Gastroenterology Community
Granulation Tissue on Rectum POST Sphincterotomy??

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am 28 and have suffered with hemmrhoids and anal fissures for the past 6 years - and decided I had been through enough pain and scheduled an appt with the surgeon (because I knew it was THAT bad).
I had a lateral sphincterotomy and cauterization of internal hemmrhoids in February. About 2 weeks post surgery ... I started noticing some of the old symptoms - plus some new ones. Upon further examination ... I noticed that there was a spot of my rectum that looked like the incision had not healed and was very red and wheepy. The spot would also bleed slightly most all day. When I went back to the surgeon for my follow up ... he stated that it was a granulation tissue and he burnt it down with a nitro stick - told me it would heal - and sent me on my way.
That was a week ago monday ... the problem is back! And it actually looks a little larger?
Is this a normal complication of the sphincterotomy? What can be done to relieve this issue?

Any help would be appreciated!
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Yes, problems with granulation tissue can happen with this procedure.  Granulation tissue can be very frustrating to try and treat.  It can be burnt off with a nitro stick, like you had done, but it often comes back.  I have experience with granulation tissue, but in a different location (in a stoma for a feeding tube) so the recommendation might be different depending on the location of the granulation tissue.  I know there are some creams that you can use that can help reduce the granulation tissue.  I would recommend following up with your doctor to see what other things can be done to help.