Gastroenterology Community
Hernia under left ribs?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
I forgot to add, that I can feel the movement under the left rib cage when I slouch over. But when I sit back or stand up very straight, I can't feel that movement.
If you are thinking you have hiatal hernia your symptoms don't sound like it.  Then again I am not a doctor, just a person with a hiatal hernia.  If you have a hiatal hernia you would have more reflux type of issues.  It sound to me like you have more hands-on type of pain.
I have the SAME THING!!! I am a 20 year old female. I've felt that popping under my ribs for the past 2 years. It comes with mild pain from time to time as well, and when i lie on my left side I feel the pressure there. I got so worried by it that 2 years ago (when I first started noticing it) I had an ultrasound taken, but they couldn't get under my ribs to see anything (and couldn't see anything from where they could reach either). The doctor I went to couldn't feel the popping that I feel from inside either. If you find out what it is, please do post it on here. It's a strange thing, huh? It makes me very uncomfortable knowing that it's there and not knowing what it is. I've actually had some stomach problems simultaneously, but I'm not so sure it's related. Have you experienced any stomach issues aside from that? Thanks for posting.
Have you and niceguy2008 considered "Costochondritis"? I have it in my lower left rib cage. Its an inflammation in the rib joint... (each rib has a non-moving cartilage type join a couple of inches in from the sternum). It gets inflamed and is very tender to touch, but can also cause chest type pain. I haven't re-read anything about it for years, but I believe it can be caused by being "hugged" too hard..  Basically, the ribs are a "cage" and one side can "give way"... a bit like... if you squashed a bird cage it would only break at one point... not both sides...  I'm no doctor so suggest you read up about it if you think this could be relevant.
This is strange, i am a 26 year old male and i have the exact same thing you both describe. I haven't been to the doctors and the pain is not bad enough to warrant going. I am one of those people that won't go to the doctors unless absolutely necessary. If i press on it right below the rib cage on my left side i can sometimes feel it pop or move, but not all the time. It is only bothersome when i sit down. It does cause me discomfort and i would really like to know what it is. I've had this issue approx 8 months or so. I will keep looking on this post. If someone finds out what the problem is, please post!!!!
I am a 27 year old female in general good health and I have that same
popping sensation when I bend over to pick something up. Usually I have a dull to sharp pain under my left rib cage after I eat. If I do any situps or ab exercises it kind of hurts too. What IS this?!? I also have a slight indentation in my skin about 3 inches away from where the pain is happening that my dermatologist recently said "may be a hernia". I hate going to doctors also because they are always so vague. Last night I was trying to feel around for something under my rib cage and found a pea sized bump on my rib that kind of moves when I touch it. It is sensitive. I am going to my gynecologist tomorrow and will ask her what it could be. Will let you know. Please keep posting - if you find out what it is, I'd be curious. Good luck guys!
I have been suffering from this same ailment under my left ribcage for about 10 years.....For a time it lasted almost 3 years.  I was tested, ex-rayed, had physio...pain medication  and so on, nothing helped.  It has now returned and it has been bothering me now for 3 months.  I know it is not life threatening or I would not be here now.  Anyway, I did hear about COSTOCHONDRITIS and had written it down...however, I misplaced it, so I thought I would go to the internet to see what I could find out about the affliction.  The first time that it appeared was after golfing.  I thought that perhaps the injury started there.  Another incident was when I pulled my aging mother out of her tub which intensified the pain and discomfort.  I do not know what I did this time, however I do believe that stress may play a part in it as well.  It seems that whenever I feel under stress, I will alway feel it where I am most vulnerable, under my left rib cage.  Another thing I have noticed....is that if I put on weight it seems to bother me more.  So I am in the process of getting my weight back down.  Although, I am not overly heavy, those 10 pounds make a difference.  Hope this information will help someone.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE. sfhiggins
I have the same/similar symptoms and I am wondering if you ever found out what was causing your symptoms.
I have this also... have had it for 10 yrs or so.. it can be very uncomfortable having this pain under the ribs and around the back ..I have had mine feel like it pops out of place.. i push it where it hurts and it does relieve the pain some.. but I too would like to know what this is.. I have been to the Dr. had all kinds of tests.. nothing.
30, male..

I have exactly the same case.. though i have a big stomach which i believe is the probable cause.. plus now that "sfhiggins" mention about it as stress related.. i am more convinced that it is my unhealthy life style that started all this.. so i will try to do some exercise and focus on losing some weight. I will also try to keep you all informed about my progress.      
Hey guys, I have the exact same thing, we're such rejects eh? Haha, anyways, mine even protrudes out so i can see it, but only if im laying on my back. Ive had mine about 6 months and im waiting for an x-ray appointment to come through, if anyone wants me to let them know how I get on so it might give you an idea. My emails ***@****
today while I was working out, I felt this pop under my left rigcage,  this had never happened before.  The pain kind of took my breath away.  So I stopped working out the pain went away rather fast.  but there is still kind of a nagging side pain?  Not real painful, just like its sore.  I was then stretching my right arm to get a dish from the cabinet when the left side popped again.  I let out a scream as it was very painful.  After reading all these post, im not sure anyone has actually been diagnosed correctly.  Please keep me informed.
I am 28 year old female.  I got swine flu and coughed a lot and then it started to feel like charlie horses in my left ribs under my breast.  It went away and now it is back for no reason.  I had chest xrays done and they could not find anything wrong with me.  I also had a neurologist look at my xrays and no one knows what is wrong.  When I cough or sneeze I can feel my ribs move and almost rub together or something.  Terrible charlie horse sensations when I try to lay down.
I've also been experiencing a tender left rib, it's getting worse. It started by feeling like I'm there's something in my left side while sitting. Now hurting under left rib and feels like something sticks out. Had ultrasound, ct scan, nothing shows up. I'm getting so frusterated..  My physical therapist thinks it's a hernia.  Symptoms are getting worse and even went to emergency room in hopes they could find something.  Had anyone felt there was something in their side when sitting  but no standing?
Mine started a few years ago, it came up as feeling like I was being stabbed in my ribs. Went to six different doctors and none of them knew what to do, did x-rays, ultrasounds and all that stuff. My Left side of my rib cage sticks out and if touched it becomes soar and alot of discomfort for a few days. I hate that we all are going through this.
i also get the feeling when i am sitting down but i also get it when i am lying down in bed on my left side i then get to the point that it feels like my like my rib cage is just being squished has anyone else had this problem "PLEASE HELP"  
I also have the same symptoms. Do any of you drink alot of soda? Please respond.
Hi everyone Im a 31 and I have had this same feeling under my left rib for almost a year. It is most prevalent when I lie on my left or sit leaning to the left. While I did notice that it is most prevalent when I am stressed I have also noticed it when I am feeling a lot of joint pain! I have noticed that it is less prevalent when I take anti inflammatory meds like motrin and alleve but it does not go away. I am certain that it is not a hernia but some sort of tissue that is on the inside part of the skin, known as the viscera. It seems to rub on the left rib and if the position is correct it will hang up on the rib causing sharp pain. I have scheduled an appt this week and maybe I can work with my physician to get some answers. It would help if people listed any ailments such as cancer, anxiety disorders, arthritis etc in order to establish a pattern that may cause inflammation in this area
I am 31 and I have the same thing.  It seems to bother me the most when I lean forward or sit in a slouched position.  But it is only the left side and there is that little popping that everyone mentioned.

And yeah, it is on the left.
I'm pretty sure we all have hernias. I have the exact same symptoms as you guys. My pain is primarily at the lowest rib, front, left rib cage. I've had an epigastric hernia and it feels very similar. Weight loss will be the easiest way to alleviate the symptoms, as it will reduce the internal pressure, but the hernia (tear in the fascia) will remain, and symptoms could certainly recur, unless we have surgery. If any of you has surgery to repair the hernia, I highly recommend a patch. if they just sew it up it will usually recur.
so we all appear to have this...any ideas what it is??? Mine isn't painfull just can feel it popping and kind of getting stuck on something it feels like under my left rib cage right at the bottom going in to my abdomen...????i've asked the doctor and was told oh its nothing, ask your physio next time your there'?  But whats frustrating is that it clearly is something and i just want to rule out anything more sinister than a hernia,,...
just found this somewhere on here....this answers my questiuon i think...thought would share...

Slipping rib syndrome is a condition that is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed and can subsequently lead to months or years of unresolved abdominal and/or thoracic pain. Surgical findings suggest the condition arises from hypermobility of the anterior ends of the false rib costal cartilages, which often leads to slipping of the affected rib under the superior adjacent rib. This slippage or movement can lead to an irritation of the intercostal nerve, strain of the intercostal muscles, sprain of the lower costal cartilage, or general inflammation in the affected area.

The medical literature primarily refers to this condition as slipping rib syndrome. However, it has also been referred to as clicking rib, displaced ribs, interchondral subluxation, nerve nipping, painful rib syndrome, rib tip syndrome, slipping rib cartilage syndrome, traumatic intercostal neuritis,11 and 12th rib syndrome. Many cases have been described in the medical literature, but this condition is rarely mentioned in present-day medical textbooks and often is not clinically known by doctors.

The syndrome may be the result of trauma, but many cases have been reported in which no thoracic or abdominal trauma had occurred. Clinically, patients often note intermittent sharp stabbing pain followed by a dull achy sensation for hours or days. “Slipping” and “popping” sensations are common, and activities such as bending, coughing, deep breathing, lifting, reaching, rising from a chair, stretching, and turning in bed often exacerbate the symptoms.

The differential diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome includes a variety of medical conditions, such as cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation), esophagitis, gastric ulcer, hepatosplenic abnormalities, stress fracture, inflammation of the chondral cartilage, and pleuritic chest pain. A quick way to rule out these conditions is to look for an association between certain movements or postures and pain intensity, determining if the patient has experienced recent trauma (although not always present), and reproduce the symptoms (eg, pain, clicking) with the hooking maneuver. The hooking maneuver is a relatively simple clinical test. The clinician places his or her fingers under the lower costal margin and pulls the hand in an anterior direction. Pain or clicking indicates a positive test. It is recommended that the hooking maneuver be followed with a rib block (injection) to see if the pain can be relieved. Radiologic imaging is generally not useful in the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome but may be of value in ruling out other conditions in the differential diagnosis.

Once the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome has been made, you have to realize that nothing is seriously wrong. Avoidance of movements or postures that exacerbate symptoms may be sufficient in eliciting a successful outcome. However, in patients with more severe pain and dysfunction, nerve blocks, prolotherapy and surgical intervention may be necessary. Conservative and surgical outcomes reported in the literature have generally been good. Yet these results should be viewed with some caution, as clinicians may not be as forthcoming in reporting failed case reports and case series.

Bottom line:  rest and restrict activity that makes the pain worse.  If you cannot do this, prolotherapy or nerve block injections may offer immediate help and resolve the issue.  Surgical resolution is the last option by may be indicated if no appreciable improvement is noted.  Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Dr. J. Shawn Leatherman
www.suncoasthealthcare.net
I think Dougers is correct.  I have been having this pain under my bottom left rib for the last 20 plus years.  I can actually recall the first "pop".  I was stretching out and down (behind a couch) to pull out a drawer, and out of the blue there was an audible pop that I felt in the exact same place I still get them now.  Under the left bottom rib.  If I push on the muscle with sustained (a few seconds) pressure, it will usually pop.  If I am reaching for something sometimes I will get a pop.

A side note, I also believe I have a sensitivity to Gluten.  I am starting to look to see if they are connected/related.?.?.?
Really glad to see this forum.  I am a 31 year old female and have had this "popping" issue under my left rib cage for about a year now.  Its only slightly tender, but when I push around and probe to get this popping, its more sore the next day.  Months ago I went to my doctor.. I couldn't get it to pop for her of course but she ordered an ultra sound and blood tests to keep me satisfied.  It turned up nothing, which only means my organs are OK but what if there is something else there?  It is certainly annoying, but not unmanageable.  It's most upsetting because I don't know what it is!  Going to mention it to the doc again next month when I go.  Anyone ever figure this out??
I have the exact same thing; a popping sensation only on the lower left side, just under the rib. No real pain, but some tenderness. If I press with my fingers I will nearly always feel this movement, and it often appears as a chain of spasms that is visible under the skin. It started a week ago in connection with having the flu and heavy coughing, and now seems to be almost constant, especially when I sit down. I'm hoping that when my coughing stops, the condition will improve, any experience with this?

I have found this quite uncomfortable and worrying, it would be great if anyone has had any luck finding treatment to help the symptoms?

If you have any questions you would like answered, please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.
Hi, i sorta know how you are all feeling i have sorta the same thing, mines under the left side of my ribcage and it can get very painful, the most painful time is when i get heartburn and it affects my back and front area and i have to try to make myself burp to try and release the pain.
i have a funny soft moveable lump near the bottom of my left rib  and it can get very sore but does not have any popping sounds but i can move it around and it seems to of got a little bigger, i have a doctors appointment today hoping they can tell me what it is as it has me worried.
ive had the same condition for around 3years i was told to lose w8 within the first year i had it by the doctor but didnt listern im starting to wish i did as it has got worse. but i think the reason why it has got worse is not because i didnt loose w8 but because i have always worryd about it and that has corsed alot of stress and i now suffer with anxiety and ibs so my advise would be try not to worry about it and unless ur slim try losing a few pounds. and if anyone els finds anything out please let us know thanx.
One night out of the clear blue I felt something sticking out of my left upper rib cage. It is tender if I touch it or even when I use an underwire bra. It feels like a ligament or a swollen vein. I am not sure. There is some discomfort not exactly pain. I am at the gym almost 6 days out of the week so I suspect it had to do with some excercise I did. If anyone experienced this before please let me know.
i have the same thing it started about seven years ago it feels like pressure or a bulge on the left bottom of rib cage and if i palpitate the are it makes a clicking or popping feeling kind of like popping a plastic botttle.Sometimes it is painful, and i've noticed it has seemed to have caused heart palpitations or like my heart flutters and skips.
Hi. I was looking up hernia under left rib and this is what I found. You guys with the exact same symptoms.
Mine came about after my twins were born which makes me think of a "trauma experience", pressure on my rib cage.
I would like to share my experience. Its not painful in everyday activities although I am aware it being there. My only painful experience I had was the pain under my left rib cage was worse was getting into the bath, and leaning to the left to sit down. My god I thought I was never going to straighten back up!. I was so scared I was going to trap this thing. I have no idea what it is. But when I lie flat I can put my finger on it and feel it like a ball, which makes me think of hernia.
I have had this 3 years now but never visited a doctor, didnt seem necessary really. I know what I can and cannot do with activities and everyday tasks but it would be nice to know what it really is.
I've had a "protuding rib" is what my dr calls it since my accident over 2 yrs ago. I get a on n off buring sensation in the area that I have the lump. Left side right under my ribs. If I lean forward I feel the lump behind too more towards my back.I often get soreness there like I worked out my abs extremly. I had er visits. Xrays. St scans. Ultra sounds n they said nothing seems abnormal. When I strech to the right my left side feels tight like streching a rubber band. If I lay on my stomach I literally feel a buldge pressing onto whatever I'm laying on. Every dr I go to wastes my time. I'm lost! ~ ***@****
I think I'm the odd one out here.... I have those symptoms on the right. Would it mean anything, my being left handed? The pop comes out from under the lower right rib. I'm slightly overweight. I can't wear undersides bras anymore because the wire hurts me too much. The lump that pops out is the size of a golf ball. The rib its near is very tender to touch. First I was told it was a fatty lump, now I'll be having an ultrasound in 3 weeks cos they think it's a hernia. Oh, and I feel my ribcage squish when I lie on my right side and it makes me feel suffocated...
It is a hernia.More common in women who have had children.What is comming through is your lung.It hasn't happened to me in a while,but bending over to pull socks on,or bending over in the tub to wash my hair is usually when it would occurs.My husband's cousin is an OBGYN,and he told me what it was.It is a sharp pain or tightness when it happens,and there is a small buldge between two ribs on my upper left side.Sitting up straight and exhaling makes it go away.Nothing is usually done for this type of hernia.
I have this too, I thought it was a hernia, as when I bend down and cough at the same time, or strain when bending down, something seems to pop out, which takes my breath away, and its like I'm stuck in this position, then after a minute or so I can actually feel it 'pop' back in and its fine again!
Has anyone found anything out yet?
Laura x
Oh yuck my lung coming through?! I'm going to the doctors....
I have only had pain under my left rib now for 2 weeks but it is constant and VERY painful! been to hospital had blood tests and xray, apparently nothing wrong with me! can't sit back. lie down or reach up. feels like something in there. can,t keep popping pain killers! what shall i do? I'm in agony.
I'm SO happy I found this thread. The first time I ever had my "popping" happen I was scared to death. It happens when I bend down in a certain way doing every day tasks such as putting on shoes. It doesnt happen every time I bend over so I don't really pay attention to try to prevent it but when it DOES happen, man its scary! I can actually push it back into my rib cage but I never have enough courage to look in the mirror to see if its visable! I'm so glad other people are having the same problem because it's so hard to describe to anyone who doesnt experience it!

