Gastroenterology Community
Help Swollen and painful abdomen look 8 months Pregnant

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

4347234?1239599619
For The last week and a half I have had such horrible stomach swelling and Severe pain.  I don't believe it's gas or constipation because even when I have taken Gas X or Passed gas there is no general relief.  I usually am consitpated however I have been very regular nothing abnormal or that would raise my attention The pain is also in my lower back and is tender near the kidney areas,  I did have a C section 3 years ago I also had Laproscopic Gastric bypass 7 years ago neither have given me any problems at all.  My stomach is so swollen I went to the store and 5 people asked when I was due because I looked like I was getting close.  To make matters worse at our family Easter BBQ 7 close friends and family members (including my dad) asked if I was pregnant.  We tried 8.5 years to have my daughter that included 3 IUIs 4 Miscarriages and my beautiful Miracle daughter Sierra,  I feel like I did at the end of my pregnancy with her, I am winded can barely tie my shoes can't see my toes and Can't sleep.  I also have been throwing up not in a normal since I get nausea then it's like I spit up liquids.  I don't know what is going on if anyone has suggestions I would be grateful I am now on disability  but right now the health coverage only covers hospital stays.  I know for sure I am not pregnant But I can barely walk 20 feet with out having to stop and rest to catch my breath and deal with the pain.  I think I will call my disability case worker and try to get more health coverage since my husband was laid off and we lost our insurance,  I do have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome.  I don't know what to do I am getting scared.  Any Suggestions?  I put in a picture I am not a small girl my weight hasn't changed but usually in my close I have a flat stomach under my clothes well we call it a marshmallow belly from being pregnant,
You really need to be looked at.  Bloating like that can be from something gastrointestinal, ovarian cysts, or a complication in your organs from Lupus.  Why not try going to emergency and at least have them check out your heart and kidney functions.
Please check the side effects of any medications you're on right now.  If any of them say you can have gastro issues or tummy upset, talk with the prescribing doc about changing to a different kind of medicine in the same category.  I took Ativan one time, had the exact same problem, I was huge.  I also was on Lexapro at the same time, so I'll never really know which medicine did it.  So, with the help of my doc, I went off both medicines, substituted another kind for each, and I lost 30 pounds within a couple months and my tummy got flat again.

If it's not medicines, you may actually be severely constipated without really realizing it, the spitting up confirms this theory, so you may wish to try enemas with a long tube, it takes many days to get something like that straight.  Also, if some waste is right there and won't come out, get some Baby Lax at the drugstore, it's a little box with tubes of ointment, squirt two in the rear, and the stuff will come out in minutes, repeat as needed.

If none of that helps, I agree with the above poster Trudie.  Since you have Lupus, you MUST visit the doc who treats you for that, with an emergency appointment if you can get one, or the ER, or since you're short on funds you can go to the county health department for free and be seen by a physician the same day.  You do not want your internal organs to be all infected up or wind up having a heart attack.
Make sure the ER does a liver panel, too. Are there any risk factors for liver disease? Alcohol? Hep C? Obesity? I only say that because I got the pregnant comment all the time and mine turned out to be ascites due to cirrhosis. I don't know if your other dx would play a roll or not. Good luck and go find out!!
I went to the ER last night I was there 7 hours and they found my uterus was full of fluid and I have a cyst on my left ovary since I also have Poly cysitic ovarian syndrome he felt I had a large Cyst rupture and he said the smaller one probably will too.  I also had a large amount of bacteria in my urine test which he feels is a kidney infection.  The infection explains why I have been so tired lately with my Lupus my immune system is so compromised I get fatigued anytime I have to fight something off!  With my having Lupus and the possibility of it attacking my organs at anytime they had to test me for everything I was there in the hallway forever but now I know I will follow up with my GP in a few days I have my antibiotics and I am good to go!

Thanks for all your support
I suggest you get medical help. My husband had swelling on his abdomen, ascites.  This can be caused by a number of problems. His is stomach cancer. Whatever your problem is get it attended to.
I'm so glad you went and they seemed to figure things out!  I hope you get this all resolved though! Are they removing fluid or the cyst or anything?

Nicole
I am finally back to my self I gained 15lbs with the swelling and have lost 9 of those.  The Cyst they say Burst Sat afternoon I could barely walk.  I threw a baby teacher Saturday and I was so embarrased that I was as big as the guest of honor, so everyone agreed to wear a tummy so everyone at the shower looked pregnant the guest of honor felt so good that she didn't feel like the biggest person there.

When the cyst burst I could barely move, but I feel so much better I am glad the CT scan and Blood tests only saw the fluid and Cyst lord knows I have enough to worry about i have 4 lbs Of water weight to go.  I have edema so they said that could also have factored in.  Thanks for the Support
I just wanted everyone to know that two weeks later I went to the ER with horrible stomach pains and throwing up. They still saw the fluid and cyst but they also noticed  I had a twisted and knotted upper intestine and had to have emergency surgery,  the surgeon said another 6 hrs and I would not be here today.  I have a large 7 inch incision and spent a week in the hospital and another 6 weeks healing but I am finally back to normal and feeling good.  It has been hard to jump back into life after being down for so many weeks.  Having Lupus really makes you weak when you have surgery or are healing so it's kind of a pain in the well in this case the stomach.  I am just glad to be alive and home with my amazing daughter