Gastroenterology Community
HIDA Scan with Ejection Fraction is this necessary?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

For about 4 1/2 months I have been having pains in my abdomen and in my back. At first the doctor thought I had a kidney infection so he ordered and I.V.P, that came back normal. Then I started vomitting and my abdomen right above my belly button became tender, and the pain seemed to settle a little bit more to the right. When these symptoms started he ordered a Upper G.I, which also came back normal so he prescribed me Nexium which helped with some of the vommitting and nausea. Since I was still having pains in my side (mostly my right) he ordered a small bowel series, and an ultra sound of my Gallbladder which also showed no problems. Meanwhile between all these test I have noticed that about 75% of the time if I eat something some of it will come back up, and I have been going to the bathroom about 4 times a day and about half of the time my stool will be very pale.I have also had the gallbladder attacks that everyone has talked about where it hurts on my right side and goes into my back and no matter what I do it will not go away. I have had atleast one of these attacks a year for about 3-4 years but in the past couple of months I have had 3. I was wondering if it sounds like my gallbladder is the culprit and if I really needed the HIDA scan especially since all of the other test came back normal.
You should ask for a HIDA scan with CCK injection. A lot of tests can come back normal, but if your ejection fraction is very low it can indicate that your GB isn't working well and you may need to consider surgery. And if by pale, you mean a whitish or grayish stool, then it's very important to talk with your doc about that. It means that your common bile duct is not releasing bile as it should which could be a problem.

If you're vomiting bile (not clear fluid), it is also something that your doc should know about.

I had my HIDA scan today and I was wondering about a few things. The lab technician allowed me to watch everything that was going on by looking at the monitor and I noticed that the first injection had no problem going from my liver into my gallbladder,  and the technician even commented while he was explaining things to me that if something was blocked they would have expected it to not have gone through as fast. Then when they injected the Kenevac they said that most people felt some nausea and some cramping but I felt none of that at all. I also noticed that all of the contrast dye did not completely leave my gallbladder after the 30 min; and I was wondering if all of this was normal or if it is a sign that something is wrong.
did you say you had an ultrasound yet?  That's when we saw my stones. ANd my ejection factor was way low.

I felt indigestion when they gave me the Ken/ injection

Also may need to check motility- the easiest test of them all- just eat radioactive eggs and take some pics- nothing to it!
My 18 year old daughter had the exact same symptoms as you.  We also had an ultrasound done that came back normal.  We then had a Hida scan done which showed her gall bladder was only working at 15%.  She had her gall bladder removed 10-2-08.  The Hida scan was very helpful to us.  I hope the results of your Hida scan will give you some answers.
I had a HIDA scan done yesterday. You said that the first injection was not slow for you, and you had no pain with the second. I was told that the first injection was slow for me, so the tech had me drink water to try to "get things to move along." The 2nd injection didn't cause pain for me, I just got a grumbling feeling that was strange and not painful. It was almost like extreme stomach growling and a throbbing sensation. I don't know what this means, and does the slowness indicate a problem? Good luck to you.
Did your Hida scan show up anything?  I have a GB ultrasound and Pipada test next week. There's intermittent pain in my upper right stomach. Does this test always include a Hida scan?  I had my GB checked for mobility approx. two years ago where I ate radioactive eggs; is the GB untrasound (Hida scan) the same thing?  Thanks.
If you ate radioactive eggs you had a gastric emptying study not a HIDA.
This went on for 16 months I felt pressure under the rib cage, and on the right side I had  nausea . dry heaves low grade fever  dizziness  weight loss  every single test (6 parasite checks, 2 TB tests  3 lymes check,  HIDA MRI baruim swallow and follow through, CAT ultrasound all negative The OBGYN did  exploratory pelvic surgery and they removed a  few small ovarian cyst my OBGYN told me to there is no way that small ovarian cysts can cause the symptoms I was having. she suggested just having my appendix removed to see how I feel .... My husband suggested to take a look at my teeth ...I went to a holistic dentist and had both root canal extracted because I had read root canal  it can make you super sick can even be fatal . Beneath  the root canal I had a major infection the dentist did bone grafts and  tissue graft then I had IV antibiotics for a few days   root canal  causes focal infection meaning the infections effects other organs usually the weakest or it usually goes for the heart! Wwho knew? The focal infection went for  my  appendix which I'm having  removed since this is where all the pain is now  Point of the story is you may be surprised at what is causing abdomen issues.
I have gallstones and have a bitter taste in my mouth all the time. Has this happened to any of you?
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers