Gastroenterology Community
Hard to pass stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hard to pass stool

hi its been one week of feeling constipated
when i try to go to the bathroom its so hard to get my stool out i feel like something is blocking it

anybody help
Oh, constipation is tough on a person.  Since yours is right there but won't come out, my suggestion is at the drugstore get BabyLax or PediaLax, it's a little box of tubes of ointment, you squirt two in there, and the stuff should come out in minutes, repeat once if you need to, and possibly once the next day.  However, there are times when even that won't work.

The reason it feels like something is blocking it, is because when waste won't pass, it gets more waste piled up behind it, and this pushes down on what's there and makes it hard, and the longer it's there, the harder it gets.  This can hurt when you finally do go, so ointment on there is important.  Once I was laid up in the hospital and got empacted from the pain medicines, and the nurse put on some kind of light plastic gloves with some vaseline on the fingers, and she gently "dug" it out of there, until she got to the soft part, and I finally had a movement.

You could TRY Senocot stool softener, it's natural and mild, and usually after taking a pill once a day for two days, stuff will come out, but yours sounds like it would need one of the methods I just explained.  To prevent this from happening in the future, unless you can't help it on account of it's medications doing this to you (in which case you drink lots of water and take Senocot), you should eat enough fiber foods, drink plenty of water, and exercise regular.
try probiotics , they have puddings and yoghort one little tub a day should help many have found this a really good way of staying regular .
thank you so much for replying

the stoold that i pass are not hard at all their soft but their so hard too pass like being in labor but when they come out their soft and medium size

even if i drink prune juice only a little will pass but still feel that something is stuck
I suppose you could try an enema, they have premixed ones at the drugstore, and see if that doesn't clear our whatever might be blocking.  Could be a swollen internal hemorrhoid is blocking the way or even a growth, in which case you should see your regular doc and let him look in there.  Try adding more vegies and salads, they'll "bulk up" your waste, even spagetti will give enough volume to your waste so perhaps it'll come out better.
Hi, I recently had the same problem but it turned into an ER visit. I have female problems so I thought it was because of that but I started throwing up bile, severe nausea, and having severe abdominal pain. I went to the reg doc everyday for a wk after that and it was horrible. They didn't do much. Even though the package says not to, do it. Use enemas and suppositories because you have to get the stool moving from the end. I had to take 4 enemas, 4 or 5 suppositories, Miralax, a rx called Amitiza (helps the muscles move the stool)...I had to do rounds of it for 3 wks to get things moving. I lost 3 pant sizes once I did but I also have pain still so I'm in the process of getting my gall bladder tested. You don't want it to get any further. You can get septic and your kidneys can malfunction too. You need to go to your doc and tell them if this is a continuous issue. If not, it can turn into one.
I too have the same issue..However I have a little back story. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Cholostrum Difficile (CDIFF) (I was 18). The hospital I went to at the time always would say my symtoms (symptoms) don't match my age..so needless to say I got pushed off quite a bit. I kept getting worse and worse, couldn't eat, constantly going to the bathroom (constant diahhrea with CDIFF) for 3 years this has been happening. I finally switched hospitals after I had a very scary episode of blood gushing from my rear. They denied me at my reg hospital so I went to the other..where I was diagnosed immediately with CDIFF again. With the severity of my symtoms (symptoms)...I had lost 60 lbs, couldn't eat anymore...could hardly drink anything, I was borderline getting a feeding tube. So about 3 months ago, they put my on some heavy duty meds that wore not responding to my body what so ever..but FINALLYYY after a month and a half of the meds...It was gone! Well, not completely but they were able to kill most of it off. Which brings me to now..I don't have CDIFF anymore so its not just...pouring out of me anymore..however, now. even when my stool is completely soft, I cannot get it out for the life of me! Everytime I want stool to come out I have to put a glove on a gently try and pull it out..I know it sounds gross but this is where I am at..:( I ended up with a uterine AND rectal prolapse...there is now talk about colorectal surgery and a historectomy) I just had my 4th colonosopy a little over a week ago, was told they took chunks from all over my colon for biopsy..they asked to schedule an appt with me to go over my results..they set it for sept 12..which at the time was ABOUT a month away..I've tried calling saying I would like any doctor to read me my results..they said my doc went on vaca. for 2 weeks and he wants to be the one to read them to me for any questions I will have...:( I'm getting suppperrrrrr nervous. When I try and push all I get is a ton of mucus otherwise a very thin like...french fry comes out...a lot of time there is a little bit of blood..not gushing , however not just a little dot from a possible hemmoriod either. I do not have krohns, nore celiacs...have also been tested for H Plyori.. I am scared...I have 2 little boys to take care of, I currently cannot get a job, stay in school, or even go about a regular life..at all. I cannot hold a child in my stomach because my muscles are too weak...my body is not able right now...I'M 23!!!!! What is happening to me!? I am soo afraid it is cancer of some sort..whether it's colon or stomach..
any advice and or thoughts is greatly appreciated
Brittany, after the antibiotics they gave you for the C. diff, did any of the docs tell you to start probiotics? Those antibiotics are extremely strong and they kill off not only the bad, but the good bacteria too. And those good bacteria are something we need. If no one suggested it, you might want to give it a try. There was also a decent website dedicated to discussing and helping those with C.diff an post-C. diff problems. It was (I believe) cdiffsupport.org. I haven't checked it in awhile, but you might want to seek it out and look at some of the posts on that site.