the hard way that it may not be serious but its not just going away so easily. Im still not sure what could of caused me to get gastritis if thats even what I have. What is an EGD? Im glad I have someone else who has been dealing with the same problem. I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope your medicen continues to help you.
egd is an upper endoscopy where the dr goes down your through with a thin, flexible tube while you are asleep. the test is like 5-10 minutes long and takes pictures of your insides to see the problem. a biopsy is usually done to find out what is causing the issues. gastritis is very hard to get rid of depending on whats causing it...it *****!
I was just diagnosed with gastritis in january 2010, just before my 26th birthday. This has slowed me down so much. I'm so sad  because its really painful at times. The gas and several # 2's a day. However I feel like I should stay positive and change doctors. Thank god I have the ability to do so. Finallly I know someone that has this same medical issue. I wish you the best and I hope that I can find relief like you did.  
Hey, well its funny you replied to me on this article because since I wrote this a lot of stuff has happen to me. I finally got insurance a month ago and have been to a total of 8 different doctors. I finally got my EGD done yesterday and I got dignosed with Gateritis and Acid Reflux. So now its offically confirmed I really do have gasteritis and on top of it acid reflux. My gasterologist just said I produce to much acid but their not sure why and he prescribed me Nexium but I have to wait for my insurance to approve it. Its been over a year since the very first doctor I went to thought that I had gasteritis based on my symptoms and Im still having a lot of problems with it. Its suppose to go away after taking acid reducers for a few months but thats apparently not true in my case. Im glad I finally know for sure what I have but Im still worried Im going to be stuck like this. I also went to my regular doctor today and Im extremely low on vitimin B12 which was causing me all kinds of creepy symptoms along with my stomach. My chlersterol was also high which is unusal for someone my age and Im not over weight but it was from me only being able to eat eggs because I have been having a really hard time with my stomach lately. I know what your going through this is a terrible thing i just hope we can find something to treat it and to get some relief. I have to get B12 shots monthly now because I cant absorb it because of my stomach problems. If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me.
Has anyone ever heard of hydrotherapy. This gastritis is bugging me out. My stress level have risen but yet I've failed to reach out to people because sometimes I'm so exhausted. I can't even fathom how my social life, love life, has been effected because of this. (Not that I've always been a social butterfly, lol). I am an advocate of alternative medicine and from time to time id like to find a GI doctor that really cares about the well being of their patients. All of these generic diagnosis with no solutions is making me wanna give up. So far I've tried prilosec, zantac and mega-zyme which is a enzyme supplement from the health food store. I'm still having issues with itching and I need advice. Happy thanks giving to all and there families!!
Hi have you decide to change your diet, perhaps eat more veggies and stops eating spicy food? With my experience with this digestive massacre, I've found that I still have a lot of flatulence but removing spicy food and acidic foods have helped with not making it worst. I was just curious and good luck with thanksgiving!
Yes, I don't hardly drink coke I really cut down on things that gas me up or make me throw up acid but Im realizing that It doesn't seem to matter what I eat sometimes I just get sick no matter what I eat and other days I can eat whatever I want. My stomach just makes to much acid and I have tried several acid reducers and other stomach medicens but still have problems. Im just hoping Nexium will help me. I don't eat much spicy foods. This has really affected my life too but Im trying to stay positive now that I know I really do have Gasteritis and acid reflux. I don't want this to take over my life and Im just thankful its not life threatening like it feels like to me sometimes. I think if maybe they find some medicen that will help us it will keep it under control. Its just finding the right medicen that works that takes time. Goodluck and Happy Thankgiving to you too!
Thank you for your postings. You have helped immensely. I have also been diagnosed with IBS, Gastritus, and GERD. It seems doctors just prescribe and advise, but don't really assist with the depression and frustration suffered with these conditions. That's where a forum like this is very helpful. At least we know we are not alone and that we are justified in our frustrations. Just keep on keepin' on and continue sharing. I feel so much better from reading exactly what I've been feeling.

God Bless!
Im glad me sharing what I have been going through has helped you. I think it also helps me to talk to people that have similar problems because it seems like healthy people just don't understand and its very frusterating and depressing. Im just glad Im finally dignosed officially but I just want to get better instead of just having to deal with it. If you ever want to talk Im here and I will listen.
I hope this is still an open discussion because there hasn't been a post since 2010. My girlfriend is going through this right now and to be honest I am more scared than she is.  Has there been anything new that you could tell us?
Im not sure what all your gf symptoms are but its been a long journey with all these stomach issues I have had. I did eventally get health insurance since posting this thats when I found out I also had a b12 defficency and vitimin D difficeny the b12 was causing all kinds of other non related stomach issues because since my stomach was so messed up I couldn't absorb my vitimins properly. Since I wrote this I got a GI doctor and I have had 2 upper endoscopys. In Feb. 2011 got my gallbladder out. They did a HIDA scan and said it didnt function correctly. The ultrasound didnt show anything wrong since I didnt actally have any gallstones. I still have stomach issues Im nowhere near as sick as I use to be thankfully but now my main problems are nausea, acid build, belching, and the gas pains. If I go to long without eating I start burping small quiet burps and feel weak, nasous until I eat and after I eat I can start burping pretty loud until I get the air out. When I get that gas pressure it can make my heart beat fast or pound and it feels a lil hard to breath. Its scary when it happens but anxiety can make it worse I usually just lay down on my stomach to relieve the pressure until it passes. I recently started working so at times its hard working like that but it normally don't last to long theirs just always a certain time during the day I don't feel good. Usually its in the mornings the earlier I have to wake up its pretty common I wont feel good at some point. I take Protonix everyday because my GI doctor still says I produce to much acid he did the 2nd endosopy after my gallbladder was out. Since I don't have a gallbladder anymore that pain went away but I do still get gas pain and somedays I feel like a big air bubble and its uncomfortable. I still try to avoid coke or caffine because it can make me nausous or gas pains and give me heart palpations. I found out last year I have a heart murmur and I get heart palpations often so I had a chest ultrasound done and as far as I know it didn't show anything. I'm pretty sure my stomach issues are affecting my heart. I still take b12 it seems to help and I take pottasium and magnisum for my heart. I take Beno before I eat or drink something that can give me those gas pains and when it happens I take Charco Caps. It don't help me completely but its better then Gas X. I haven't went back to my GI doctor since last summer they got to where I would only see the PAs and they weren't doing anything different to help me. I have read online that most people don't produce enough acid and it can cause similar symptoms but if that's the case I don't know why my GI is still saying I produce to much acid. They tell me to watch what I eat but it don't matter someday's I can eat something fine and the next I get sick before and after regardless. It ***** trying to live this way. I found a new GI doctor its just hard for me to get my new regular doctor to give me the refferals. Im wanting to see a heart doctor as well but again I need a refferal and Im tired of going to all these doctors to only get told the same thing or them not doing any more tests. I hope your gf finds out something and gets better.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers