Gastroenterology Community
Hiatal Hernia

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hiatal Hernia

Ok, a brief time line of my events.
A year and a half ago went to primary care physician for lower back pain, strange stinging pains in my chest right under my rib cage and lower-right abdomen. Diagnosis: acid reflux and "here's a sample and prescription", and a referral to gastro. Gastro scopes me and finds a few nodules in the colon and removes, tissue samples all normal. Told not to worry, nothings wrong with me excepts a little gerd. Symptoms progressively get worse, until this past February when I have what I call an event. I get this feeling one morning that my throat closes, my stomach bloats and feels like it's gonna explode, my eyes are bulging out of my head, dizziness, confusion, extreme chest pain like a heart attack. I'm not sure what's going on. Emergency room time. Same diagnosis. Well, two more emergency room visits and each time I'm treated for pain, given a diagnosis of acid reflux. Back to the gastro who puts me through a ringer-full of tests. CT scans, with and without contrast, ex-rays, barium swallows, lower abdominal, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and I forgot about the other diagnoses: gall bladder valve problem, peptic ulcer, IBS, functional bowel problems, and some others I can't remember. Out of all these tests there are a few things of concern that do show up. 1) enlarged lymph nodes in the mesentery adjacent to the cecum, 2) a nodular opacity on my lung in the right lower lobe. But these are interpreted by the gastro as being unrelated and I'm given a recommendation to follow up at a later time. Then I come across some information that tells about hiatal hernia, the symptoms and possible causes. I take this back to my gastro who orders up another test. This time the results show, and I quote from my dr. "a VERY SMALL HIATAL HERNIA, AND A SCHATZKI'S RING ON THE ESOPHAGUS". I ask what the treatment for this is, and I'm then told "NOTHING" as this is not the cause of any of my symptoms. Now I'm ready to ask my question: Does this sound right? I mean, all these tests, nothing is found. Then I get a test that actually shows something and I'm told we're not going to pursue it? And secondly, could the lung opacity, the lymph nodes, the back pain, and the IBS/hiatal hernia all be related, and if so how do I pursue this with a specialist so that I can finally get a diagnosis and maybe a treatment?
Yeh, this has been helpful
I'm guessing since I didn't pay the sixteen bucks for an opinion on the Dr. monitored forum of this site, only to get a generic response that says I might need to see a specialist, I won't get any replies. Wow, so much activity here, and yet, so little.
Hey, I can just keep answering my own posts and I'll probably be better off than when my gastro talks about...oh, giving me another prescription to keep his pharmaceutical buddies happy, or schedule this or that test, so he can feel like he's actually earning the money I pay him.
You must be really frustrated with your situation, especially with all the pain it causes and the lack-lustre diagnosis from the doc.  I've had a quick look to see what a schaztki's ring is - hadn't heard of it before - and came across this site: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/559/main.html  which does have a treatment - a dilator - so I think you should get a second opinion if possible.  Even though the doc says your symptoms are not being caused by the hernia etc, they must surely be contributing to the symptoms.  I'm wondering if it's worth not only seeing a second gastro but also a nutritionist who might be more proactive in helping you cope with the symptoms by providing you with info on what foods might be contributing to the problem.   Also, I don't know if you've heard of thermal body scans where they pick up significantly hot or cold spots in your body and might indicate where the problem is originating from (such as your back).  Have a look at this site which has some great info on it:  http://www.wholisticmedical.co.uk/DITI/ditifaq.html .  I have had thermal body scans for back pain, and it picked up breast lumps I was totally unaware of.  It is well worth doing and the person that does the scan can give you good advice on what steps to take regarding the results.  Also be aware that long term pain and discomfort such as yours can lead to worsening symptoms as you become both physically and mentally exhausted from it, so relaxation techniques and positive thinking will really benefit you.  I wish you luck and hope you find some relief soon.
I also was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, knodles on my lungs and swollan lymph nodes!  I have severe pain at night when I try to lay down on my stomach or really either side.  I have to take pain meds every night.  I have gained about 25 pounds and my question to the doctor was could the hernia be causing the back pain and chest pain.  He to answered no.  I am now seeing a gastro doctor who is checking my liver/pancreas and still has not found anything.  possibly thinks it is stomach spasms and has put me on meds.  it has been 2 weeks and it is not better.  I am fixing to check out what SOD it and see if that is a possiblity.