Gastroenterology Community
Gastroparesis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gastroparesis

Hi....I was recently diagnosised with Gastroparesis and IBS w/const.  I underwent a procedure where they injected Botox into the base of my stomach.  This seems to have helped some but I'm still suffering with the bloating and const. even though I take a Colace twice a day.

Just thought I would see if there are others out there with this and what else I can try.  

Thanks... : )
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Have you had all the basic testing done (gastric emptying scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT scan)?  Are you eating a low-fiber low-fat diet and eating multiple small meals every day?  What other laxatives have you tried?  I too have gastroparesis (fed through a J tube) and constipation (on colace, amitiza, and lactulose).
Thanks and yes...I've had all the tests you mentioned above done.  The only ones that showed anything was the CT scan showed a small kidney stone and the gastric emptying scan showed moderate to severe gastroparentsis.  I need to work on the multiple smaller meals...I typically try to keep semi-healthy snacks at work and just eat dinner.  I do try to eat low-fat...maybe I'm eating fiborous things and don't realize it.  We tried amitiza and it did nothing...also was on levsin which didn't help much either.  Also tried align and it did nothing.  I was thinking of maybe trying another probiotic to see if that might help.....and also trying something other than the colace.
I would recommend researching low-fiber foods.  Things to avoid are non-white grains (whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.) and certain vegetables.  If you wanted to try another probiotic I would recommend Culturelle (even though I'm currently taking Align).  If you haven't tried milk of magnesia or miralax, those would be two good laxatives to try.  Also make sure you are drinking enough water (I recommend 10 8 oz glasses).  Have you ever tried reglan, erithromycin, or domperidone (even though it isn't FDA approved in the US)?
Ugh and here I just bought brown rice thinking I was being healthy and it would be less fattening than the white rice...lol  I will make note of the probiotics and laxatives you suggested!  Pretty much all I drink is water.  I always try and have a glass next to me but maybe I need to make sure I drink a little more of it.  I don't think I've tried any of the meds yet that you listed.  The dr said he wanted to see me back in a month after we did the botox....I'm anxious to see what he has to say!!  Thanks for your help and suggestions!!  : )
Yes it's true that high fiber and whole grains are healthier, but they are really hard for gastroparesis patients to digest.  That's surprising that your doctor didn't try you on any of those meds before doing the botox treatment.