Gastroenterology Community
Hemorrhoid cream homemade!! Better than PrepH

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I wanted to start this thread to tell others about the success I have had with my own homemade hemorrhoid cream that relieves pain and itching much better than hydrocortisone and preparation H creams in my opinion.  I tried using those like many people, but with very little relief.  My hemorrhoids are not very large, and I may have an anal fissure as well, but before I started using this cream and practicing good hygiene after every bowel movement, my anus was painful and was very itchy at times.  I still have some pain and there is some blood sometimes during a bowel movement, but otherwise I have no pain and ZERO itching!!  (ahhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Here's my recipe.  I found some of these products at Walgreens (pharmacy chain), and some at a "natural" grocery store with a health products section.  I bought a small jar of baby food and cleaned it out to put this cream into.

Two parts Shea Butter:
Make sure you get a jar of 100% shea butter, not a tube.  The jar of it will be of the consistency of semi-soft wax.  You can probably also use Cocoa butter, but again find 100%, and firm.  This will serve as a skin coating, protector, and help keep the cream waxy/creamy instead of slimy.

One part Desitin:
This is the #1 used diaper rash cream for babies for a reason.  The main ingredient is Zinc Oxide, at 40%, which is a skin protectant, and also works for deodorizing and even is antibacterial.  If you want to avoid the fragrance that Desitin has, you may be able to just buy zinc oxide powder online (used by people that make their own lotions and sunscreens), but I have not tried this.  Desitin is very creamy, however, and helps add creaminess to this recipe, so if you use just the zinc powder, maybe use a bit more of the other ingredients.

One part Aquaphor:
I read several places that the main ingredient in this product (Petrolatum 41%) is great as a skin protectant that also promotes healing.  If you are unable to find this product, you can maybe use vaseline, although I haven't tried it.

One part Aloe Vera:
Do NOT get the aloe vera gel next to the sunscreens at the drug store.  This will have alcohols and dyes and fragrances.  Try and find the closest thing you can to 100% aloe vera, with the fewest ingredients possible.  The one I found has just a couple of ingredients for preservation, as well as vegetable oils, and menthol (good for a cooling effect!).  You can use less than one part if your cream turns out too runny.

One part Preparation H COOLING GEL:
(I found the pharmacy brand equivalent to be half the price and have the exact same ingredients.)  The two important ingredients here include Witch Hazel 50%, which is an astringent.  An astringent works by shrinking or constricting body tissues.  The second ingredient is Phenylephrine HCL 0.25%, a vasoconstrictor, which works similarly to an astringent but more specifically tightens the walls of blood vessels, also reducing swelling and inflammation, both reducing pain and itching!

One part Corn Starch:
Yes just the corn starch found in the baking aisle at the grocery store.  I've read that corn starch is supposed to be good for rashes if you sprinkle it on dry, but since that didn't work for me, I'm using it here for it's other useful purpose of thickening the cream.  I'm not sure if it has any other benefit once mixed in the cream, so you may skip this step if you don't want to buy any, or if you think the cream thickness is fine.  I have read a lot of homemade lotions, soaps, and deoderant recipes using corn starch, so there may be something to it.

I put vaseline on and into my anus immediately before every bowel movement.  I also shower after every bowel movement, use hypoallergenic soap around the effected area, and use hypoallergenic baby wipes (no fragrances, bleaching agents, alcohols).  I massage a fingertip of the cream mixture above after I shower, and after a bowel movement if I don't immediately shower, and sometimes at other times during the day, but I have had to use it less and less.  I have had complete itch relief, and it is wonderful!

Leave a message here if you try this as well, or if you have other suggestions of your own.  
I have been using straight zinc oxide for years since I found about it in a "keep yourself healthy" book.  It has worked very well for me.  Too bad that Walmart, Walgreens, and grocery stores in Texas no longer carry it!!
You're right, I have never seen straight zinc oxide in stores in TX either.  Do you mean you just use the powder?  I have seen that online, like Amazon, for cheap.

Desitin is the closest thing probably as a mostly zinc cream.