Gastroenterology Community
Hiccup Sounds (reverse hiccups)

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hiccup Sounds (reverse hiccups)

I am 22 years old, and for the past 3 years I've experienced what my friends call "reverse hiccups" about   30-40 times a day. It's similar to a hiccup, except much louder. It often sounds like a gasp, and ranges from being quiet ones I can muffle to loud ones that stop everyone in the room. Sometimes I can feel it coming, and make it stop completely, other times it suprises me just as much as those around me. (Sometimes I can feel it coming, try to stop it, and it happens anyway). They can be extremely loud, and very embarrasing. They sound very odd, and I havn't met anyone else with anything similar/similar symptoms. I'm often accused by my parents / friends / teachers of doing it on purpose to 'try to be funny' or 'get attention', but it is honestly something I cannot control (beyond somtimes being able to stifle them).
I used to think it was related to stress, as it seemed to happen more often in certain environments (The first year it happened most often during classes/work, it now primarily occurs in social settings or when I'm talking to someone). It does not seem to correlate to or have any patterns to any foods, and I'm not experiencing any acid reflux (which is what my father now thinks it is now that he believes I'm not doing these on purpose).
Does anyone have any information? I asked my doctor about it, but she hadn't heard of such a thing and doesn't seem concerned.
I have exactly the same symptoms yet your post is the only one that was returned in Google.  My reverse hiccups started a good 10 months before the onset of severe Acid Reflux so I would see your Doctor any try to circumvent the inevitable.

Buy a bag of jolly rancher candies. When you have a reverse hiccup allow one Jolly Rancher candy to dissolve in your mouth until the hiccup stops.
Works everytime for me.
Thank you so much.  My symptoms exactly.  My wife has accused me of faking this as well.  This turned the table around and made my weekend!
i have it too!!its crazy---sounds like a big grunt!!--had it for many months--hope it goes soon
So I've had these "reverse hiccups" for a solid 5 years, my best friend has them, her aunt has them, and they've slowly "spread" to other closer friends. We call them meeps; anyways doctors haven't found anything physically wrong with us (no acid reflux issues, lungs problems, anything you might think would attribute to it). They're exactly like what everyone else is describing, a hiccup except its like your body is gasping and you make a weird noise. I have no clue if they're something to be worried about but the fact that my friends are now getting it (and their friends) concerns me a little...if anyone has any ideas on what this is that would be great.
I have had these backwards hiccups for several years, with no other symptoms at all..My granny used to have them, and I remember making fun of her thinking that she was doing them on purpose, and now to my surprise, they weren't on purpose and it's frustrating, because now, everyone else thinks that I do them on purpose, when I can't stop them.
i have the same problem too! they get so loud it hurts my chest sometimes! and its very embarrassing  when i am in class or at work and people look at me like i am an alien or something. i have no idea why it happens. i was diganosed with GERD and IBS at 17 years old and sometimes when i get these reverse hiccups stomach acid comes up and sometimes when it happens again no stomach acid.  my dad's friend who is a heart surgeon asked me if i snored in my sleep when he heard me do those hiccups and i said yes. he never really got back to me about it lol. but you are not alone. my dad would make fun of me saying shes calling the mother ship! hahaha
yeah it is very embarrassing my reverse hiccups can be heard a block and half away maybe even further, they sound like a hawk. i sometimes get stomach acid that comes up also.