Gastroenterology Community
HIDA Scan

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

HIDA Scan

I'm going in for a HIDA Scan today and I'm pretty nervous. My doctor said that the test is non-invasive, just quite boring as it takes 2.5 hours. After doing a bit of research online I've learned that there is a bit on pain involved, sometimes severe, once the CCK is injected. Can anyone tell me what to expect when I have this scan done? What does it involve exactly? I was only told that I would be receiving an IV and that scans would be taken of my Gallbladder and that's it. Is this all it involves?

I'm really nervous that the test is going to come back and say that my Gallbladder is functioning normally. I want it to say that it isn't so that this nightmare I've been living in for 2 months can be over with.
Had my HIDA Scan done and it was nothing at all. Had to lay on a table for 2 hours with a camera over my abdomen while dye reached my gallbladder to "fill" it. After the gallbladder was full I was given CCK to make my gallbladder contract and "empty". During this period I did have some discomfort and had shooting pains up my back and towards my shoulder a couple times. It wasn't any worse than what I've been feeling for the past few months. It was actually less painful. After my test the technician said that it would take a few days to get the results from the doctor. Now it's just a waiting game.
I had a Hida Scan on Aug. 18th. My gallbladder was fine, but by accident they found out that my sphincter (bile duct from pancreas) was not opening. I have been living with this pain for 6 months. It's the same pain as a gallbladder attack. I now have to go for an ERCP, but it has to be done by a specialist. I am sure thankful that they finally found the problem. Just waiting for the appointment with the specialist. Good luck to you.