I have a small polyp on my gall bladder. I saw someone mention something about the gall bladder and i'm wondering if that may have something to do with it? I have no idea i'm just glad i'm not alone!!!
I'm 15 year old and I've had exactly the same symptoms as all you's for about 5 year now..but, it's at my right side..its not exactly a unbarable pain, but it does hurt and is really uncomftable. I put pressure onto it, or get my sister to massage it because it seems to ease the pain, but as soon as I stop it hurts again. When I rub were my pain under my right rib I can feel something moving or popping out of place, and it is painful. I've been to the doctors and they have said there is nothing wrong with me..but there obviously is, and I'm just really worried as I seem to be the youngest one who has these symptoms!
I have this same pain but on my right side, I have been diagnosed with costocondritis like 2 months ago, just recently started getting pain but I have noticed popping in my left side for years, when I slouch. But no pain not until recently. When I press on my right side I can feel a pop or click. No click on my left side though.. And the pain comes and goes on my right side only once have I had pain on my left side. When I do a full abdominal stretch I feel pain on my right side or on deep breaths
My pain is similar. I get a sharp pain sometimes when I bend over. Its very painful.Sometimes I jerk back upright the pain is that bad and its still there. Right under my ribs on the left side. I feel a lump there and if I push on it it goes away a short while later. I've been wondering if I could have a hernia that high up.
Hi, i have this popping too, mine is in my ribs at the back not front though
I am so glad I found this site too!  I thought I was going crazy. Not sure if mine is the same, but I have a lot of the same symptoms, the popping, the pain on the side when I lay down, get up or even when I sit in a chair at first. It feels like I am bruised on that side, but only when in certain positions. Mine just recently I feel in the back too and I thought it was my kidney, but have no other kidney symptoms. I am going to the doctor today, but had a similar issue with the other side last year (not as painful as this time though) and they did all kinds of tests, ultrasound, blood tests and found nothing. Told me it was probably muscular. I am sorry but my muscles shouldn't be sore for months!
I am so pleased I found this. Was getting myself worried lying in bed feeling around my ribs to compare one side to the other. I have an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday,but feel much better knowing it's probably nothing serious. My symptoms are exactly as you have all described, although I haven't had or heard the popping, just feel very tender and sore under my left rib cage, almost how a bruise would feel to press against. Also if I am sitting and leaning over to the left the pain is a lot worse when I get up. Slipping rib symptom!! Thank you all. Aren't we so lucky that is all we have to worry about :) Finally will get a good nights sleep tonight, but will keep doctors appointment on Wednesday to be sure.
I am a 46 yr old female and I have this same issues under the left rib for many years and it is now alot worse and pinching at my shoulder blade in the left side of my back.., my docotor has ordered what is called a hydoscan. This is a dye test for the gallbladder. Sometimes the gallbladder ultrasound  does not show the diseased gall bladder and thats why he is ordering this test. I am in such discomfort that I am hoping this is what the culprit is, that way they can remove the galllbladder and I can get some relief....finally someone willing to look further into this issue...It used to be that when I bent over to tie my shoe I would get like a charlie horse or a muscle tightening up and at times even pulsating like a butterfly. I can't stand it no more and will push till I get some results in the matter, waited long enough already...The best to all of you and I will post the results..
Oh my- I thought I was going crazy- Mine has been hurting for 2 weeks now- I believe it started from coughing from bronchitis....Now it is very tender, right under my left rib- It feels bruised and tight. The worst is trying to lay on my left side in bed- It feels like there is a golf ball under my skin and pushes into the bed...It wakes me up every night when I roll over.Dr said last week its just a pulled muscle.....But it isn't getting any better!!!  
yes - thanks for this thread! - i have pretty much decided that this discomfort (not really pain) is not deep enough in my body to be an organ - and the stories here have helped me be a bit less paranoid and realize that there are suite a few possibilities that are not unmanageable -

my discomfort is like many others here - for about 3 years slightly different position and degree, a discomfort ranging from just barely noticeable to almost pain - when it first appeared it was "pain" on occasion but that subsided and now - and like others - with more stressful life situations, it tends to become more noticeable.   Only today it occurred to me that it may be come kind of hernia.

