Gastroenterology Community
HIDA TEST RESULT IS 18%

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

HIDA TEST RESULT IS 18%

I'm had a RUQ sharp pain and they suspected gallstones. My ultrasound is normal. No gallstones and no sludge. My HIDA test result was 18%.

The doctor said she needs to take out my gallbladder because it is not functioning properly. I decided to keep my gallbladder and instead tried a diet.

Here's what I've done:

1. I'm taking Tagamet HB200 (OTC), two to three times a day (morning, lunch, dinner).

2. Avoiding fatty foods and eat fruits, wheat bread, green salad and no other liquids except water.

3. Smaller meals and saltines when I'm hungry.

I've been feeling better now and don't have RUQ attacks yet after my HIDA scan. So for those who are diagnosed with a LOW HIDA result but doesn't have any gallstones or sludge. DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR GALLBLADDER right away. It maybe an ulcer or gastritics and diet might help!
Tags: test, Pain
The diet and meds will certainly help the symptoms - for now.  I had the same problem: no stones, and the ejection fraction wasn't even as low as yours.  Borderline surgical case.  However, I was feeling so awful I pushed for surgery.  Good thing too, since my gallbladder was so infected it was ready to rupture.  The infection also caused a ton of scar tissue to form all over my small intestines that have caused me a lot of grief in the past 10 years in the form of constant small bowel obstructions and even an 18" colon resection.  

Moral of the story:  there's a reason your gallbladder isn't functioning correctly.  It didn't just stop working because it's sulking.  Since you don't have stones, it's more than likely infected.  Sure, it's not life-threatening now, and you can certainly live with a chronically infected gallbladder, but do you really want to?  Gallbladder surgery is one of the simpler surgeries you can have.  Please at least consider what your doctor is telling you.  I would hate to see you end up like me with a belly full of adhesions.  Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
If my gallbladder will bother me a lot, then I think I'll have to take it out. However, most of the cases here didn't resolve the symptoms. Pain come and go even after the surgery. So I'm trying a diet first.

MrClownfish
Im getting mine removed in a couple weeks, its function is at a low 8% and the pain is severe almost daily now. i heard its a fast recover and you have diareah for a few weeks but hey its better then this pain.
Good luck on your surgery!

So far, I don't have pain still since my last post. Sticking with my diet and keeping my fingers crossed.
What kind of pain are you having?  I had a HIDA scan yesterday & get the results monday.  I have horrifying pain in my stomache,  upper & lower.  I didn't think that lower abdominal pain can be a symptom og gall bladder,  but some people have told me it can hurt all over.  
You might have appendicitis, gallbladder problem or ulcer/gastritis. If ever your HIDA result is lower than 35% or the result is normal follow my advise above.

Have a check for appendicitis too.

Good day, I've had RUQ discomfort for over 7 months.  I've been to a GI specialist and a surgeon.  I've had a CT scan, HIDA, sonogram.  No evidence of stones but everyone seems to keep thinking gall bladder is the culprit but no hard evidence to support that theory.  I'm waiting for a call back from my surgeon to further talk to him about having a different type of HIDA test, but whose name escapes me now.  The pain has always been on a low number, like a 3 or a 4 on a 1-10 scale.  It's not painful, but it is annoying already!  Anybody with similar experiences of a long duration and what were the results? Thanks.
scared to death... for a week i have been feeling sick as a dog, my eyes hurt i just feel sick it all started with really bad stomach cramps and pain under my right rip cage... I know I have a single gallstone 1 cm big my right side of back hurts and i feel nauseated.... i am worried I have an appointment with a surgeon to get a HIDA scan done on 18 August... how do i know that my gallbladder wont rupture until then? I am very scared. How do i know I dont have an accute infection?
just go to the emergency if u can't bear the pain anymore
Number 1 what is RUQ discomfort?  I'll look that up here in a few.  Number 2, my pain seems to be in my back, right under my right shoulder blade.  I also have nausea right after eating, a bloaty feeling, and very weird looking stools.  Dos this sound like gall bladder stuff to anyone?  My ultrasound came back normal.  I go for the HIDA test on August 16th.
My Hida scan score was 18% too!  I jsut had it done last week.  I've been experiencing TERRIBLE bloating, but no pain on the right side or after eating (I also have no stones - ultra sound was fine).  The surgeon was going to remove my gallbladder and then decided not to because he thought my problems sounded more like IBS.  I don't know what to do because I don't have typical IBS symptoms (bathroom issues are normal).  I just bloat, have a full/nausea feeling.  Jaybay's comment scared me - at first I was glad I didn't have surgery - now I am afraid because I don't want something infected!  I did go to a  GI for a second opinion and they didn't think it was urgent to remove the gallbladder - said if it becomes painful then do it - but this bloating is bad, I truly can't fit into my clothes!  I look 4 months pregnant - anyone else have problems with bloating?  The only other thing I experience is that at times I have a pressure feeling under my upper left rib - they thought it maybe part of my large intestine (the IBS thing).  I have had a LOT of abdominal surgeries in the past 20 years - 3 c-sections, hysterectomy, two seperate oopherectomies ( all 6 operation required them going through the same incision - hip bone to hip bone) and 2 laporoscopies.  I am filled with scar tissue and I want to avoid another surgery if it isn't necessary.  Any advice?  Thanks

Hi Jeanie,

My gallbladder is NOT inflamed but it's 18% working. So I decided to keep it. In you case, you said you stomach is bloated, mine is not. I experience gas once in a while. My gastro doctor gave me Nexium and diet help also helps.

Get a 2nd opinion. But if you don't have gallstones and your gallbladder is not inflamed. Keep your GB and stick with my tips above. Diet, diet, diet. It's a big help for me.

Mr Clownfish