Gastroenterology Community
Having trouble urinating on Hyoscyamine (levsin)

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

So today I was diagnosed with IBS, and my doctor prescribed me Hyoscyamine to deal with the discomfort I had been feeling.

Well after taking my first dose the discomfort has definitely gotten better. Only problem now is that I find it difficult to urinate. It's not impossible, but its harder to start the stream and i don't feel like it goes until I'm empty.

Some sites online are saying to stop taking it immediately and that this is something to contact your Dr. about, and another said that its a less severe side effect and to continue with the medication and contact your doctor.

What should I do?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The way that hyoscyamine works is that is slows down your GI tract which reduces cramping.  So it makes sense that it could make it difficult to urinate.  I would recommend stopping the medication until you are able to talk with your doctor and try and get in touch with your doctor ASAP.