Gastroenterology Community
Herbal equivs for Flagyl/Cipro ?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Herbal equivs for Flagyl/Cipro ?

I had a lower GI test done in '04 and was told that my pain was divertuculitis. In early '05 I had a flex-sigmoidoscopy and later a colonoscopy. I was given Flagyl and Cipro and it took away the pain. I also changed my diet (eliminating seeds, high fats, etc) and increasing fiber along with Metamucil. It was explained to me that the diverticulitis was widely spread, but could be controlled through diet and awareness. My doctor retired and I changed to a new primary care provider in '05.
   After nearly 3.5 years of no problems, I think that I'm having a minor flareup and I was wondering if there was an equivalent herbal remedy to the antibiotics (flagyl and cipro) without having to go through the tests again. My medical records were "lost in transit." I'm retired and can't afford to start going to specialists for another round of tests. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
-5 Comments Post a Comment
Anybody ?
I suffer from uc and divertuculitis the only thing that helps when i suffer a flare up is medication. the med of choice for me is librax only when needed.  I wish I could find herbal remedy also. But the lilbrax does help it calms my digestive track.  Good luck I hope you can find a remedy to help.
I found that cipro is available online without a prescription. Years ago I discovered that some antibiotics made me feel better as pertains to a pain in my right leg and hip. The pain is worse just before a bowel movement, but bothers me when walking sometimes, too. As I am overweight, I know I need to see a doc about it. But anyway, in your situation, if you know what the doc will prescribe and have been down that road before, you may be able to find your meds online. Just use a few key search words and look around. Your old prescription may satisfy a company in India or Thailand, and they have modern facilities to make meds. Or, since cipro is widely fed to cattle, you may actually find that fast food burgers lessen the problem a little. What a twist! We can't get antibiotics but the cows get them!
When it comes to antibiotic resistant bacteria and deadly viruses, so-called “alternative medicine”, including herbs and a variety of other treatments, could be your most effective form of treatment and prevention.  A few years ago, my wife suffered from an antibiotic resistant urinary infection that was probably caused by the same strain of antibiotic resistant E. coli that reportedly plagued women across the country (San Francisco Chronicle 10/14/2001). We spent several hundred dollars on multiple courses of three different antibiotics, which escalated all the way to the infamous Cipro, a powerful “last resort” antibiotic. Cipro held her infection at bay, but failed to eliminate it. The infection would return within three days after finishing a course of Cipro. After months of unsuccessful medical treatment with pharmaceutical antibiotics, she was finally able to kick the infection in less than ten days through the use of a combination of grapefruit seed extract (from the health food store) and large quantities of homemade antibiotic colloidal silver solution. The following is a list of items you may wish to keep on hand: