Gastroenterology Community
Gastrointestinal Yeast Infection?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastrointestinal Yeast Infection?

My grandpa has been having severe GI symptoms for the past year or so.  His symptoms range from constipation to severe diarrhea, gas, abdominal cramping, vomiting, nausea, and severe weight loss.  He is 6ft and used to weight about 180. He is down to about 120lbs.   This all started when he had surgery to remove and biopsy a lymph node in his abdomen. He had colon cancer a few years ago.  His oncologist put him on chemotherapy before the surgery to see if it affected the lymph node. It didn't so they went ahead with the surgery. After surgery he had sever pain and heart problems. He was in the hospital for about a month and on antibiotics the whole time. The biopsy showed no cancer in the lymph node.  Since then he has had the recurring symptoms of diarrhea and constipation.   He eats and eats and can't gain weight.  He has had ct scans and MRI scans and they both show a blockage in his small intestine but they say he is too weak to remove it.  They have pretty much loaded him up on pain killers and anti-nausea medication and sent him home to sit and suffer.  He can't take the hydrocodone they gave him because it makes the intestinal pain worse because of the constipation it causes.

I was wondering if it is possible that he has a yeast infection in his small intestine? I know that when antibiotics are used for a long time this can wipe out the normal bacteria found in the gut.  Is it possible that yeast overgrew and are causing him to have the symptoms he is experiencing? Can it cause him to not absorb nutrients?  His symptoms are so bad that he doesn't have the strength to do anything but sit anymore. He tires easily and can't leave the house except to go to the doctor. He is pretty much chained to the bathroom.

I appreciate any input. Thank you!
It is possible, I dont know the total background, but its worth looking into. go to:
http://www.shastawellness.com/index.php?catID=3&pageID=11392
This is an article about Candida overgrowth (yeast) and what the symtoms (symptoms) can be. If he's bee on antibiotics for a long period of time, it wouldnt hurt to have him start taking probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in his system, make sure you get a strong one like iflora by sedona labs (thats what i take), and if it is yeast thats over grown, you should probably do a candida clense. (both you can find online or at a health food store) I would just make sure, you dont want to overlook a serious problem and assume thats all it is.
If you have any other questions let me know.