Gastroenterology Community
Help. Can't poop. What can I eat to help?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Not sure I have constipation as in hard stool but it doesn't want to come out for days. I have tied many many laxatives and no luck. It's like there is no lube in my colon. I eat lots of fiber but that's not working. I need something to add lube when I digest my food. Most of the natural fibers work but result with irritation that makes me have to stop. The worst thing that can happen is I get an upset stomach and I stop eating or taking what you suggest. But I don't know what else to try. Can anybody recommend a food or something to add in to my diet to help me poop? Thank you.
BTY my doctor calls my problem "severe constipation". Meds aren't working so I am looking for a natural alternative. There has to be some food out their that makes a person poop. I can eat greasy fried food and still not go. Even salad won't come out.

Please list all foods that make you poop. This is a serious matter. Thank you very much.
The foods I eat to stay regular are salads, 100 percent whole wheat bread, Cheerios, a couple prunes, and I drink tons of water, plus I have a cup of coffee which stimulates digestion.  But if you are badly constipated, you'll have to find a way to break down what's in there now.  If you'll eat "Activia" yogurt or drink "Acidophilus" or "Nutrish" milk from the grocery store, it will begin to break down the waste from the stomach end.  And if you'll do some water enemas, use a longer type tube, it will break it down from the back end.  Might take a number of enemas to kind of chip away at it.

Another thing you can try to get waste out is "Baby Lax" by Fleet, it's a little box of tubes of ointment.  Squirt two in the end, and it will cause your bowels to push hard, and the ointment will help lubricate the area so it will come out easier.  But I wouldn't use that until you've done a few enemas, you'll want to soften it up as much as you can before the big push that the ointment causes.  Also, you can put ordinary KY Jelly on the area after your baths, and it will keep the area well-lubricated for most of the day, which will make it less painful to pass waste when the urges start coming on.

You can put a plastic glove on your hands, put vaseline on a few of the fingers, and feel where it's trying to come out.  If it's bulging, kind of push it, rub the vaseline on the part that's trying to come out, even dig at it gently, and try to force parts of it out with your fingers.  Keep working at it, and the more you can pull out of there, the easier the rest will come out.

It is going to hurt for that waste to come out no matter what you do.  If you have any pain medication around the house, or even aspirin-like tablets, take those, or even a stiff drink of alcohol will help your comfort levels, before you fool with enemas and "Baby Lax" and the gloved finger deal, so it won't hurt as much.  Take deep breaths and try very hard to relax your body.  Those would be my suggestions.
Thanks. What else can I eat moving forward to produce lube before it gets this bad? I want foods that cause diarrhea or something to make it digest slipperier so it doesn't keep getting stuck. Everyone keeps telling me to eat fatty fried foods like McDonalds. Grease foods do not work. Salads come through me but everything else gets stuck. I feel like my intestine works like a coin vending machine separating things that get stuck from those that will help. Milk of magnesia is the only thing that helps so far. But that doesn't make lube. Sometimes a fatty piece of mean, dripping in fat will clear me out. I hate eating foods like that. Thanks
hello love does you poop feel as though its stuck up there and wont come down  and are you getting lower abdomen collick as if youve eaten somthing that doesnt agree with you? its a bit like abnormal gas and you dont know whats causing it and have you been feeling dizzy or any lower back pain in  bottom of spine region   ive left you some notes i hope they shed some light good luck
Hi Crystal,
Sorry your tummy is not feeling well.  I can relate to your constipation issues.  I have tried many fruits, vegetables, that friends have shared that helped thier constipations, but they never worked for me.  What did work for a little while was yellow Cantelope, ate one each evening and had major bowel movements the next morning, but after a few months it stopped working.  

Two things I have used cleans my bowels out completely.  For instant relief, I drink a bottle of Magnesium citrate with lemon, recommended by a pharmacist, the product works, if you decide to try it, make sure you drink plenty of water.  After using magnesium citrate, I feel 100 lbs lighter, after use.    

Also herbal green tea works, the type that comes in a solid green box, drink one cup each night, till you have a bowel movement, usually takes me 2-3 day's to work, but get ready !  cause it will clean out your digestive system completely.  

Also Epson salt works too, directions are on the bag, epson salt makes me feel badly bloated before relief, it also taste nasty, but it works.    

What else really worked well for me was drinking chocolate or strawberry milk.  The type at the convenient store, in a large plastic clear bottle, single serving, forgot what size sorry.  I would drink the entire bottle at one time.    

But milk always produced major bowel movements an hour afterwards.  But now with the lactose tolerance issue, I can no longer drink milk, till I get lactose under control.

Hope I was of some help, hope you feel better.    
mean spelling error = meat.

I haven't tried the water enemas yet but I think now is the time I should try them. It would be impossible to gain access back there because of an abnormal narrowing my doctor said. I think a water enema might help. I understand that some of them are medicated so I will look for the water ones only.

As of now I am trying bran cerael with every meal as fiber. Everything bran. Since the fiber pills hurt and cause irritation maybe natural bran will help. Dairy can be a problem since I am lactose intolerant but I can take my lactaid pills.

Any suggestions for foods that will act like lube will be appreciated. Not softer stool but more slippery stool. Actually firm and slippery would be better. Just so it can start coming out on a daily basis.
Magnesium citrate, haven't tried that, I have tried milk of magnesia which I think is the same thing. Yes it does work, but I don't think it is healthy to use daily long term. It was about the only thing that worked.
I have even resorted to jumping up and down 200-400 hundred times. I guess it is healthy for my heart but it produces a bowel movement. When you get desperate you will try some crazy things. It sure beats vomitting after the colon is completely clogged. I am going to buy water enemas tonight and I think that will trigger something. My crazy body.
Just bought some enemas. I could not find any plain water enemas so I bought the medicated kind, opened it up and spilt the medicated liquid our and replaced it with spring water. I will probably boil the spring water before I use it just to be safe. Am I doing the right thing? Maybe I should use distilled water. I have never done this before let alone seen one of these things. Looks easy enough. Plug, squirt, use toilet with in a few minutes. Right?
Crystal,
In the old days, people just put ordinary water in a rubber enema bag, which people used to have those in their bathrooms next to where they kept toilet paper and other such things.  So, yes, your method will be fine.  You should put some vaseline on the area, so if the poop comes out, it won't hurt as much, it will make it easier to pass.  If a little bit of stuff comes out, try it again and again.  Then get that "Baby Lax," it will most definitely make your bowels move big-time at the end part, and you can repeat until you get cleared out.  You should keep KY jelly on the area after baths for a week or so, until your digestion settles down, to ease the discomfort of passing waste.

As for your future digestion, I might mention that medications can cause constipation in otherwise healthy people, because they dry out a person, so be sure to stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water.  Also, watch your salt intake, avoid real salty foods like at restaurants and take-out, because it tends to dry up a person.  The "Nu-Trish" milk I told you about is for lactose-intolerant people, and it has the "good bacteria" that is in the other products I mentioned, which breaks down waste.  

The reason the melon worked for one of the above posters is because it has a lot of water in it.  Spagetti also has a lot of water in it, good to keep you regular, because the noodles soak up an entire pot of water when they're cooked.  The reason salad passes well for you is because it also has a high-water content.

You might want to avoid high-fiber by the tons right now, because it will just expand in there and build up as long as you have this current blockage.  Once it clears out, you can introduce higher fiber stuff slowly.  As an everyday thing, the stuff I suggested, 100 percent wheat toast and cheerios, those will keep you regular if you'll eat that every morning for breakfast, followed by a cup of coffee.  

By the way, when people get "empacted," which is what has happened to you, if they're in the hospital for example, nurses will do that gloved hand deal with vaseline or KY Jelly on it, to literally dig out what's stuck down there, so that's why I suggested it to you.  If you can feel that a bunch of stuff is there, and the enema doesn't start to break it down, you might have to resort to that.  Then the "Baby Lax" should do the rest of the job.  
GG  
Problem. The enema doesn't empty out of you that fast does it. A little bit came out but it seems to be working its way up and over to my right side. Been 30 minutes now. Its not supposed to do that is it? A lot of lower-middle cramping too. I guess the cramping it is good right? The cramping is the center belly. Odd isn't it.

Can I add that I seem to get constipated on enemas too? Is that possible?
1 hour no bowl movement no release from the water yet either. I am feeling it finally, it's now moving to the left side. It should do something in the next 30 minutes.
Am I supposed to feel gurgling (like bubbles and water) against my back tail bone? It's gotta come out some time. Nothing yet.
Finally most of the water came out 2 hours later after I used it. It was very difficult to get the water out. No bowl movement just water and a little blood at the end. Zero progress from the use of an enema. But it did add information to share with my doctor tomorrow. Only a poo the size of a peanut came out. My problem is much further inside than I thought. It is clearly visible looking at my belly to confirm what I feel. I thought this for sure would get it out. Jumping up and down a 200 times works much better. That usually does it. This didn't do anything.

Any ideas how far up my problem can be? I know if I jump up and down 200 times and walk around a little bit I can usually get a movement in 1-2 hours. Does that help determine distance in?

Is my constipation problem very unusual?
It has been for years, gets worst every year and now this. I read about chrons but dunno. Don't have the symptoms really I think. I am so lost. For now I am eating bran cereal 3 times daily and no hard foods. Keeping it soft. Also I can binge eat to force a bowl movement sometimes. I just keep eating until I go, but also sets me back where I stared from. Does that mean anything? Everything with me always has to be complicated. :(
Hi there, have you tried castor oil?
Not yet but it's worth a try. What about fish oil? Is that good? I am now eating bran in large amounts 3 times a day with raisins. Helping keep it soft but still not coming out well. Making an app for testing today to see if muscle spasims are holding it in causing this. My doc already identified 1 obstruction caused by a muscle that will not release. I am going to try the caster oil. Thanks
Thats very ok, but please be careful, dont take too much of the castor oil just a little at a time.Hope you get better
Wow. I had food allergy testing. Testing was stopped because I was too allergic to continue so I am going back again soon for more testing. These foods below are some of what I ate regularly. I cut them all out and my constipation went away!!!! My constipation was from food allergy. I have been eating rice and meat and bread with out yeast and oil. I should be pooping concrete but I'm not. I still have intestine pain so lets see what my next set of allergy testing shows. I am off laxatives now too. Oil was part of the constipation problem. Olive and bean oils were causing an allergy and constipating me. I'm switching to sunflower oil. Guess it's going to be trial and error for foods they can't test me for. I also found out that I have a problem with either apple or berries or both. Testing still in progress.

Allergies to:
SOY BEAN
YEAST
ALL SHELLFISH
TUNA FISH
ALL NUTS
MUSHROOM
Veggies and veg oils
GARLIC
MUSTARD
Salads
I wonder if Sunflower seeds are like nuts. Maybe I should wait before trying it. Anyone know if they are in the nut family or seed family?
I know they are called seeds but they taste like nuts, so better safe to ask then get my self back in to the constipation mess again. :)
This may seem far out, but I had symptom similar to yours.  It turned out to be appendicitis.  I'm sure your doctor would be familiar with that.  If you go the colonoscopy route, the stuff they have you drink in preparation cleans you would very well. Then you will see the MD who will sedate you mildly and with laproscopic light and a flow of air to  open your colon so he/she can see the whole thing, he/she will be able to see if there is a polyp or other obstruction that he will remove right then.  When the exam is over, the problem most likely will be  solved.
Hey Crystal,
Wow, that's really amazing, that they found out what the trouble has been with you!  Gosh, I know you are relieved.  I am fascinated by this turn of events.  On the sunflower stuff, I don't know much about biology.  But it sounds to me like oil in general is one of your problems, so I would wait on that sunflower thing, if I were you.  You don't have to have any oil at all to eat.  

Have you got a nutritionist you can sign up with?  They can educate you on what's what with the food and all.

One thing I forgot to mention last month when all this came up for you, was exercise and water.  I hope you are moving around enough during the daytime and I hope you are drinking water a few times a day.  Both those things keep the guts moving around better.

Keep us posted on your testing progress!
GG  
I tried something different by eating at a restaurant. No real control over whether the food on the grill touches soy or veg oil, ect. Constipation 3 days now right after eating at the restaurant. It's not the food it self since I have been doing great at home eating the same things. I don't believe waiters after this because they don't know how the food was prepared before it made it to the grill. They probably used an oil like canola, veggi, soy, olive to grease the grille or mix in to my food. That always does it. No more restaurants for me. :(
, I know what it like, When I was ten, I had that same problem. I couldn't poop, and when I did it Really hurt!!! But I tried a whole buncha gummies and pills, n it neva worked, but now im 21, moved out, and now I can go mostly cause I ate foods that were healthy, so I didn't have any wastes!
The following foods may act as laxatives. They are more effective at preventing constipation than treating it:

Almonds, Aloe Vera, Apples/Apple Juice, Artichokes, Bananas, Basil, Beets, Blueberry, Carob, Chicory, Chios Mastic(gum), Cranberry, Coconut, Coffee, Cornmeal, Dandelion, Dates, Dried apricots, Endive, Fenugreek, Figs, Flaxseed, Grapes, Kale, Liquorice, Mangos, Molasses, Oranges, Papayas, Parsley, Peaches/Apricots, Pears, Persimmons, Pineapple, Plums, Prunes/Prune Juice, Rhubarb, Rutabagas, Soybeans, Strawberry, Tamarind, Tangerine, Tea, Tomato, Tomato Juice, Vanilla, Walnuts, Watercress, Winter Squash, Yams, Olive oil.
wow!!.. For starters i am so sorry your going thru all that. I know how painful it can be. If i may also suggest to you, I use a product by Cellular Research Formulas its a dual pill. one is "colon clear formula" and the other is " Total body purifier" take as directed and usually produces bowel movement within 12-24 hrs and it makes stools soft so it doesnt hurt when you do have a movement.. its not the cheapest product out there but hey.. desperate times, desperate measures huh! I hope you find some relief God bless!
If you're skinny and you get blocked up regularly or severely try adding a couple more tablespoons of healthy oil in each meal, like sunflower oil, or sesame oil. It helps to lubricate the whole digestive system and will not cause things like cellulite and high blood pressure if you use healthy oils.
All the best,

Gabriel
Good luck on a cure. I too have had constipation for alomst 5 years now. Its to the point I cant go at all now and I have a three week wait to see the gastroentologist. I think it may be diverticulitus (a herniated intestine) common as people age.

