Hair loss and IBS or IBD?
29 yr. old female. I have been tentatively diagnosed with post infectious IBS. There are more tests to do but my doc feels comfortable with this diagnosis. For the past three years, I have been losing hair at a higher than normal rate. All the hairs coming out are in the telogen phase so my dermatologist feels that I have telogen effluivum, or temporary hair loss. My question is, could the IBS be causing my lower intestinal tract to not absorb the nutrients I need to foster a healthy head of hair? I've also heard of a link between hair loss and Chrons disease (IBD). I feel my IBS could actually be IBD due to some other symptoms that don't quite fit IBS. Does anyone have any info on the link between hair loss and these disorders? Would taking additional vitamin supplements be a waste if they won't be absorbed or is it just the vitamins from the food I eat that can't be absorbed due to IBS. (or IBD) Sorry for the long question but after over 3 years, I might finally have an answer to the horror I've been experiencing.

Thank you!
I so wish I could help. Because I have the EXACT same question/problem. I've had the same problems/discomfort/side effects for about 8 months now. I'm very curious to know if there is a link between IBS/digestive problems and hair loss, because I think i to have the same link.

Can anyone shed some light?
Thank you,
I'm afraid I don't have any answers either, but I also feel that I'm loosing hair much faster then I should be and its definitely not growing back in as fast.  And recently I've been dealing with a lot of tummy troubles (yet to have a solid diagnosis) though I've had a sensitive stomach for a while now.   My doctor just passed it off as stress when I asked her what she thought about it.  I haven’t really thought much about it because I’m more focused on feeling better first.
I hope your thyroid level has been checked.  I have heard many people say that Armour Thyroid is better for them than Synthroid, and here is an article that may help explain why that might be, as well as what tests should be done:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/mercola.htm
hi, yes indeed, there is a definite link between some hairloss and small intestinal disorders especially the malabsorption of certain vitamins, i;e cealiac disease, fructose, lactose and glucose intolerances, cheers.
I'm 28. I, too, have been diagnosed with IBS for about a year now and have been experiencing hair loss for about 3 mnths now. This is not stress related because I've been under less stress during this time frame than ever. It's actually backwards that I'd begin losing my hair during the least sressful time of my life. So, this does lead me to believe that the IBS is causing it. I've been off the meds for about a month and the IBS symtoms have returned but still losing my hair so I don't think the medication was causing it. Plus, I would think if the meds were causing it, I would of started losing my hair closer to the time I began taking them. I, too, have found no other links between IBS and hair loss or links between the medications and hair loss but, like you, I feel like there is some connection.
Hi - I'm experiencing the same problems, and was wondering if any of you already found an answer to your question? Is there a connection between IBS and hair loss? And if so, what can be done about it? Will vitamin supplements prevent hair loss?
Thanks you very much!!!
Thank you very much!!!
Hi All,

I am definitely convinced that IBS can cause/ contribute to hair loss.  I have been experiencing hair loss for approximately 4 years now, and have had IBS for most of my life.  I also know 3 others who have had the same symptoms.  Although GP's don't have a lot of information on this topic, I have found that naturopath's do.  I have recently visited a naturopath and she has informed me of this link.  Since those with IBS have trouble absorbing nutrients, they are often low in iron, b12 and folate (and possibly other nutrients).  I have started receiving b12 injections, and take iron and b12 daily.  I also take strong probiotics to help the ibs and stay off wheat, dairy, acidic foods, and peanuts.  I have just started the supplements, however, and am very hopeful that they will help with the symptoms (dizziness, hair loss, aches etc.)  I will keep you posted on my progress!
I have been experiencing dizziness, right side pain (especially after eating), heart palpitations, chest tightness, bloated stomach(looking 4 months pregnant), constipation for 5yrs now with no concrete diagonsis. Just recently (6months) symptoms are worsening.....My hair has started thinning, my right side now burns, as well as causes my pain. I feel tingling and numbness throughout my whole rightside all the way up to my neck now!  When i first experienced the tingling of my right extremities i rush myself the emergency and after being there for 12hrs having had  x-rays, ultrasound, and C.A.T scan of my right abdominal area, and ekg of my heart all the test came bk normal. I am 32 now and starting from the age of 27, i have had Colonoscopy, EKG(many), seen a neurologist for my dizziness, stress test for my heart, wore a heart monitor holster for a month, bloodwork after bloodwork, thyroid test, and still nothing! My doctors arent even sure if they want to diagnose me as having IBS as of yet, so im not on any pain meds or anything to help reduce these symptoms. My constipation is so bad i was given Golightly(cleanser given to patients before a colonoscopy) last E.R. visit and that didnt wrk for 24hrs...and that stuff is so strong, it starts to work within 30mins of takin it!!! I just hope i dont have to deal with this debilitating pain for the rest of my life!!!! My burning sensations never go away either!!! On a level of 1-10 its a constant 1-2! I so use to it now its kind of a way of life for me. I it sometimes go away for a couple days and them its bk. I try to keep myself active to keep my focus off of it. I also notice that i have brain fog big time these days and its frustrating! My right leg is also a bother now. I am one of the healthiest eaters alive and so i am baffled by this! I dont eat process foods, i eat raw, i juice, im active, make my own meals from scratch, no restaurant foods, no aritificial sugars only honey and raw agave nectar, dont drink alcohol, ........Im in such a state of confusion......but i will continue to help the doctors help me by continuing my research, logging what i put into my mouth everyday along with my symptoms and blogging and hopefully this will result in some ans for all of us sufferers.
Just reading this discussion and relived to hear that there are others with the same symptoms as me. I'm a 30yr old female and have suffered hair thinning since my late teens and have always had tummy probs which I'm starting to think must be IBS. I'm also always tiredwhich is really annoying. Had what I thought were stomach ulcers a few times but doc now saying it was prob just bad IBS due to stress - always happened after a time of stress - i.e. after exams etc.

Anyway, really keen to find some solution to both IBS and hair loss and possibly tiredness if that is connected too. Has anyone noticed any increased hair growth / energy if or when IBS symptoms subsided? Does anyone know if treating IBS with diet could also help the hair / tiredness issue? Like a few of you I've been told it's all due to stress but really I don't think I'm that stressed all the time and certainly not since my teens so I think there's more to it than that. I've been recommended to take vitamins, drink more water, do more exercise and get more sleep. All obvious stuff but nothing making a real impact.

Any help advice much appreciated!
Thanks for this information. I'm 30 years old diagnosed with IBS in high school and have suffered sever horrible hair lossm the last two years. It's depressing!
I have been suffering from IBS for as long as I can remember, and I have been losing my hair for the past 4 years(starting at age 28). I became convinced I had thyroid abnormalities (every time I went to the hairdresser I was told to get my thyroid checked) I went to several Drs and a few months ago I found a Dr who would run every thyroid test available, but she also wanted to run a food allergy panel, thyroid came back normal, but allergy panel came back positive for dozens of allergies, I had already been gluten free, which helped my IBS to a certain extent, but now I I had to give up so much; dairy, eggs, red meat, spices, even a bunch of fruits and vegetables, I've been on this diet for 6 weeks and my hair has stopped falling out so much, my husband told me he thinks it looks thicker, and I've even let it grow longer, and it doesn't look thin, I hope that it continues to get thicker again. The other part of my treatment is a high quality multi-vitamin, digestive enzymes to help me break down my food to absorb nutrients better, L-Glutamine, an amino acid that heals the smooth muscle in your small intestine, and a probiotic, which also helps digest and absorb nutrients.
Good luck to you all!