Gastroenterology Community
Gerd or something else called - eosinophilic esophagitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I too have been suffering for about 17 years for what I thought and still am thinking is acid reflux. I did fine for many years taking zantac and or prilosec. I lost 55 lbs and everything went away even though I stayed on zantac because I could feel some shortness of breath if I didn't take it. I gained about 30 lbs back and this past summer all the meds stopped working. My biggest problem with my Gerd from the start is that I feel like my food gets stuck in my throat or down in my chest. When first taking The prilosec it workd after about 2 months and as i said I have been getting by with that or zantac until this past summer. I was eating pizza and suddenly thought I was dying due to the pizza not wanting to go down. Stupidly I tried treating this switching back to prilosec otc myself. It helped for awhile. I had another bad attack with grilled chicken a couple of weeks ago and was forced to go to my dr. He currently has me on protonix which is not helping. I have been researching to try and figure out what in the world can be done about this. I am getting some of the weight back off but am afraid it is going to come off to fast because most days I am only able to get soup down. Here are my symptoms. My food feels like it immediately gets stuck in my throat. Upon drinking carbonated mineral water and, excuse my unlady like talk, burping it feels relieved somewhat but then comes right back with the next bite. I also have the shortness of breathe. I was told i do have a hiatal hernia when I had my second EGD. Eating is just not worth it right now. I have read about the silent reflux, Gerd, etc., I am going back to my dr. in a few weeks after making sure the protonix is not going to work. I was researching nexium tonight and ran across a site at the bottom of the ad that said, "WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GERD AND EOSINOPHILIC ESOPHAGITIS?" After reading the article it sounds exactly like what I have! Is this something that doctors know about? It sounds like it is fairly new. I don't like going to a dr and trying to sound like I have myself diagnosed, but at this point I'm ready to check into all possiblitlies. I am miserable. Does anyone know about this? I think my next step is going to be to have my 3rd EGD in the past 17 years since the protonix isn't working. Is this something the dr. will find while doing the EGD if the eosinophilic esophagitis is the problem? I've read something about a ring that would be in the esophagus?? or is this something I need to mention to him? I certainly don't know more than any health care professional, but I am getting desperate. Thanks to anyone that may know something about  this.

This discussion is related to short of breath.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Eosinophilic esophagitis is tested for by taking a biopsy during an EGD.  This would have shown up on your previous EGD's so I am pretty sure you don't have EE.  Have you had a swallow study?
No I haven't had a swallow study. The last EGD I had was 8 years ago. So this EE was something i just read about. Probably getting ready to have another EGD thought since protonix isn't working. However, just read on another post how the proton inhibitors need to be taken 1/2 hour or an hour before eating. I was taking it with breakfast because it said take with or without food. So.........I will try that and see. ????
This is an update to what I wrote on Jan. 25. I thought it may help someone else. I don't believe that i have the eosinophilic esophagitis. Thankfully, I have not had to have another scope. I have lost almost 25 pounds. Insurance wouldn't pay for Protonix. Went back to Prilosec. Have now switched to Prevacid and so far that has been working. I am feeling much better. I think I had an erosive esophagus again. Not overeating, losing weight and taking prevacid (AT least 1/2 hour before eating breakfast as said before) is helping me. I am still cautious about what I'm eating, but haven't had a major "scary" episode of having that food stuck in my throat feeling.
Good, I'm glad you've found something that is working.