Gastroenterology Community
Has anyone had a Fundoplication?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Has anyone had a Fundoplication?

My 11 yr old had a fundo done on 12/05/06. She can not eat or drink anything. The slightest sip of water turns her in to a screeming banchee.  The pain is only in her chest.  Any ideas what to do to soothe her pain?
I don't have a clue, but I was wondering how she was doing?  Hopefully someone will come around with some good advice for you.  Please keep us posted on your daughter.
I haven't had a fundo, but I had the Stretta procedure done a few months ago and the inflammation in my esophagus caused a lot of pain for several weeks... every time trying to belch felt like rocks passing through my chest.  So there's a chance that it could just be a really sore esophagus post-trauma.  

Or if the fundo was done too tightly it could also cause havoc!  Trying to swallow I imagine would cause immense pain.

Maybe give something soothing, like throat lozenges or sucking on peppermint a try?
About a tablespoon of honey stirred thoroughly in a medium glass of milk will ease irritation in the throat.  And she's got to stay hydrated so her throat won't dry out.  The docs need to take a look at your daughter again.  Please keep us posted with what is going on.  We are concerned about your daughter.  Take her to the hospital ER if you have to.  They can give her an IV and examine her throat, to see if it has become overly irritated from the proceure.  God be with you.
Had partial done several years ago.  Recommend keep her pain meds on a very tight schedule.  As for fluids the more bland the better.  Her throat is going to be very tender for awhile.  If she is allowed to have smoothies make her favorite.  I used ensure high protein (banana flavor lest gross tasting.  So use a sorbet without seeds and a custard yogart with her favorite flavor. Sorbet is used to help swelling, ensure is used to help keep her albuim up to heal, yogurt to make it smoother. You can use any favorite fruit sorbet just be careful of the small seeds.  You will find you are going to become a smoothie expert very quickly.  Good luck