Gastroenterology Community
Granulation Tissue on Rectum POST Sphincterotomy??
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Granulation Tissue on Rectum POST Sphincterotomy??

I am 28 and have suffered with hemmrhoids and anal fissures for the past 6 years - and decided I had been through enough pain and scheduled an appt with the surgeon (because I knew it was THAT bad).
I had a lateral sphincterotomy and cauterization of internal hemmrhoids in February. About 2 weeks post surgery ... I started noticing some of the old symptoms - plus some new ones. Upon further examination ... I noticed that there was a spot of my rectum that looked like the incision had not healed and was very red and wheepy. The spot would also bleed slightly most all day. When I went back to the surgeon for my follow up ... he stated that it was a granulation tissue and he burnt it down with a nitro stick - told me it would heal - and sent me on my way.
That was a week ago monday ... the problem is back! And it actually looks a little larger?
Is this a normal complication of the sphincterotomy? What can be done to relieve this issue?

Any help would be appreciated!