Gastroenterology Community
Green Stools & Abdominal Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Green Stools & Abdominal Pain

I have had green stools for over 6 months now. I have had very bad stomache pains. I was told I had IBS 6 years ago, but I have never had the green stools. The green stools are not every day, but are very frequent and most of the time are very loose, but they have been hard too. I wanted to check online before going to the doctors office and having to face them and then end up giving a stool sample. I would just like to get some ideas before I go and get myself checked out. Can anyone help?
I too have suffered from green stools off and on (weeks to months) at a time over the last 6 months. It all started with high fat content diet over a three day period combined with constipation.  This was a year ago now.  It progressed to a feeling like something is being squeezed in the center of my abomen where the solar plexus is located.  This feeling makes it where if I lay down flat or in a bed it makes me feel like I can't breath good.  If I try to make myself lay flat it makes me nauseated.  I haven't been able to sleep in my bed for over a year now. I have to sleep propped up on my left side on a couch with sleeping pills just to sleep.  I have been to numerous gastro and other docs with no help over the last year.  I have lost 25 Lbs in this time frame and have excessive burping all the time.  I have been put on just about every kind of gastro related medicine you can think of with no help.  I am currently waiting on an appt with an internal medicine doc at a university hospital.  I am hoping they will be able to help.  I am only 27 years old and have no prior medical history.  Was in perfect health prior to this occurence.  I also have not found many explanations for the green stool.  The only one I have been told by docs is if the colon transit time is too fast then that could cause the stool to be green due to a lack of bile absorbing  into the waste product.  I have also spoken to a friend who was told by a doc that stress can also cause the green stool.  I know how you feel and wish you the best and hope you get better soon.  If I get any answers I will post it back on here and I hope someone else with similar symptoms may post on here as well.  Someone  out there has to have some answers to these symptoms.  Forgot to add I have had 2 endoscopys , numerous X-rays,ekgs,ultrasounds,Ct scans, Hida Scans, with and without contrast, Barrium Swallow,H-pyloric test, hepatitis tests, and many more with negative results.  The only thing shows up is elevated bilirubin of .3 in blood work consistiently over the last year.  I also have jaundiced skin and yellowing around eyes.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers