Gastroenterology Community
Hiatal hernia/GERD issues...more testing to be done in the coming weeks...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hiatal hernia/GERD issues...more testing to be done in the coming weeks!

I went to my GI doc today for my follow up from being in ER a few weeks ago with chest pressure that radiated into my left arm and jaw.  After numerous cardiac testing they were able to r/o my heart, and I was told to pursue more GI testing since I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia w/GERD last July.  Anyways, I explained all my symptoms to him and told me that severe GERD could possibly be causing all my problems.  I now have to have a 24 hour pH monitoring test done (5/6) and a repeat endoscopy (5/27) to see if acid really is causing all of my problems.  When I had my last endo done he told me I had esophageal ulcers but not Barrett's and I a hiatal hernia, but he never commented on the size of it.  

Is it possible that all of this is related to my hiatal hernia/GERD?  What exactly will the pH monitoring test show?  Can these 2 tests confirm/deny esophageal spasms?  I mentioned doing a barium swallow and he recommended repeating the endo and the pH test.  I go back to him 6/10.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Shell
-8 Comments Post a Comment
The only test that will truly tell you whether or not you've got esophageal spasms is via esophageal manometry.

Considering you've got esophageal ulcers, yes it is possible that all of this is due to GERD.

The pH monitoring will show the # of episodes of acid entering the esophagus during the time you're monitored.

A barium swallow is a 'nothing' test compared to the ones you're undergoing. It will show you very little.