anyway - thanks to all for your stories and to the doc above for his findings as well.  guess it's one of those afflictions we learn to work with and heal through our own efforts cause i'm certainly not going under the knife for this -

I have been having the same issues!  After a horrible bout of bronchitis where I swear I nearly coughed up my spleen, I've had this odd "pressing" sensation when sitting down.  It does ease up when I stand but I can still feel a "bumpy movement".  I asked the doctor, fearing a hernia and was told that "he didn't feel a thing"  

It's not so much painful as "pressing", like someone squeezing JUST that side of my chest.  The coughing is easing up but the sensation isn't.
WOW it sounds like a lot of us have the same issue here.. I have had this going on for years now and have never talked to my Doctor abouy it. I really didn't think it was anything serious..But I always thought maybe it was somekind of a hernia (self diagnoised). But mine is under the leeft rib cage and sometimes if I bed over or do sit up's a ball form pops out and it's like having acharlie horse but worse. Then my ribs are sore to the touch for a few days or should I say very tender. Sometimes if I lay on my left side I can feel the tenderness. Anyone know what this is please post it and share with us..Good Luck All..
Hey all. I have the exact same sypmtoms. I am overweight and trying to get to the bottom of this. I know that this came on much worse after i had gained some extra weight. I do happen to smoke a good amount, not cigarettes =/ let's just call it the peace pipe. I don't think anything other then the excessive coughing could cause such an irritation. I also tend to sleep on my stomach a lot because of back problems =/ I wonder if putting all the weight on my ribs like that has caused it. Curious to see if this carries any significance with the rest of you.
ive also had like a charlie horse pain under left rib cage,for two years,last year ..i was coughing up blood,they did lung biopsys..too find nothing, i beleive it was all caused by bronchitis,no longer bleeding but,still have under left rib pain..had LOTs of xrays,the whole works
Don't Worry You Not The Only One. Im 15 too :/   I get it on my right side
I started Getting The Pain A year ago
After An Acciedent i had in a gymnastics lesson, I was doing flips and suddely i landed on my head and damaged my tissue but the hospital said i was alright. i clicks like 5 times a week but when it does it hurts i normal get it when im laughing or when i move abit . When I touch my rib cage its sore all over.
I'm a 17 year old girl that has the same thing. Sometimes when I laugh, it moves over my ribs and makes a popping noise. and when I slouch over in a certain way it moves. It hurts every once in a while but not as bad. My parents won't let me go check it out so I'm gonna have to wait til I'm 18 in about 4 more months. I have had it since I was about 15 years old and when I first notice it, it hurt bad but now I'm use to it it doesn't hurt as much anymore but still have pains here and there. I never had surgery before and thinking about it scares me. its below my left rib. does it move over your ribs and makes the popping noise? It only does it sometimes but its aggravating when it does it.
I have had this condition for years.  Mine happens when I bend over.  It is always on my left side.  It started when I was pregnant and carried a large baby.  She would often wedge her foot up under my left lower ribs.  It hurt so bad!  I am sure she caused some damage.  After I had my baby, and over the years, I gained wait and the problem just got worse.  The descriptions you gave here explain this condition 100%.  
Oh my gosh!!! i have been searching forever to find out what this is. It makes total sense. I even went to my doctor but he was unaware. Thank you!
Ok, you are the first to say you stuck, I feel that way and it scares me. I was going to the doctor today but it sounds like it will be a waste of time.  I am not over weight and it first startedwhen bending in exercise position. I was stuck & thought Id have to call 911 and then it let go.  It feels like something gets locked up inside of something else. If I keep my appt I will post the results.  I have a ctscan (alot of radiation) of my abdomen from a search of kidney issues & it shows nothing related to a hernia.
As everyone has said, i'm relieved that i'm not going crazy!! I've had this popping sensation for the past couple weeks now. i can push on a certain area right under my ribs on the left side and its almost this popping or clicking feeling. i rarely have pain and if i do it is mild. whatever this is, it has been uncomfortable. i have been feeling very stressed lately and for a while just figured it was from that. i think this is now causing me even more stress and sometimes i think it has gotten me feeling anxious and therefore not hungry. overall appetite is fine though. i went to a dr today and he felt it..thought it might be a hernia but wasn't sure. i'm going to another doctor in a couple days but would like more insight. does anyone know what this is??
I am eighteen and for years now I have felt something off under my ribs. Specifically, it is now under my left rib cage and when I flex or move something (internally), it pops. I rarely have pain. It is usually just uncomfortable. Like a pressure. Now, I tense up my muscles there a lot because of the discomfort.
thank goodness i found all of you out there with the same problem i have had this pain in my left rib for about 10 years.
It all started after pregnancy when i strained to get out of the bath it popped and i felt this small ball and it felt like cramp,I laid myself straight in the bath rubbed it and took a deep breath and I felt it pop back in.Always worse when i have put on a bit of weight.My sister in laws a nurse so we are gonna look into this i will keep you all posted
I have been having the same symptoms on my right side except for the popping. I am in a great deal of discomfort and pain. I went to the doctor and they thought I was having a gall bladder attack, since I had a slight fever at the time the admitted me to the hopital and ran an ultra sound and x-ray, but said my gall bladder looked good. They then ran function test and determined my gall bladder was only working at 20% so they went ahead and removed it. After waiting the 4 weeks to recover I noticed I still had the same pain! I followed up with my surgeon and he thought that I might have broken my 11th rib since the pain seemed to wrap around my right side and stated that even though my gall bladder was bad, which is typical in a 30 year old with kids,the area of pain wasnt near where my gall bladder used to be. Another x-ray determinded that no ribs were broken. My doctor then scheduled a CT scan since she felt the bulge that was in my right side and thought it could be a fatty tumor. The scan showed no abnormalities. I am currently waiting for an MRI to be scheduled. I don't know how everyone has gone years with this pain. It is driving me insane. I was hoping more would post their outcomes, but haven't seen any. I hope someone will update their post soon. I will try to remember to do the same once I have the MRI results.
Add me to the list too.  Left side just right under my lower ribs. 45 Years old and this showed up about 3 months ago with off and on tenderness or sometimes a cramping sensation of moderate intensity(definately stopped what I was doing until it relieved in a few minutes).

