Gastroenterology Community
Hiatal Hernia Bleeding

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hiatal Hernia Bleeding

I am a 36 y/o female who has a history of GERD.  In April 2008, I was admitted to the hospital due to coughing, not vomitting, coughing up blood.  The blood was bright red.  This happened after I ate dinner and loaded my lamb chop with black pepper.  It was not determined what was wrong with me at the time, although everything they focused on was respiratory.  On Friday after not eating for about 8 hours I suddenly felt very nauseous and dranks some carbonated soda and about 10 minutes later I again started coughing up blood, again, not vomitting, coughing up blood.  After going to the ER and being admitted to the hospital, again the focus was on my lungs.  I did get them to do and endoscophy which showed a hiatal hernia, but no bleeding(the bleeding started that Friday and stopped a few hours that Friday and the endoscopy was done that Monday).  My question, CAN a HIATAL HERNIA cause you to cough up bright red blood.  Also, I have an appointment with my Gastro doctor on Tuesday, I was wondering if there are any further tests that can determine how bad the hernia is.  

I am consulting with a pulmonologists so that part is covered, my concern here is the history of very bad stomach problems that I have had over the years being responsible for the bleeding. They are talking about removal of a lung, advice is needed.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers