Gastroenterology Community
Hiatus hernia - becoming a big issue now!

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi all,

Hoping someone may help me out here...I have a hiatus hernia, diagnosed approximately 8 years ago, in the past 6 months it has gotten worse, but now in the past week it has become unbearable (I would like to point out that I never feel 'normal' I always have acid and pain etc) I can not stomach food, I am hardly eating anything now (i used to be able to stomach a childs meal once a day)

I have been to the doctor twice this week, I can not work because of the pain and the severity of the acid.  Due to lack of food I am absolutely exhausted and my legs feel like dead weights......I am now taking 40mg of Omeprazole and have been urgently referred to a dietician........

Can anyone give any advice on what I can do in the meantime?  I am currently waiting to see another specialist (saw one 8 years ago) but there is about a 6 week waiting list.  Im hoping for an operation to remove my hiatus hernia......any ideas people?  What can I eat?  Bearing in mind that a lot of food now seems to get 'stuck' in my throat......

Please, please people give me some advise.....Im tired off all this now and just want to feel a little more 'normal'!

Kelly, it's unfortunate but tamping down the discomfort isn't easy. Take a look at the dietary recommendation for a GERD diet at gicare.com. It has a do-and-don't list that might be helpful. You could also try taking some of the more solid food and putting them in a blender. It's possible a more liquid form might go down a bit more easily. Try making some lifestyle changes like propping your head up when you're sleeping or raising the head of your bed. It can also be helpful to try to sleep rolled over on your left side. That will decrease the amount of acid that flows into the esophagus.