Gastroenterology Community
Green stool with excessive flatulence.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Green stool with excessive flatulence.

Back story: I've been told by doctor's that I have IBS, I have had a blood test for celiac's and it came up negative. I am lactose intolerant. I'm a former smoker, been cigarette free for over 2 months. I also used to drink a large amount of soda, which I have also recently quit drinking all together.

My issue, is a little over a week ago I started having flatulence that smelled much like sewage. Horrible and embarrassing. Typically in that past this would pass after a day or so. It wasn't passing. My GI system felt like it was mess, which would make sense with my diet that last couple months. I started out with constipation and light brown almost clay colored stool for 2 days, I changed my diet and started an elimination diet. I've cut out all dairy, gluten, soy, sugars and eggs about 4 days ago. I am now going between 1 to 3 soft BM's a day that are green. I'm not eating a tremendous amount of green veggies. Mostly romaine lettuce and cucumbers. fresh fruits, roasted turkey and nuts.  I have had 4 days worth of BM's like this, and now I'm getting little concerned, as I've never noticed this when changing my diet before. I still have the horrible smelling flatulence, and feel like I'm not completely evacuating when I'm having a BM. Will this eventually pass? Should I be concerned? What do I do about the excessive, sewage smelling flatulence? It's never been this bad before. HELP!!
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Flatulence could occur due to stress, aerophagia, gastroesophageal reflux, malabsorption syndromes,  lactose intolerance, GI infections/ parasitic infestations, increased dietary intake of oligosaccharides, dairy products beans, lentils, onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, turnips, rutabagas, radishes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cashews, oats, wheat, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage etc. You could start by making changes in your diet. If this does not seem to help, I would suggest consulting a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949