Though I did not go to the doctor and have been blowing this off as maybe muscule cramps, as I used to have very developed mid section and into light body building, but have let myself go for 15 years and just attributted it to my overwieght size and weakened state. But last night I fell and when I went to catch myself some "pop"(all most like a joint popping) immediately followed by intense burn in that area. I was absolutely positive WHERE if felt the pop. I was OK with the burn and soreness following but the popping noise scared me a little because I could not associate it with anything in that area(not a doctor but sort of a science/Spock type that has a casual interest in physiology & bio-mechanics). Thought maybe I had burst something.  It is now 12 hours later and since I am not showing other signs of problems(other than myside is sore as hell), I know that that is not the case.  

Thank for all the posts.  I was just abot to go to the doctor and start a bug hunt for something it is apparent they know little about.
To add a little to the info, I see several of these patients each year. The more common name is costochondrial dislocation. This represents an actual dislocation of the joint where a rib meets the cartilage that connects it to the breastbone. Since cartilage has such a poor blood supply these are extremely slow to heal. Generally, it takes several months and anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen seem to accelerate the process somewhat. If symptoms are severe and persistent, the tip of the rib and a short piece of the cartilage is excised. Once this heals the joint is essentially "fused", stopping the pain and popping. I have seen several especially unfortunate patients that have had multilevel costochondrial dislocations. One was a young mother that was merely reaching for a can on the top shelf when she heard a series of pops and the sudden onset of excruciating pain. The dirrence in her was that it was the other end of the cartilage - the end that joins the sternum. She had a congenital rotation of the sternum and ended up with four lefels of cartilage dislocating and overriding the sternum. We removed short segments of each piece of cartilage with relief.

The patients that I see with this are universally frustrated as they have typically been through extensive evaluations to rule out various abdominal problems. Unfortunately, the docs ordering all these expensive tests never noticed that all the symptoms could be reproduced with simple pressure at antiny spot corresponding to a costochondrial junction. The abdomen is actually benign when one is careful not to compress the costochondrial margin during the exam.
Hi guys ... i have been having the same problem aswell, hence me being here looking for answers.

I too get a popping under my left ribcage near my tummy... it feels like a water balloon would if it were under your skin and you pressed on it.. only its the size of a grape ?

It isnt too uncomfortable...but I've found it flairs up when:
1. I work out
2. After eating
3. When im stressed (for ages ive felt terrible anxiety and it always has me clutching that area, trying to push it with my fingers to release a kind of pressure) .

Its so hard to figure out... and ive shown numerous doctors and 4 out of the five couldnt feel it and said i was dremaing... BUT one.. felt it and said it is hyper acidity in my diet and could be a tummy ulcer ? ?

Another doc said it sounds like a Hernia.

Im still stumped but like the rest of us here WE KNOW... ITS NOT NORMAL !

I take great relief knowing I am not alone and want to thank all you guys for coming forward and tlaking about it.

Im 27 years old, male, a bit over weight but generally quite fit.. i go to the gym 4-5 times a week and ive lost weight and its STILL there.... sometimes after pressing on it with my fingers it has a littles pain and goes away.... UNTIL... i arch my back- backwards and it kinda like resets.

U can also feel it clear as day... when u trace your index finger along your bottom rib from the middle going down to the left.
Its like a little speed bump that rolls back :).

The best description i can compare it to.... is like when you go for a back massage... and the masseus hits a KNOT... and rubs over it showing you where it is !
Does it feel like this for you guys/gals aswell ? ? ?

Lets get to the bottom of it together  !!!!!

I'll post up if i find what it is... I pray for all of us that it is normal for select people and we can ALL CHILL !

Cheers and Thanks everyone.
PEACE . . LOZ... from Australia !
:)

Heya !

I totally empathise with your description.... it is definitely stress realted and always has me feeling weird in that area during what i call 'anxiety attacks'.
Feels like your gonna have a heart attack, and pushing on that popping place sort of relieves it.

