Gastroenterology Community
H. pylori infection/stomach problems/heart palps

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

am a healthy 16 year old female.  I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I also don't drink or eat anything with much caffeine in it.  I never had any serious medical problems, until about 2-3 months ago I started getting these really annoying heart palpitations.  It felt like my heart was pounding extremely hard in my chest and alot faster than usual.  I have no idea why.  Some nights it was so hard to sleep because of it.

I tried to ignore it and hoped it would go away, but after a few weeks, I asked my dad to take me to the clinic.
I had my vitals checked, and they were a bit fast, so the doc prescribed Atenolol for me to take once a day.
The next day, I saw my internal medicine doctor.  I had an ultrasound done of my heart and a breathing test done.  He also drew blood.  Everything was normal.  So he said to check back in a couple of weeks for a few more tests.

But later during the week, I woke up one morning feeling REALLY sick and my heart was pounding extremely fast.  I though I was going to throw up, but I didn't.  So my dad drove me to the hospital and I stayed there for 5 hours.  I felt like I had acid or something in my stomach.  It was awful.  But I eventually went home.

After I was released, I was still really sick.  I have these horrible flu-like symptoms and I'm still having heart palpitations that make it seem like my heart is going to jump out my chest any minute!  I went to the hospital again and stayed for 2 1/2 days.  Had 2 ultrasounds done of my heart (one doc said he thought he saw a hole in my heart, then another doc said i didn't), and blood, urine, and stool tests done also.  Then I went home. The doctors called eventually and told me I had an H. pylori infection in my stomach or intestines.  I was so relieved, because I thought that was the whole reason I was sick.
But after finishing all my antibiotic medicine, I still feel really sick all the time.  And my throat and stomach feel really sick all the time, too. It's  like I have a flu or something.  I'm scared and my parents are getting mad at me because I tell that that I am too sick to go to school, and I really AM!  I know they're fustrated because they don't know why I am sick, and I don't even want to think about the doctor bills.  

The doctors say that even if I am "sick", that it's not serious or life-threatening.  But it's actually destroying my life.

My symptoms are:

- Constant hard, heavy heartbeat (I can feel my heart beating ALL the time; pounds so hard it makes me shake a little
- A "sore" or "upset" stomach, hurts REALLY bad most of the time.  Especially after eating, then it's even worse.
- A constant weird "hungry" feeling in my stomach.  It's hard to explain.  Like there is pressure or something.
- A constant yucky, disgusting feeling in my throat. (Probably my first worst symptom).  It feels all swollen and gross.
- Irregular periods (most of the time I don't get them for months).
- Sinus problems (runny nose, headaches/sinus pressure, etc.)  But I can live with that.
- Tight pressure in my chest (makes me short of breath and I have to yawn and sigh alot).

So my main symptoms are a pounding heart, a yucky, REALLY disgusting, and swollen feeling in my throat, and horrible stomach pains and pressure in my chest, and weird periods.  No one can tell me what's wrong with me and I'm afraid that maybe I will always feel like this. I feel just awful.  I just wish I knew what I had...

I have had several blood tests done, 3 ultrasounds, a stress test, a breathing test, urine and stool tests, electrocardiograms, and I wore a Holtor monitor for 24 hours.  I'm still waiting for the results of my recent blood test and urinalysis, and they are going to check my thyroid and blood sugar, ect.  But it's my stomach, throat, and pounding heart that are making me sick.  I don't think it's my thyroid.  I think something is wrong with my stomach or something.  I'm also going to get an endoscopy done this week, so I'm hoping they find something but not anything real serious.  Get a PAP smear and an MRI.  Maybe get checked for Lyme.  Also another ultrasound of my heart and stomach (just to make sure!).  But I feel SO sick.  I'm trying to continue living my life, but I just feel like I have this constant "flu" thing that I just cannot get rid or even get diagnosed.  I sound like a hypochondriac, I know, lol.

Also, alot of times when I belch, acid or bile comes out my mouth.  It's really weird.  And I think my heart is probably ok, but that maybe it's just reacting to something in my body that shouldn't be there.

Al I know is that I had an H.pylori infection.  Could it have caused/triggered something that is making me feel so sick?
I just hope I don't have a deadly virus, infection, syndrome, disease, whatever.  Even though I feel really awful all the time, I don't think I'm going to die or anything.  I'm just afraid that I'll never feel better.  I've been sick for months.

Please help me if you can!  Any advice, thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc. are GREATLY appreciated! xD

Could it be acid reflux or GERD? Stomach cancer? Or some other weird stomach infection? A parasite?
hi, stop stressing, being positive for h-pylori and taking medication to kill it doesnt relieve your symptoms immediately, your gp should have prescribed ant-acid medication along with the antibiotics, it takes time for you to get relief, also depends on how much damage the infection has done to your stomach linning and if youve developed ulcers or not. as for your fast and hard hearts beats and palpitations, its easily remedied just by taking mylanta or gaviscon from your local chemist, it will give you immediate relief, you can use this ant-acid medication until you undergo your endoscopy, cheers.
Just thought I'd add this, ayri.

To bring you upto speed, I have almost the exact same thing as Sarah, except for about 10 months now (sadly, almost its 1 year anniversary... lol). NO doctor can find anything wrong, and I find it ridiculously coincidental that Sarah and I, both teenagers, looked for answers here around the same time (again, because all doctors are perplexed). Now about your suggestions:

I've tried Maalox, a well-known anti-acid/heartburn/etc. thing for two days straight at one point, a few months ago. Quite simply, it did nothing to reduce the palpitations OR strong heart beat. If it works for Sarah, awesome -- but I have my doubts. Although I haven't yet been diagnosed with h.pylori, I wouldn't doubt if the tests I do in the near future come up positive.

Oh how I wish it were that easy ...
hi, first i strongly urge you to have a h-pylori breath test, as with the heartburn and palpitations, basically when you eat, your brain sends signals for acid to start flowing to digest your food, for a normal functioning sphincter (door to your stomach) this door opens and closes, once enough acid is produced, the door closes, and acid stops flowing. but people with gerd(acid reflux) this door sometimes remains open and acid is overproduced, when this happens the digestive system is overworked and hence the strong heartbeats and palpitations, if simple over the counter ant-acid medication dosent relieve it, here is one alternative which works for some people- grab a little piece of bread and swallow it, this sometimes closes the sphincter, but dont eat anything after until your next meal, this is only temporary ofcourse, have you had tests for your heart to rule out heart disease? if so and all is fine, then go for the h-pylori test asap. cheers.
Sarah,

I feel for you girl! I don't hardly ever make comments on sites that I'm not a member... but after reading your post I felt that I had to try to help you a little if I could. I had a similar problem in Jan of 2007 at the age of 33. My stomach started hurting...like carzy hurting and burning, and my chest, and I had a fast heart beat and then it felt like someone was standing on my chest at one point. I would try to eat but just throw up. I thought for sure I had an ulcer as I was working a really really stessful job at the time. It almost felt like I had a touch of heart burn but it wasn't really in my chest or throat-it was down in my stomach. To make a really long long story short -and to leave out the absolute waste of a hospital stay I endurded as well- I got a diagnosis-but not without a lot of work on my part-much as you are doing here today. I too suffer from a constant running nose, and had lots of sinus problems growing up as a teen and in my tweenties. I also have allergy problems. So, I was diagnosed with Eosinophil Gastritis. It just takes a simple biopsy via a scope down your throat (they knock you out-no big deal). They can also do blood work a check your EOS level. I found out I have food allergies as well as environmental-pepper and mushrooms-google EG and you can get a lot of info about it - I bet with your running nose etc. you may have some kind of gastritis. Hope this helps-P.S. How dare your parents get mad at you for being sick-like it's really your fault? I thought I was really going to die when I was at the height of my sickness. That was the sickest I had ever been in in my entire life-good luck to you and I hope you get an apology once you get a diagnosis.
Can i just say that while the thing i am going through is completely different i totally understand what you mean when you mentioned that you feel your parents are getting mad and frustrated because my mother was the same. I run her shop and it felt after week 5 that everyone was getting over me. Like i was putting this on! like i wanted to be sick!  You need to just try and get better, focus on yourself and not worry about what they think. I know they are your parents and you worry about them, but it is their job to worry about you not the other way around.

Your stressing could also be making things a little worse, as i have been told myself. If you ever need someone to talk to late night whatever, im here, i know that being alone can make it harder, so feel free to throw me a line if you need someone to just talk to, vent, even just to know your not alone in being sick. Im here, hope your results come back fine. XD Em
Yeah, I've had literally tons of testing done for the heart (valve issues, heart disease, etc.) like 100+ hours of holter monitoring, stress tests, EKGs, blood, urine ... you name it. I was like Sarah in my initial first few months, very scared and frantic to find answers. But 10 months later and while I still desperately want some answers - I've come to understand a lot of the problems and how to deal with 'em.

Interesting bread theory, though. One question: Does it matter which type of bread? Fresh/pre-packaged? White/whole wheat? Might just try that today.

Hopefully I take an h.pylori test soon, just so I know for certain. Things are hectic with University...

Thanks so much, ayri, for all of your help! And that goes for everyone else as well. You're all very supportive on this website I see, great for both Sarah and I.  :)
hi again, forgot to mention that theres another way of slowing your fast heartbeats, grab a paper bag and exhale into it and inhale the same carbon dioxide out of it through your mouth dont breathe through your nose, do this for about 20 seconds, it should give you immediate relief, cheers.

Sarah and Others,

As far as fast heartbeats....when I was in the hospital-they checked my heart with an  AKG etc. and everything was fine and what they ended up discovering was that I was actually dehydrated. I was so sick and my stomach hurt so bad that I was not drinking enough water or eating ( which is also where you get a lot of water). As soon as they put in an IV with liquids, my heart beats slowed down and I felt better..hell just being at the hospital knowing that somebody was doing something to help me slowed it down I think.  

Also, I meant to give Sarah this website before to take a look see if her symptoms match and of these...www.apfed.org..click on 'EE'

Rachel
Im going through the same thing....not sure what it is yet but the symptoms are the same....it is literally destroying me!!!!

feel free to visit my profile if you want to chat
Would like an update on your condition. I have gone thru years of stomach problems but am so much better now. One was H Pylori and I took the 14 days of meds (back in 2001) and the Metronidozole (Flagyl) caused me post nasal drip for months afterward, which irritated my throat very badly and the Protonix kept me awake.

(I recommend anyone NOT take Flagyl - it's a nasty drug with ongoing side effects that are sometimes irreversible - some people have gotten acid reflux from it!)

Heart palpitations are scary and worrying (anxiety) makes your heart beat very fast - I was taking Benadryl for my post nasal drip and I'd awake with my heart going over 200 beats a minute, slamming in my chest! Once I got off the Benadryl, my heart was fine. Also, make sure your blood sugar is okay - a drop can cause heart palpiations and a sickly, flu-like feeling.

What did the endoscopy say? You do sound like you might have gastritis with esophageal irritation and perhaps spasm. The empty (gnawing) feeling in your stomach can indeed be caused by the H Pylori as it did with me.

This is what helped me: low sodium crackers, graham crackers, A & W root beer (cherry bark in it, no citric acid and no caffeine - just sip as needed), chewing gum! Because chewing gum creates saliva which soothes the throat. And acidophillus tablets. I was eating yogurt with acidophillus but the dairy contact was causing gas, bloating and irritating the gastritis.

I hope some of this is beneficial to you. A barrium swallow would also show if you have some type of reflux. It's not invasive and it's painless.

Also, stay away from mint, chocolate and caffeine (which relax the sphincter at the top of your stomach and allows food up into your esophagus).

My prayers are going out for you Sarah and everyone who is suffering from stomach/esophagus problems. Take good care!
Oh, and simethicone for the gas (phazyme is great). You can't believe how bad you can feel when gas builds up - it can range from painful in your joints, intestines and back - to nausea, headache and anxiety!!
Have they done a stool test to make sure the bacteria was gone? Some strains are antibiotic resistant. The breath test can give false negatives, and the blood trst will always be positive once you've been treated, because they're testing for antibodies which your body keeps producig even post-infection. So it has to be the fecal test. The bacteria still might be present.

Hope you'll be properly diagnpsed and treated soon! All the best..
My husband was also diagnosed with h.pylori and took the 14 day medicine.   He actually had night sweats as well as the stomach pain and diareaha.   We went to many doctors because it wouldn't let up and it was very painful to him.    Finally we went to the Mayo Clinic in MN and they said he had some nerve damage and small ulcers  in his stomach.   They recommended fiber - he has been eating 25-30 grams of fiber a day (high fiber cereal, fiber bars and citrocel - either liquid or tablets) to make up the 25-30 grams per day and it has stopped the pain and the rapid heartbeat.   You may want to give it a try - he would have tried ANYTHING to feel better!   You have to give it 3-4 days to really determine if it works.  Take the fiber throughout the day, not all at once.