Hernia scar tissue
Over the last 6 years I have had two hernias repaired, both located between the breast bone and the belly button. Lately I have been having severe stomach pain that was diagnosed as slow digesting stomach, also diagnosed with colonic inertia. When I rub the hernia scar (they went through the scam scar the second time) it is so hard.  Just wondering if scar tissue could be causing some pushing into the stomach or could it be another hernia?  My doctor has dismissed the chance of scar tissue but did not do any testing to detect scar tissue.  Is there a way to detect tissue or do you have to "go in and look around".  
Please don't let your doctor dismiss scar tissue. I had pains in my stomach and side four years ago. None of the tests showed anything. Had to be rushed to the hospital because of extreme pain. Waited four days before they decided to do exploratory surgery. Guess what? Scar tissue had wrapped around my intestines and was on my bladder and down to my pelvis. Four years later. I had more pain on my right upper side. Tests showed that my stomach was twisted and could not empty like it should, causing pain and making it hard to breathe. I told my surgeon that it felt like more scar tissue. He did surgery and lo and behold. The scar ran from my galbladder to my stomach causing my stomach to fold over and twist. So if all else fails....insist that your doctor consider that it just may be scar tissue. I hope this helps.
See the North Penn Hernia Institute discussion forum moderated by Dr. James Goodyear.