Gastroenterology Community
Green poo???

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Green poo???

I have been a vegetarian for well over a year now, and for the past 2 days, I have noticed that my BM's are green. My diet consists of legumes, green leafy veggies, fruits and I also take spirulina. Have had the same diet for over a year and this is the first time this has happened. I have recently included almonds. Could I be getting to much iron in my diet? My BM's are normal, ie, no diarrhea, blood, etc., just this green color. In addition, I have no stomach pain, cramping, etc. Should I be worried?
How long have you used the spirulina?  Is it just recently that you've used the spriulina?  It might be the amount you're using if this is recent.  I don't think there is anything wrong with spirulina.  I use it myself.  If you're concerned about having too much iron, you should be able to discuss this with your PCP and ask to have it tested.  I usually have to worry about getting enough iron and I usually have to supplement iron, in spite of a healthy diet.

Any time something like this is not normal, it is good to get it checked out by your doctor just to be sure the cause of the problem is just because of what you've been eating.  Especially if you haven't changed your diet, including the spirulina, and this change is more recent.

Usually gall bladder issues cause pain and/or diarrhea along with green poo, but I would still have that checked.  Oddly enough, one can actually have symptoms that resemble gall bladder symptoms and not even have issues with the gall bladder.  So, perhaps the reverse is true as well.
  I typically put spirulina in my juice and have been taking it for over a year. However, it did occur to me that I just recently bought some juice from a health food store that has both spirulina and chlorella in it, so I believe that may be the source of the GP. My BM's are solid, but green, and there are no stomach aches, pain, etc. Will still bring it to the attention of my PCP though. Thanks.
Hopefully, it is just that touch of additional chlorella.