What I relied on for four years no longer works but may for you. Buy a bag of the coconut sugarfree candy in the store theirs like 6 pieces eat all six and you should be going in no time. You will grow to hate candy lol

Some other things I have had moderate help from are fish oil capsules, liquid antacid, and big bowls of bran cereal. The prunce juice or apple juice did nothing for me. Another helper is the fiber bars, 2-3 and you should go. I bought the ten packs at walmart for 4.00 there is also a tea out there called smooth moves that works ok.

The only thing that work beautifully is a product called colon clenz I buy it at walmart. I take 3 around 6 or 7 pm and will go in the morning. I use it a couple of times a month. Hope this helps
I just wanted to share my story, I just could not go potty, I felt like I needed to go but it just could not come out, like it had a will of it's own. After trying everything I could think of, and much research, I found out I have a pro laps  bowel and bladder, it happens more than you think,my bowel was hanging down in my pelvic floor. This can happen to guys and girls, more common in girls, due to pushing out babies. I could not feel it. I just did not poop, I also had side pain,  I went to see a special Dr, I had phy therapy  it did not hurt, I thought I was all better, because all my symptoms went away.  But about 4 week later it's back, I guess I need surgery. The Dr told me I might.  I just want to get better.  It feels so poopy when you can't poop.
Tvsbbs
Thank you. I'll look for the coconut stuff. With food allergies I'm limited on foods. Bran doesn't work for me. Fruit bars sound great, but with soy, nut, veggi oil allergies couldn't find a brand to buy. Have tried to bake my own fruit bars, while they don't help move food, they somewhat go through me ok and make a great snack. Too much cause digestive issues. I hope your situation is helped after your upcoming dr visit.

Juliegun
Thank you. I had been using Phillips Milk of Magnesia to flush me out. I'll look at colon clenz. I don't think the Phillips is a healthy long term solution.

Kellyconstipated157
I went through the PT too. It didn't help, but pulls things back in while I kept up the PT. It was a treatment but not a solution for me. Didn't do much of anything other than cosmetic for me.

UPDATE
Just had radiology scans taken last week; stomach to pelvic. Maybe it will identify more info on what's going on.

Tilapia Fish
I found that with special cooking I can eat a normal healthy serving of Tilapia fish. Place 1 raw piece of Tilapia at a time in the microwave-oven on a covered paper plate for around 1 minute and it's cooked.... barely cooked but enough not to be chewy. At least the Tilapia DOES NOT CONSTIPATE. Doesn't work with any other fish for me. But if I cook this same fish in the oven or bbq the fish turns in to constipation. If I cook it longer in the microwave it constipates. Maybe there's a lot of fish oil trapped in the fish when under cooked? The fish after 1 minute about is still soft and mushy but heated enough where it's just past the raw chewy stage and just starting to form flakes and fall apart. It's more like thick mash potatoes the way I cook it. Doesn't sound to tasty but it actually tastes ok. Tilapia is about 70% of my diet right now. With the fish I also eat some
Brown Rice - cooked until it looks more like mashed potatoes about 1hr.
Mashed Potatoes - watered down almost drinkable.
Water Mellon - Fruit
Green Zucchini steamed, cooked or boiled.
Peaches
Most fruit that have "berry" in the name.
Popcorn - Hot air cooked or with a bit of olive oil in a pot.

Just in tiny amounts, Dairy because its very constipating in me. Really strange right?

Hard to believe after all these years I still can't figure out whats wrong with my digestion. The new problem is stinging and painful burning at the bottom of my stomach. The burning isn't hot it hurts after I eat mostly anything besides mash potatoes and Tilapia but no issues on the mashed and fish. Other fish yes, but not Tilapia. Very odd. Hoping the radiology scans help identify a solution.

Radiology scans should show if I have intestinal swelling, maybe it's an immune reaction? If anything changes I'll post something new.

I hope you all do well.
I am 58 years old and i have been trying to to do a lemonade cleanse first day was ok but after maybe 3 days i have become very constipated and my back hurts a lot.  I am beginning to worry.  What can i do?
IBS-C is miserable.  One type of fiber supplement that works for some of us in called inulin.  It is made from vegetable fiber.  When looking in the fiber supplement section, read the ingredients labels.  Several forms of Benefiber, for example are wheat fiber.  This means gluten.  Most of us don't tolerate gluten.  It doesn't mean that it is Celiac, but it does mean that the body doesn't like gluten.

A really useful natural laxative I have come across is called TAM and the company that makes it is American Health.  You should be able to find it at a supplement store.

I would also suggest not using the lemonade cleanse any more.  I can't tolerate that one either.  Your body doesn't like one or more of the ingredients.  I suspect the citrus.

If your back doesn't start feeling better, you need to see your primary care provider and/or GI doctor.  Depending on where the pain is in your back, you may need a blood test to check your kidneys as well.  I know this is constipation and colon related, but just check to be sure with back pain.  I've had renal failure before and it's no fun.  I'm not sure why it happened since I drink water all the time, and I don't have a chronic issue.  It was an acute episode.  So, it would not hurt to check before you start feeling worse.  Nausea is the other huge factor with renal failure.
You never really said what was done to relieve your problem when the enema didn't work.  Did the doctor do something?
Have you tried taking psysillium husks on a regular basis? They add bulk and lube.  Are you drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces of pure water?  Try warm water with sea salt in the mornings.  This will act as a saline type laxative drawing water into your intestines and is perfectly healtlhy.  Also the use of flax seeds on a regular basis act as an intestinal lube.  Applesauce is also excellent.  Gluten intolerance could also be clogging you up.  It's quite common.  Laci Le Baue is an herbal laxative tea that works best when used occasionally.  Prunes, prune juice, and dried figs are all excellent food to eat on a regular basis to sweep things through.  Also, they're easier on a sensitive stomach than grain fibers.  Hope this helps!
I have had many similar symptoms to yours over the years and have narrowed my diet to pretty much Green Smoothie for breakfast with Hemp Protein Powder (lots of usable fiber), a Cliff Bar and a salad for lunch, and another salad with lean protein and steamed vegetables for dinner.  If I need more food it's usually a ripe banana (ripeness is very important) before I workout.  If I need desert I eat ginger covered chocolate, or dried figs or prunes.  I would emphasis very LOW grains of all sorts.  Oh.. and no more than one shot of coffee a day as too much caffeine can dehydrate you while a little can usher waste out of the colon!  Yerba Mate drunk in the morning with some honey is a wonderful thing for the bowels as well.  Happy pooping!
Psyllium fiber isn't good for all people, but if it works without irritating GERD, too, it really will help a lot.  Some of us can't use it, because it's so irritating to the GERD.  Otherwise, yes, it's a great idea for those who can use it.  Always drink extra water.  You can get plain psyllium fiber at health food and supplement stores.  Plain is always better for things like this, so you can avoid added sugars, artificial sweeteners, colors and flavorings that come with the name brands, such as Metamucil.  

Be careful with Yerba Mate.  I ended up being allergic to it myself.  And, it can cause even people who don't have an actual allergy to it to vomit if one drinks it in excess.  In healthy moderation, some can do well with it, such as the proportion mentioned above.  And, definitely what was said about coffee is absolutely true.  It is a diuretic, and for everyone with problems with constipation, all diuretics need to be used with moderation and even only light amounts.  The bowels need to be able to absorb water in the case of people who have chronic constipation issues.

For sure gluten intolerance can be an issue.  It's far more common than doctors who rely only on that blood test are willing to accept.  It doesn't have to be full blown Celiac for there to be gluten intolerance.  I have other issues, besides the colon issues that make the gluten intolerance obvious, even if the blood test is always negative.  And, yes, if I cheat, I always get constipated.  It's not worth the misery.  Usually, though not always, dairy intolerances go hand-in-hand with gluten intolerances.
Hi there no sunflower seeds are not a nut. They are not in the nut (legume family).... I hope your problem is fully controlled by now.... I would be interested as I have a daughter with the same prob.  At the moment she is taking Movicol (you buy from chemist) 2 sachets every day and you will be well on your way and it is approved by paediatricians for infants and you can take it for as long as you wish... Good luck...
WATER! drink a liter of water every morning when you get up - before breakfast or anything. on top of that, take a good probiotic (do your research), and try to get your carbs from raw fruit instead of flour products/grains in order to cut down on yeast overgrowth and lessen constipation.
Beets!!! Juice some beets and they have a laxative quality.
sorry your stomach hurts um im very constipatied i tried alot of things but nothing worke until i got this white thick stick its a small stick but it hurts but i tried it anyway. then i said thats enough so i ate papiya dont know how to spell it but anyway its naste here are somthing that dont hurt or dont taste naste drink lotss of WATER, exersise, and pray to god or just get a clothe and put it in your mouth and push very hard and bite on the clothe when it hurts ok i hope ive  helped and  also if anybody sees this tell me if any worked.ok all people who are constipated issuses i hope it doesnt hurt and it comes out like diarria .
Hello I have felt like this for 4 days now thought i ate some bad food. whats goin on with me, what can  i do about it?
If you are still unable to pass any feces, you may have an impaction. With an impaction the feces has hardened and is impassible and requires assistance, medical assistance, to be removed. This procedure is very uncomfortable, but the relief is worth it.  

Stay away from processed foods & take out foods. As you age, your body changes and this is something to be aware of.

Avoiding meat for a while and eat lots of vegetables, whole grain products, greens, beans, etc. Consider Indian food as this may be a good alternative. Tofu is a good alternative source for meat - if it is cooked right. I prefer tofu in Thai dishes and egg salad.

Drinking a glass of Metamucil everyday. Mix a spoon full in a cup of water and drink quickly. Don't allow the mixture to sit or it will be so thick you'll hate it. What Metamucil does is it thickens up in your stomach and pulls feces out of from your colon wall as it passes through your system. Metamucil comes in a variety of flavors. I prefer orange; it reminds me of Tang.

Water...drink lots of water every day. Since I am a work-a-holic, I carry a water container on me all the time to remind me to Drink More Water.

Exercise...exercise every day. You don't have to over exert yourself. If you get 2 fifteen minute breaks a day, spend that time walking.

Drinking water and walking alone will simply get things moving. Don't forget your Metamucil, but remember, you still need to add more fiber in to your diet.

Don't replace advise with medical care if needed.

Hope his helps.

Ok i have always had pooing problems since my gull bladder doesn't work properly anyways. i can seriously go a week without having a bowel movement. Is that normal? I just recently stopped going to the gym regularly and i always would get a bowl movement after my workout, now since i stopped ive stopped having a bowl movement at all and when i do go its rock hard like deer pellets. What should i do?Should i see a Dr?
I have exactly every symptom you just described--can you send me any suggestions or insight on my problem?
Hello- I have that same problem. What do you think I should do?
try oxy-powder, it saved my butt (literally)! i was constipated after being in bed for a week and this softened my stool.
my boyfriend is servely constipated git shot in intestines nd has been trying to go for a couple of days now can some one please suggests. something that wont bloat him cause he still has staples we have tryed colace stool sofetners but they dnt seem to help he is in a lot of pain nd is takeing perks which are known for constipation .... any suggestions are gladly appreciated thnx.
I have been dealing with severe constipation for several years now.... the last time I had a bowel movement was a week ago tomorrow... the only thing I have could that work are enemas.... but the feces are so big they hurt and bleed like hell....but I always wait until I have to use enema because it hurts so bad... I'm only 24 and it is only getting worse
Full glass of Water
an Apple
And a serving of 85% cocoa dark chocolate bar
Olive oil as Olive oil because it works to soften stools and promote healthy and frequent bowel movements.

Try mixing some water salt and lemon juice......lemon juice has to be from and actual lemon
Have you ever heard of slippery elm? you can buy it in most health food stores in capsule form.  When it combines with water in your stomach it forms a smooth gel which lubricates the inside of the intestine.  I've heard it can be very beneficial for similar problems.  Might be worth a shot!

Also, one time while traveling in Guatemala I became severely constipated for 6 days. I told a local doctor and they said to make a papaya smoothie using the seeds as well as the fruit.  Sure enough within 5 hours, I had one of the largest bowel movements of my life.  
Just learned that when I push out my lower belly the muscles in my rectum open up. When I pull my belly in they close. Also when I take a deep breath my lungs push on the bowls to push out poop. When I blow all the air out the poop doesn't move. Also when I squeeze to push out poop if my belly isn't all the way out and lungs filled with air the squeezing actually tightens the rectum muscles so I'm pushing and tightening at the same time. The more I push out poop the more difficult it not impossible it becomes. So now I know not to push because pushing at least that I what I thought was pushing was actually tightening. This changes the game of pooping completely. Rather than pushing against a closed exit I now push my belly out and take a huge deep breath and hold it. expanding your lungs pushes on the bowls and the lungs expanding put enough pressure to push out the poop, no squeezing at all. Go figure.

But this wasn't my source of problem that started it. The reason I ended up pushing was because of the constipation to begin with. My constipation starts at the first inch of my colon, where the small intestine meets the colon. This now learned after many medical tests. That's another issues but I'd like to discuss what I've learned to help others here.

I've also learned hard poop = slow poop. The longer poop stays the colon more likely the poop will get harder as the colon dehydrates the poop in constipated people. But remember slow poop doesn't mean hard poop in everyone, just constipated people. The idea behind this is if the poop is hard, try to move it through faster while it has more moisture left inside. And if I knew the answer to that I'd be cured.

If your problem is at the exit end, try the belly and breathing thing, it's proven to help. There is a medical name for it, bio feedback I think. Just remember to push out the lower belly more then just gently, push and hold it out. You know, not hard or anything but pop your belly to look like your pregnant and take a really deep breath in and hold it until the poop is out. If the poop is coming out try to stay in this position of belly out and holding breath until it's fully out. Also inhale as the poop is coming out don't exhale if possible if you haven't been holding your breath yet. If not coming out try holding your breath with lungs full of air and belly out for 15 seconds. Then breath out. Repeat. It relaxes the muscles in the rectum and maybe the poop will start to make it's way out. The belly and the rectum muscles seem to be working together, strange.

This only works when poop is ready to come out or in the poop shoot. Doesn't seem to have any affect on the colon further up. But at least my poop is not getting stuck anymore at the exit. The exit is opening up more so it's easier to come out. But most of all my pushing/squeezing was really closing which I had no idea all these years. Now I use my lungs to push down.

I've also been taking Benefiber powder. It's not helping things move but it's keeping things softer. 2oz with dinner and 2oz before bed. Total of 4oz a day or half a cup, yea I know that's a lot but it's not stripping my energy like laxatives were and I know some of the laxatives were bad for the kidneys. It's a move in a better direction for now, still trying to seek help for the slow colon.

If you have bad gas that makes you "burp up vomit" and think it more than normal there are some antibiotics that can help if you picked up a bacteria in your stomach or upper small intestine. I used the same antibiotic for "travelers diarrhea" even though I was constipated and since after taking the antibiotic months later that gas never came back after eating. I still have gas but don't have gas making it's way in to my stomach anymore producing gerd. There are many different types of antibiotics many had no affect on the "stomach gas". A week to 10 days on "Xifaxan antibiotic" and the gas that pushed up gerd was gone forever. But it had no affect at all gas that formed in the colon. I had a secondary gas problem high up in the small intestine or stomach not sure where. I'm repating my words because I want to be clear what the antibiotic did and did not do. Of course stomach gas not burped up made it's way in to my colon as well making constipation issues more uncomfortable because the gas had no where to go but up which was the cause of my gerd. I still have gas after but now it stays in the colon. I guess if you have burping after eating foods and you burp up vomit bits this antibiotic might be an option to discuss with your doctor.

I covered a few things here, please comment if any of this helped you. :-)
i have had this, what is it >__< ?
hiya, i have very similar symptoms to yours i bloat really bad to the point where sometimes i cant stand up straight because it hurts too much it causes even my chest to hurt. i get tummy cramps like period ones but everyday they come and go and mostly happen when i wake up. i dont go for up to 2 weeks (the most i havent went) but when i do go the bloating decreases and then after a few days its back iv tried eating better that hasnt worked. its been going on for about a year now though i havent went to doctors yet due to embarresment lol. sometimes i feel the need to go and am relived but when i go its only small amounts and sometimes it hurts... any advice? :(
Hi there, I've just joined this conversation and truly, what you have said has been the most useful to me so far. My constipation just all of a sudden took a turn for the worse. I used to go every day and was not happy with the hardness of the stool or time in transit- those were the good ol days! Now I don't go for over a week until I take a supplement called FibreBlend by AIM and my body gets used to it and then it doesn't work. What I've learned from you is that maybe I am allergic to certain foods so I'm going to get tested. In the meantime I'm cutting out all dairy and gluten. Also interesting is this person Sherry Brescia (google) who recommends food combining and probiotics. I'm trying food combining but haven't got probiotics yet. My real problem is the length of time in the colon. I tested the time in the small intestine by having a beetroot juice and then the next day I had a colonic, sure enough the poop that came out was red, so that tells me food moves along my small intestine OK. It's frightening, but I'm determined to sort this out. Gone are the days though where I can just eat anything I choose....
before go to sleep swallow some dry beans with a milk-banana cocktail(mix one banana with one glass milk).Of course first better doo colonoscopy to make sure thats not cancer problem.This is no instruction post only information u can doo that only for your own risk.  
dry beans(not soaked not boiled).
I think the enema should be saline ( salt water) not spring water
Listen very carefully, this is your solution;

One rounded tablespoon of KONSYL brand (psyllium husk) in 16 ounces of water twice daily. KONSYL is the same as Metamucil, but without the fake sweetners and color. KONSYL is pure, and merely a high water binding non-digestible carbohydrate. That's the very definition of 'fiber'.

The fact that it binds with so much water acts like a 'slip 'n slide' in your inteston, producing bulky stools and effortless bowell movements.

Drink extra water throughout the day. Optimal results reached within 3 to 4 days if not sooner. If you have a medical condition, check first with your doctor.

The preceeding is not intended to diagnos, treat or substitute for the reccommendation or advise of your physician.
.... one other thing. You've received allot of suggestions, some good, some questionable.

Consider a colonoscopy to rule out bowel disease or obstruction. This is  potentially a very serious matter. Act accordingly/
small spoon or two dry peas with green(and no sugar) Tea works similar and better with milk alergy (allergy) problem.But dont eat too much dry peas at once cose they tend to stick to each other.can try some dry white beans + dry peas(less).dry seeds do not digested in stomach, are growing some and make more soft in bowel and bowel try push them out like every fiber but harder.First of course colonoscopy and its not instruction only information post.
Buy a prune and boil it and when it's soft inside eat it or drink the juices from it. Also can drink prune juice if you can tolerate the taste. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and straining to go has lead me to have fistulas. So try not to strain. The doctors have me on Colace to keep things loose. Also recommended Metamucil. Fried foods do loosen things up, but if you have a gallbladder can create gallstones. Yogurt (with active enzymes) helps if you have bad bacteria in your stomach. I have found that I am wheat intolerant and can't eat wheat products, and that several other people are the same way. I have been told to drink lots of water by my holistic chiropractor, because without water there is no juices to break food down.
Some other suggestions are Aloe gel capsules, A daily probiotic, papaya enzymes. Also there is a tea out there called Lacy Labose tea. You can get it in a health food store. That stuff cleaned me out for days.I seeped the tea for a little longer than usual to make it more concentrated.
Why not take time for a colon cleanse?  Until 3:00 drink either juices, broth, consomme`, cold drinks - any drink except dairy or soup w/floaters, i.e.noodles, etc. - at 3:00 take 4 Ducolax tablets with a small glass of gatorade.  Then at 5:00 mix 238 gm bottle of Miralax with remaining gatorade (64 oz gatorade and shake until powder is dissolved.  Drink 8oz glass every 10 to 15 minutes until mixture is gone.  STAY CLOSE TO THE BATHROOM Crystalfresh.  Afterward you will certainly live up to your name. p.s. all ingredients can be bought over the counter any where there is a pharmacy.
Ive been feeling the same and my stomach seems to be making a lot of grumbling noises and sometimes my kidney hurts and i hate going to the doctors!! Plse help this is getting really scary!!!
U HAVE EXACT ISSUE I DO WHEN DOING ENEMA SOMETIMES UR COLON NEEDS THE WATER TO BE HYDRATED AND IT HOLDS THIS WATER IM JUICING BEETS ND CARROTS IT DOES A WONDER AN JUICING TO GIVE MY SYSTEM A REST WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT ....SO I HAVE THE GREAT OLD SCHOOL ENEMA BAG AN I BOIL WATER AN LET COOL A LITTLE THEN SOMETIOMES BUY A SPECIAL COFFEE AN THST WORKS AN U NEED TO DO DIFFF POSITIONS LIFT BODY UP BEND OVER U KNOW LOOK UP THIS STUFF ... MASSAGE LEFT AN THERES A PRESSURE POINT U HIT IT IT HELPS AN RUB TUMMY FIRM .... I NOW DID A ENEMA WITH THE ONE U HAVE AN DID BLENDED GARLIC AN HOT WATER AN MAAAAAAAAAAAANNN THAT IS INSTANT GIRGGLING ALL THAT BUT GIRL U WILL GO .....
I was reading your paragraph here and they do have lactose free milk and also chocolate.
I have the same thing !! I feel nauseous or have a sore stomach at least 4 days out of the week ( not for a full straight day but off and on ). I am almost always bloated after eating and probably poop only 3-4 times a week sometimes not even. I do admit I could probably eat better foods but I don't know what to buy that will help and that I will still somewhat enjoy eating..
I totally know what you mean. I honestly wish it didn't matter what I ate ! People think I am being picky or over reacting, but they don't know how I feel :S
You could try eating raisins. Or what I usually do if I go a few days without being able to poop is buy a jug of apple juice, real apple juice not from concentrate, I like the simply apple brand. And I wait until I know I'm going to be home for a while then what i do is drink the whole jug or as much of it as I can, usually about a half gallon to a gallon. Then I wait.. At this point I drank so much I look pregnant and can't really bend over lol then about 15-20 minutes later my stomach starts to empty out. This is a drastic measure!! Because for about the next two hours or more I'm running back and fourth from the bathroom trying to hold in my poop by the time I'm done the juice flushed so much out of me that the liquid is almost clear.. this will give you liquid poop witch thank god usually doesn't burn. It just kinda pours out so make sure if you do this your home for the night... Good luck pooping :)
Im 16 and i can barely poop. I wont be able to for 2-3 days then i will get really bad craps and when it gets really.bad i will feel nauses and throw up. Why is this and what can i do to fix it FAST please!
The best thing to do to solve your constipation is to start introducing more fiber into your diet from raw, and natural sources such as leafy greens,fruits,avocado.  Having been an avid junk food and coffee drinker during my younger years, I have also had my fair share of horrific episodes with constipation.  My unhealthy eating habits started to get to me and I became violently ill to the point that I could not eat any processed or cooked foods.  I have been on a 100% raw food diet since then and my bowel movements have returned full force.  I have noticed that "green smoothies" in particular jumpstart bowel movements literally after you drink it.  I fill a blender with a little bit if sunflower seeds, then 1 1/2 avocados, and then fill the whole blender up with kale and that has got to be the most powerful laxative cocktail on planet earth.  Also make sure to drink plenty of lemon water.  What many people don't realize is that lemon is in a class if its own due to its antiseptic propererties.  It purified the blood which then also is a potent fighter against constipation.
hey! i just read your comment and that's exactly how i feel! what can you recommend? I'd love it if you could send me some notes, too.
thanks so much, please reply asap!
yo, I had to jump in on the conversation. I think i have found a solution with the all organic-non-gmo method of eating. only eat that.

I have been constipated for over a week. I swear i think either my old roommate poisoned my ice cream or I ate bad snicker ice cream. Then after I moved out I ate some bagels in my new town. Big mistake.

I was seriously constipated, the only thing that would come out was a thin rinky dink thing.

Finally the way I got rid of it is as follows. Drink lots of water, eat only organic fruits and vegatables, drink one shot of espresso per day, drink more water, eat lots of organic figs, drink prune juice, drink more water, drink organic unfiltered apple juice (buy the gallon) and man finally it passed. It was like a stick sludge, good thing the figs softened it up. It took 9 days, finally i called in sick an drank the apple juice whew.
It drastically helps my condition, any ideas? Neurological side effect on the digestive system? Food allergy?
Benadryl drastically helps to regulate my digestive system while on it. Any ideas?
Is hard to poop but you can  can eat something that can make you poop. IF YOU CAN NOT POOP FOR 2 WEEK YOU GO TO BE SINK.
im Sooo scared, Im really young and its my 4th day, last time I pooped I cant believe how much it was! i hope my colon did not expand! I will not go to a docter. Im so scared!! i cant swallow pills. i only ate 2 little pieces of Ex-lax last time but i went on 5th day!! I cant handle enemas, i used it wen i was a little younger. i dont think any food is gonna work. Im so scared cuz wen i eat sometime only sometimes i can feel it drop to my stomach. :( im sooooooo scared!!! and its 2 days before christmas!!
I think you may have the same thing as I had.
For around 4 years I have been unable to go. I went through the exact same process as you, trying to deal with it, natural remedies, jumping, apparent allergies, frequent hospitalisation, gastro tubes after four years my very persistent gp found out what was wrong. My pelvic floor had collapsed against my colon
Becuase of this there was two surgerys I could have one to have a synthetic colon or have a mace, a direct way to flush you out through you appendix :) hope this might be helpful to you. Don't want some else to go through what I did
It's been a few days since you posted your comment, hopefully the issue has been resolved all on it's own. But going forward if it happens often you should ask your doctor if you can take products such as the ones below.

These most likely won't help your issue now but if taken can prevent it from being a problem in the future.

IF YOU STILL HAVE A PROBLEM there are liquid laxatives that can flush out what's held up if no other serious issues are present. I can't suggest which one or if you need one, that's only something your doctor can suggest. Almost always when you FIRST see your doctor they recommend a liquid or powder drink which is easiest on people. You have other options that don't involve pills, ect. Products that don't even have medicine in them, for example a poly formula or undigestible fiber that only is made to hold water. Please talk to your doctor, just talk, it's your choice what you allow or choose to do. It's always best to ask for help if you think you need it. It's just talking. Hope these suggestions help start a discussion with your general practice doctor.

