Gastroenterology Community
Get rid of Barretts before it turns to cancer

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My barretts went to low and then high grade dysplasia and then a small cancer tumor. I had my esophagus removed and havent eaten well since. It was removed in 2007.  It makes sense to treat the Barretts before it turns to dysplasia.  They say only 5-10 % of Barretts turns to cancer --- well mine certainly did.

If you have Barretts and your GERD doesnt respond well with medications --- please consider having photodynamic therapy, Chemical or thermal ablation, endoscopic mucosal resection to get rid of the Barretts.  If you get rid of the Barretts -- less chance of turning to cancer. Get into a clinical trial if your insurance wont cover it.  You will need to probably travel to where the trials are done.  Well worth it if you can avoid esophagus removal.

This discussion is related to Clinical Trials for Barrett's Esophagus.