Hiatal Hernia and Esophagitis
In Feb. 09 I had an endoscopy for pain while swallowing. I was diagnosed with mild esophagitis caused by GERD. I was put on Aciphex. I was also diagnosed with hiatal hernia during endoscopy. I already knew I had one because an upper GI series 6 years ago detected it. Even so, the doctor who performed the endoscopy, sent me to get another more current upper GI series. The results came back “no obvious hiatal hernia”, even though the endoscopy showed one and the upper GI series from 6 years ago did too.

Since the recent upper GI series said “no obvious hiatal hernia” my gastroenterologist said she doesn’t believe my GERD is caused by hiatal hernia.

I went to a surgeon who specializes in repairing hiatal hernias for another opinion. He told me that he believes my GERD is caused by hiatal hernia and I should get surgery to fix it. He said the upper GI series isn’t always accurate because you’re lying down during it so the severity of hiatal hernias isn’t always detected. Is this true? Is it possible hiatal hernias can be seen on endoscopy, then not seen on upper GI series?

I’m very confused. In your opinion, is my GERD caused by hiatal hernia? And, if so, should I get it fixed? Is taking proton pump inhibitors just putting a band-aid on the problem if the real cause is the hiatal hernia?