Ask if each one is ok, how much you can take total over 24 hours and if you can divide up the total allowed amount between all meals. And if you're allowed to mix the 2 products together should neither of them give you results. ALTHOUGH I DON'T recommend mixing them, unless you've tried both individually for a few days each, and discussed the results with your doctor. Malnutrition is a concern if too much is used as foods may not get a chance to digest, and at a young age you can't afford that.

BE SURE TO DISCUSS ANY OF THESE SUGGESTIONS WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS.

I can't even recommend how much to take of them, just know that if you take the right amount, not too much and not too little each one should help. But this is a question for your doctor who knows you personally. All I can do is recommend these products to discuss with your doctor and suggest questions to ask such as how much you can take over 24 hours and if you can divide up that amount between each meals of the day. There are different ways of taking it, I found mixing with meals helped me the most to prevent the problem from ever starting.

There are 2 products I'd recommend that may be taken daily to "prevent" getting backed up. You would need to ask your doctor if these products would be acceptable for you, and how much you can have with each dose. Because of your age I'm not sure how to suggest dosing or if any at all is safe for you. You should explain to your doctor what problems you're having and ask if you can take either of these products and the "MAXIMUM" amount per day that is acceptable for you. These products have worked best in me when I divided up my daily dose amount with each meal, every time I eat. All it does mostly is hold water so food in your digestive track can't harden up to pass though easier and quicker. Too much and you can't get enough nutrition which is why it's best to ask your doctor before taking it. It's taken every day with each meal. This way constipation doesn't have a chance if dried out poo is causing your issue.

Both of these can be found at your local food store or drug store over the counter. They are not medications. They are Fiber or Laxative designed to hold water. If you take them every day with each meal you may see that you will need less of the stuff.

First one I like is Metamucil Powder. Just mix with water and take with your meal. You could even mix it in to your food, but still have the proper amount of water recommended to mix with the power during your meal since the powder needs water. Metamucil Powder is made from Cilium (psyllium) FIBER. SIDE EFFECTS... GAS. If you start to get gas which many people do than you probably wouldn't want to continue taking it.

Another option if Metamucil doesn't work for you is a product called MiraLax. This is a different type of laxative. It a poly that holds water. Again a small amount is taken with every meal. MiraLax it more likely I think in my opinion to flush out good nutrition if too much is take so in my opinion Metamucil is my first choice.

A small amount with each meal as "directed by your doctor". Both are powders that get mixed with water or mixed with your foods as long as you have enough water with them.

I don't think you have much to worry about talking to your doctor as it's a common problem if there's no underlying issues not told on here. Just talking to your doctor usually ends up with recommending a powder drink such as these above. The doctor may talk to you over the phone and not require an appointment even. The issues start when you start taking products like these and NO PROGRESS after taking these products is seen. There are so many products to prevent constipation, I like to recommend these first because they work well so you hopefully don't end up backed up again.

Omg I thought I was the only 1 going through this. Is going to be some sort of diet and we can all get on to regulate bowel movement. I'm suffering from constipation since she was a child. and now has a stoma from diverticulitous. Not a joke. If I find something that works ill keep all of u posted
Thanks, I'm going through this, too.  Posted comments have been helpful mainly in letting me know that I'm not alone and don't necessarily have something like colon or bowel cancer.  Unfortunately, I don't even have insurance right now where I can to go dr. to find out.  I will try use some of the suggestions here and not panic.
hi, you mentioned in a note to "crystalfresh" 2 products she might try so she can have soft stool,,,and maybe a bowel movement,,,where would I buy either or both of these products? "Colon Clear Formula" and "Total Body Purifier".

Linda
Mirilax, tastes like nothing, mix it in everything, and you'll be pooping with in a day or 2 depending:)
Hi, I just joined the conversation and I must say all of this has been helpful. I have Crohn's and the only thing that helps me go reg. is Strawberry Mini Wheats (cereal). I notice that McDonalds will do it sometimes but the cereal is the best bet. So many try that once a day. Everything that you guys have said has been very helpful because I'm looking for fruits that would help too. Maybe try to mini wheats brand, seems to work for me.
HI GUYS!! PAPAYA EVRY MORNING WORKS,AND LINAZA! GO TO A MEXICAN STORE ASK FOR A BAG OF LINAZA MIX WITH A CUP OF WATER AND PICES OF PAPAYA EVRY MORNING AND BEFORE BED,BELIVE ME IT WORKS TO LUBRICATE THE COLON!AT HENRYS THEY SALE DRY PAPAYA TO SNACK AROUND.I USE THE FLEET PRODUCTS TOO ONCE IN A WHILE.HOPE I WAS OF HELP!!
Take 1 spoonful of castor oil and dink lots of water. this will make you go, it gave me stomach cramps the very first time I tried it so be careful. But it never did again!

and 4 spoonfuls of pure coconut oil per day. it doesn't taste good, yuck! But it hydrates and gives you lube. I promise it hellps! (and it makes cured my dry skin)

I have the same problem and suffer severe constipation.
Eat beans. Tons of things with beans. It will build up and make you really have to go. Don't want this to last at all because you can get diverticulosis like me. It is what happened to me. I was suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks when my daughter was born. I ended up getting completely backed up and now I have that disease diverticulosis. You don't want it. Never be able to eat popcorn or any thing with seeds on it ever again for life. Can't even eat burgers anymore due to the seeds all over the bun.
I'm 18 and have struggled with constipation all my life, I'm constipated now again and haven't been for a week at the moment. It's really hard, and feels very big and I can't seem to get it out without it feeling like its tearing my skin and bleeding! I'm not sure what to do, I've tried all the food I can this week and laxatives but nothings worked.. I need to get it out because I have stomach problems at the moment from a car accident I was in recently. anyone know what I can do to get it out? It's just the first bit, it's solid! But when I try little buys come out but not the whole thing! Help! I know it was caused from medication I was on, but I wasn't warned before hand and now I'm left stuck..
Daughter (15) and I (45) both have issues. It was suggested to us to use Mineral Oil. Kind of a goofy texture, but probably similar to castor oil. Mineral oil does not really have a taste if mixed in well to a drink.

Really appreciate all the info and comments. Very helpful. Thanks.
Kind of funny, but not. If it works, it works.  ;) http://www.toiletyogamovement.com/
...and there's always Taco Bell. (rectal rocket) ;)
YES!  I pooped on day 4!  I tried Miralax + 10 enemas but didn't work.  I did tried the nurse finger butt thing but that's impossible.  Tried getting drunk to loosen up but I just had a hangover the next morning.

I drank 10 FL OZ of Magnesium Citrate and 10 FL OZ of prune juice.  Pretty much one shotted both.  An hour later and I clogged by toilet.  Lost 2 pounds.

I'm 33 and in good health.  F U to the commentor who said it might be appendicitis.  Scared the crap out of me.  It was just a super sized dump.  Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
Ok this is what I did and it worked.

1) read all these comments and other comments in forums - it'll make you feel you're not alone, and will calm your nerves. that'll help you relax your anal muscles/nerves, which in turn will help the stool to come out.

2) drink 4 tall glasses of water.

3) get hold of some KY and lubricate the outter area of the anus, as well as a little bit inside until you feel the stool (it'll feel hard, or pointy, or a variation of these, and thats ok)

4) dont sit on the toilet for too long. if you feel its not coming out, then stand up - that'll generate bowel movement and will get you going again.

Remember - you'll have to push it out at some point, and it'll hurt a little. BUT THE RELIEF IS AMAZING.

If you have a history of hemorrhoids though, try not to push too hard. or if you do, and the poop comes out, apply an ice pack on the anus so that the veins don't swell any further.

good luck!

*please note that I am not a medical professional. Please consult a medical professional for advice. My comments here are autobiographical only.
im 22 years old and constipation has been an issue for as long as I can remember......I have been to the doctor but they only tell you to eat more veggies and drink water but that doesn't work.....here is what ALWAYS work for me after I have not gone to the bathroom....at bedtime I drink a tea called Traditional Medicinals organic Smooth Move ( it has a purple band going around and you can find it at wall mart or cvs pharmacies.....when im really constipated and haven't pooped for a while ill place two bags of tea in there...its less than $10) annddd when im simply not in the mood for tea ill drink Senna Laxative pills (I buy these at CVS pharmacies and simple buy the CVS brand which works as well as other brands)
Try miralax i had the same problem and my doctor reccomended to me. You can get it in any drug store or pharmacy
Right, Please follow this as its explained: This is a miracle, forget everything else, this is going to change your life: A cup of Prune Juice 2 hours prior to your out of bed time; for example; if you get out of bed at 7am, take the prune juice at 5am, go back to sleep, no activity whatsoever. When its time to get out of bed, do your usual thing, shower etc... then have a cup of HOT tea, after like 15 - 20 mins (can take longer depending on each individual and how your system reacts to it) you will go to the bathroom, you will keep going until all emptied out, lol, i've suffered from  constipation for decades, and discovered this myself.  I make sure I have plenty of stock (prune Juice) in my pantry.  Oh Yeah, forgot to mention this, when u go upstairs to your bedroom at night, take the juice with you and keep it next to you on the bedside or wherever is easier for you, it has to be room temperature.  TRUST ME THIS WILL HELP ANYBODY IN THE WORLD.  there are ways to take prune juice for constipation, my way is the best way. whoever tries this, please post here how it went.  GOOD LUCK! :)  If it doesn't work the 1st day, don't give up. And now i take this every single morning at 6am, i feel light as a cloud LOL x
Hi. I have been reading all these comments. I have tried a lot of these and they did not work. A little over two years ago, I went to the hospital’s ER for rectal bleeding and lots of blood in my stool. I was 28 at the time and very scared. They keep me in for three days. In those three days I had, a couple procures done. When they did the colonoscopy, they noticed I had intern hemroids. Even after that, I was going regular. Well a few months later, I had to have a complete hysterectomy and ever since then I have not been able to go like normal. I will go up to three weeks every time without going. I have continued you to bleed big clots. I have gone to a GI and he could not help. I even returned to the hospital a few more times since. Now I am always bloated and there is always bad lower back pain by my spine and tailbone. Sometime I find a little relief when I bend over and hear a click. I have look and tried to figure out why this is happening. I am tired of all of this and I do not know what to do anymore.
I'm in Thailand. My English is not good. But I 'll try. In Thailand if any one has problem with constipation and can't solve with laxatives. We will eat sour tamarind. It is one of natural herbs. Tamarind is rich of fibers and essential herb that can stimulate the movement of intestine. This can make the stool softer and easy for pooping. Try this if was available. Have luck.
I am a colon hydrotherapist, who also happens to have suffered from constipation my whole life.   I would recommend trying a series of professional colon hydrotherapy sessions (colonics), like 3 within a week, to cleanse and tone your colon.  The water also helps to restore proper shape and sensitivity to the colon, and for some people this can restore more normal function
have you tried prune or plum juice 1 cup can soften up 2 or more cups can cause diarrhea and that is a 6-8oz cup size
Take magnesium every day. Cheap stuff from walmart is great. 250 to 750mg a day. Don't exceed that amount though. No cramps...no straining. Just regularity. 90% of Americans have magnesium deficiency. Before anyone freaks out going on day 4 without going, take magnesium and go to bed. You will visit the toilet first thinkin the morning. Also helps with sleep, dementia ,  heart rhythm,  blood sugar imbalances, leg cramps, digestion, protects nerves, helps with anxiety and irritability.
I'm only 13 (in 8th grade). Lots of asians eat this kind of rice. It helps like a lot and i mea it. Eat something called brown rice. I don't know where to exactly get it but it helps ( I'm not joking. This is no joke at all!!!). Brown rice lets you poop easily and helps your stomach get smaller. If your stomach is already small then u could still eat it. Brown rice helps you poop easily. Search u on where to buy brown rice. and make sure its only bown rice. No flavor at all. and when u eat it keep chewing for like a minute or 30 seconds each spoon you eat.
Hi All,

I'm joining this conversation to quickly tell my story.
All my life, even as a baby, I could not go regularly.
Nothing ever works; no pills, no powder, no foods.
The only things that have somewhat helped are enemas, suppositories, and LOTS OF WATER.
Poop ***** :(
im a little confused about the "digging it out" process, could you go into greater detail? perhaps you could provide a link to a diagram or video?  would you recommend i have a friend do the digging for me because there's a lot of stuff stuck up there right now.  I'm literally packed to the brim. thanks
Take Phospho Soda  {Fleet} But check with Dr for OK
I strained and ended up with diverticulitis - - I had a diverticuli bleed and Doctor in hospital put me on Miralax when needed - a stool softener - - I take if I have not gone for three days - - the other is a elderly wise Doctor from Europe told me that he has always advised his patients to take a small  cup of warm prune juice - and that really worked for me - - ANY BOWEL irregularity do get it checked it out - colonoscopies are not as bad as some say - my daughter had UC - and now has colon cancer - so DO NOT WAIT
..get it checked out..I concur with dottie500.....if packed bad see your doctor...as they can help..root rooter..(gently) if a large hard bolus is there ...you do NOT want to dig and dig and end up with inner hemorrhoids or fissures....don't continue to strain...some people make hard hard stools that block the above stool and these are dangerous...so (keep a diary and you can relate YOUR habits to your doctor better...and you can state what you have tried) ..I will add this to the above suggestions...I take oral docusate sodium 100mg.....regularly..they recommend 1-3 caps daily to begin then take less as stool softens..as it will make new stool softer...nerves innervate the entire intestine and you may feel bloated or full yet you are ? ..Extra liquids with gas-x..for a day or so after a difficult BM helps me as does preparation H ointment..just massaging your abdomen a few minutes a day helps..websites referring to bowel habits help..blessings