Wish it would just leave...OR at least find out what it is !
I have this going on too, but it feels like my lower left rib is digging into my colon, or else it's digging into some some sinister growth (or a hernia?). I am very short-waisted! are any of you short-waisted?  So the rib is close to the colon, I think . It's been going on for about five years, off and on. I've been to two doctors and they both said there's nothing there, lose weight. (I am slightly overweight, mostly belly fat.) I also have periodic attacks of colitis or irritable bowel syndrome or  whatever, and the discomfort is more noticable for days or weeks after I have one of those. The attacks are very bad, I have to lie down immediately, even if I'm in public, and try to keep my gut from rupturing. Thanks everyone. I can't believe this discussion has been going on since 2007!
i am 31 year old man,sound a lot like me what you guys have written,but i have more symtoms (symptoms).it started when i was laying on couch after dinner and i turned and coughed and felt like something ripped right behind my belly button.after the pain when i moved it felt like 2 fingers about 2 inches long were wiggling(very painfuly wiggling)behind my belly button.this pain went on for over a week.i have a very physical job and it really bothered me much worse at work.along with this pain  i had a stabbing pain in lower abdomenand felt tight in lower abdomen.then i noticed my lower left side was swelling even more after i ate.i went to doctor and he ordered an ultra sound, which they found nothing on.after this i went 3 to 4 days without a bowel movement, severel times in a couple of weeks.when i did finally have one it came out flat, like someone was pushing both sides of my colon, sometime 1 long piece and sometimes a bunk of short flat pieces(i know it is gross!)after this i had a ct scan done, which they found nothing.after this i had a scope run down my mouth to my stomache and a colonscopy(hope they went through the mouth first!)the doc found a hiatel hernia and removed a polop from my colon.he prescribed me with benyl and said the symptoms should go away.so everything sound good to me.now its been 3 weeks later and i am still having flat bowel movements and feels like there is a ball the size of my fist just sitting there under my lower left rib.if i push in there with my finger it feels like a snapple top after you break the seal and just click on it , it gos pop when i push it in.ive been to 3 diffrent doctors and they cant tell me anything else about it, one said i had strained a muscle or ligament.they had ordered an mri but my insurnce denied it because the didnt find anything in the other tests.ive seen the article about the slipping rib, and i have seen something else on here about a wandering spleen, which i feel this feeling of a mass right where it is located.sometimes when i am in bed and turn to lay on the right side it feels like something shifts and is uncomfortble to lay that was. when i move back to my left side it seems to move back in place.all i know is it isnt normal and i demand to find answers, i am going to an intenist next week.as far as stress issues or unhealthy diets, im not sure if that is the case. i worked out at least 4 times a week on top of my vigourus job before this happened,for years i might add with no problems. i am in good shape a bit of a belly , but not much of one.and this all started from a cough will slightly turned while lying down.all symptoms are gone except the popping under left rib , a feeling of  mass the size of my fist in same spot, and my bowel movements are still flat, which doctors have said are not related to my hiatel hernia.
hopefully someone knows something about this that sees this site.one good thing the doctor that took my polop out had told me that if i hadnt had the colonscopy the polop he removed would most likly have turned to cancer by the time i was 40.he said since having a pre cancerous polop at my age , i should have one done every three years, now just have to get this other stuff figured out, thank for your time.
Your symptoms certainly sound consistent with costochondrial dislocation. This would not explain any change in stools though. I can't thinkmof any reason to have an MRI given your symptoms. This is generally a physical exam finding.
Just curious.....has anyone noticed any swelling type condition around the area around the lower left ribs?  I have a lot of the same symptoms as people have noted but I have also noticed that the area around the left lower ribs is larger than the right side.  I don't know when this first happened.....I know for at least a couple of months now.  But I may have had this for years.  I just never really noticed.
Dr. Watters, I also have the same symtoms (symptoms) as everyone else except my "popping" is pretty constant! It pops when I breathe, sit, reach, lay!! sometimes its very hard pops and painful. By the end of the day my left side is sore to touch and some back pain! I have had a x-ray and a ct-scan and nothing was found!! Not really sure where to go next.Just wondering if you have any advice and could mine possibly be the costochondrial dislocation you talked about? I dont recall doing anything but guess it could have been something simple..thanks. JB
you may have what i have , an enlarged spleen caused by anemia and infection
I had the pain in my left side right under my ribs and when i push in on it i feel something move around and the pain comes and goes especially when i am working hard at my job; i cant bear to keep working because of the intense pain but i manage to go on despite this. I started hurting with this pain in 2008 and went to see a gasterologist who removed my gallbladder but the pain didn't go away and not any doctors i have went to could help me. i even after eating take gaviscon to try to get some releif but it doesn't help. i am almost afraid to eat/drink anything because when i do the pain comes back and it is complete torture so i know what everyone is going through and maybe there will be a cure someday
Peace all, I have the same pain for the last week and now it I am experiencing the Charlie Horse like pain more often.  Unlike most of you where it happens while reaching for cans or stretching or relaxing after a meal unexpectedly, it happens to me in the middle of a physical activity.  I am a 42 year old male robustly healthy, I am a runner have completed several half marathons, I cycle-  have participated in several century rides during the course of the riding season and pretty athletic, play soccer, tennis, volley ball and golf.  During the winter months I do a lot of skiing and snowboarding for my outdoor activities.  Up until last year I always ski.  Bought a snowboard last year and started snowboarding.  This year I snowboard the whole season as a matter of fact I was getting ready to pack away all of our winter gears when last Thursday night we were blessed with another snowstorm.  School was closed on Friday, so my daughter and I figured we go for the last outing for the year.  Well, my friend on the last run of the day, in fact my daughter did not even want to go up for the another run so I told her to wait for me at the lodge and gave her money to get us beverage.   On the way down, my board got caught in the snow while sliding forward and I went face first and my chest got the worse of it.  The pain took my breath away, I had to lay there for nearly a minute to regain myself. By the time I got moving I felt fine, but being an athlete I said to myself it's gonna hurt later.  

The drive home was about 45 minutes, by then my body had cooled down and when I enter my garage and opened the car door I fell a pop under my left rib cage and couldn't even talk or close the car door.  I managed to get myself in the house and greeted my wife in a high pitched voice like I just got whacked in the "you know what".  I was okay for the rest of the evening until about mid day last Saturday.  Took my daughter to violin class and as soon as I got back in the garage and opened the car door, it was deja vu the pain was so unbearable decided to seek care.  I was afraid, perhaps my lower rib cage may have some damaged.  I went to the an urgent care office, luckily they were opened and had a X-ray machine.  So the X-ray came out negative of broken ribs.  So the Dr. gave me an anti inflammatory prescription for four days.  He also gave me Percocet which I did not fill.  But lately the pain has become more intense and frequent (pretty much Like JRBarbour described) so I decided to do some checking before making my next appointment with my PCP.  I was glad to have come cross this thread and even happier to see Dr. Walter's comment.  But the physician said just because the X-ray is negative does not mean there is no broken bone he said there is a chance later it may be discovered so.  On the same note I am worried seeing so many people have been dealing with this for years.  

I have put off my exercise routine as the doctor said I should be back to normal in a few weeks- but it doesn't sound it's gonna be so.  Dr. Walter if you are still monitoring this thread as the last posting was about 3 months now- based on your posting it is definitely "costochondrial dislocation or sliding ribs" is there anything else to do besides loading up on Ibuprofen.  I do not like taking pills unless it is absolutely necessary, but yesterday I went to Costco and pick up the biggest bottle of Ibuprofen 750 big ones @ 200mg, and have already consume 6 of them.  I definitely don't want to keep taking them but the pain is so unbearable I can't event laugh.  I look forward to your feedback
Peace all, I have the same pain for the last week and now it I am experiencing the Charlie Horse like pain more often.  

Your entry made me wonder if the pain I have at the upper left part of my stomach just below the ribs is related.  I do get like a cramp there.  That cramp is like a charlie horse.  I will get them if I sneeze or cough a lot.  So I basically hold in that area if I feel a sneeze coming on, because those cramps are very painful. Imagine when you get a charlie horse in your calf, then one in your stomach.  And I have asked the doctor about it.  I have had every test there is to have and they have found nothing., except to tell me I may have an incisional hernia from the last surgery I had.  And unless it hurts and does not subside they will leave it alone.  More surgery will cause mor scar tissue which then increases the possibility of intestinal blockage, which I have had and never want again.  Let me know if you find out anything lse that can help all of us with this problem.
I have the same thing im concerned about. its been going on for a year and seems to be getting worse. the popping in and out is constant all day will laughing, bending, sitting . . .I cant see a doctor cause I work 5 days a week and don't want to sit in a hospital for 8 hours. This causes sharp sudden pain surges towards my heart and lower left body. its really freaking me out. the bulge is getting bigger and swelling part of my stomach which is more concerning. im 25 from canada
Thank you for responding Doctor.  I have had this for about 20 years my Dr's couldn't help.  Mine pops out on my left side when I bend over and I have to lay flat on my back and just wait for it to go back in.  It happened on my right side for the first time today.  I have gotten x rays, ultra sounds and Cat scans.  My dr. now wants me to go on anti depressants, I will but I was on them before & it still happened
hi, i am in severe pain under shoulder blade in old fractured ribs since i have been working out and swimming to get active!! like u does not hurt when i stand or lie down but right now at lap top etc feels like a red hot poker being driven through my ribs...waiting results of lung exray!!????what can this be??
2 months ago i was sitting and I accidently jerked my back, followed by immense pain in my lower left rib cage for about 10 excrutiating seconds.

After then it went away slowly but if I sit evenly for too long it hurts mildly and rises.

Doesnt hurt when I carry things or jog for long but when I eat and I jog for 10 mins I arrive at a sharp shooting pain somehow walking at a slow pace relieves that.

But when I sleep on my left side mild pain again so I can only sleep on my right, I also occasionally hear clicks when I sit up right or bend left or when I bend over.

I got informed its probably an inflammed spleen. Im almost positive thats what it is, they said when your spleen is inflammed it touchesyour ribs making that clicking sound.

Wow!  I thought I was crazy but it sounds like there are lots of us who have this 'rib cage hernia'.  Mine is on the right side.  I've had hernia repair surgery (stitched up, no mesh) but after one year I still have pain there as well.  My question is this: 'Is there a procedure that anyone has had that has been successful in mending the hernia and has ended the pain?!'
I'm older than most and this charley horse pain under or on top of my left rib cage; comes and goes..
I am overweight and should loose some pounds. Now I have an incentive!
The only thing that gives me any relief of sorts is HEAT!

A hot water  bottle or a heating pak that you put in the microwave, seems to do the best but it takes 30 mins or so for that pain to subside.....
Feared it might be cancer but from reading everything here. I'm sure it is a hernia!
I am 20 years old and I'm not sure if what I have is the same. On my left side I push with my finger just next to my ribs and I feel this pop and it radiates to my rib.. It feels like I have something underneath it. It hurts to lay on my left side.Would love to hear from you guys!
Can this happen on the right side as well? I have this pain and if I reach with my right hand, it pulls on my ribs on the right side and then the pain begins. Any suggestions?
Sometimes people can have a floating rib which is usually the lowest one. It seems if this rib was loose and could move even slightly that it would cause pain.
slipped Rib Syndrome

http://www.caringmedical.com/treatment/slipping-rib-syndrome/