Gastroenterology Community
Hiccup type burp...or belch..messed up burps...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

For 5 years i have been suffering with what i can only call a hiccup/belch. Every time i finish food or even when i have an empty stomach i get this hiccup/burp. It sounds like a hiccup but then gas is expelled from my stomach thus giving a belching noice.
It feels really uncomfortable and when im in public i get funny looks as it sounds very strange.

I had an upper GI endoscopy which revealed a very small hiatus hernia, and also my duodeum was scared from ulcers id had in the past.
Also, about 8 years ago i tested positive for Helicobactorpylori. I didnt finish the course of medication (Heli-clear...side effects were very bad)
I was warned that the bug could return if i didnt complete the treatment.

Im not sure what this problem is!!!

i suppose it could be.....

Hietus hernia .....Do you get hiccup/belching from this ???

Helicobacrpylori  Do you get (as above ^^)???

Scaring of duodeum.. ???

Stress ???

I hope you can help.....someone out there must have similar symtoms (symptoms)...?? or is it just me???

Thanks ...PAul
I have the same hiccup/burp thing - for 6 years. Mine doesn't just happen when I eat, it happens throughout the day - every day. I average about 30 or 40 times a day. It's very loud - and yes, I get looks too. So far doctors can't tell my what causes it, they just say hiccups are caused by a muscle spasm in the diaphram - but these aren't regular hiccps so I dont understand. It's just one giant screech followed by a burp. The only thing I have tried is baclofen (muscle relaxer) which did not help. I've had a endoscopy and a ct scan and I was told I had gastritus.
I am having the problem as we speak, and it's around 3:06 in the morning.  Here is the small description of my health history:

- Ages 5-17 - experienced a lot of pain on my gallbladder after eating fatty foods.  I quickly learned that coke would help if taken during the meal, strange since coke is very acidic.  The pains stopped at the age of seventeen, eventhough my parents never took me to the Dr for it.  I did nothing to stop it; it stopped all by itself. Also very important to note, after 17 I noticed I couldn't take any more milk because I would give me too much gas.  So I stopped drinking it all together and joined the lactose intolerance community.

- At 21 I started experiencing Acid Reflux.  The Dr discovered I had h-pylori and put me on antibiotics.  As mentioned earlier I never quite finished with the treatment.

- At 29 I went to bed and all of the sudden the following combo of symptoms begin: hiccup, burping, farting.  I looked at my stomach and I was bloatted.  I couldn't get rid of the hiccups for 3 days, so I went to the Dr, and he said that it was simply because I ate too much fatty or spicy foods right before going to bed. He asked me to take one tablet of Zantac 150 before bed along with 4 teaspons of milanta.  Two days into the treatment my problem got better and then finally my hiccups went away.  Hiccups as he explained to me, are caused by irratability of the diaphragm, which makes it spasm.  This treatment calmed the irritability.  After the consultation I went back for a followup, and with all fear I put everything on the table.  I told him about my gallbladder issues when I was a child.  I asked him to allow me to take an exam to see if my gallbladder was okay.  He did and ultrasound and found polyps and sludge.  Then I took another exam, which I can't remember the name of the procedure, but they basically put a die intravenously which measured how much gallbladder contracted.  The Dr and surgeons have mentioned to me that I need to remove my gallbladder sometime this year.  I still haven't done it, but I will be doing that pretty soon.

Foods that worsened my problem:
- Drinking 2 cups of coffee everyday of the week.(it has lactose, and coffee which is acidic)
- Mild or very Hot spicy foods.
- Fatty foods.
- Any foods with a lot of lactose, which cause bloattedness.
- Red Wine(also very acidic).

Staying away from this foods, specially coffee has made me feel better all together.  Because it was the fourth of July weekend I felt compelled to test my system with wine and italian foods, and now I am reaping the consecuences of my silly actions.  I will take my gallbladder out sometime soon, hopefully this will help the problem.  Best of luck to you.  I am going to bed now since the hick up has stopped.
I have been having these hiccup/burps for the last two years, everyday, multiple times a day. They randomly come, nothing leads them on and nothing gets rid of them. Although a few males find it "cute", I find it rather annoying. I'm 20 years old, no health complications that I'm aware of...I'm not sure what in the world these things are, though! Today they have been worse than any other day which is why I'm looking up information to try to find a cure or cause. If anyone figures it out, PLEASE let me know!
I too have that annoying hiccup, following by a burp which relieves the feeling of pressure in my upper abdomen. I have changed my entire diet by eliminating chocolate, coffee, red meat, wheat and dairy. My dr. gave me prescription Zantac which helps a great deal, but I am still having this problem at least 10 times a day. The next step will probably be an upper GI series or endoscopy if this doesn't improve within the next couple of weeks. I have already had an H Pylori blood test to rule out an ulcer, an ultrasound and an MRI which were unremarkable.  I am getting very tired of this!
     I have this hiccup/burp thing! It's so comforting to know that there are other people out there with my problem too! I also have uncontrollable hiccups and burps. Ratio of about 3:1 for burps and hiccups. It is getting very frustrating. I have very bad acid reflux and simply by laying down flat at night the acid has gone into my voice-box and has damaged my voice.
     My "donkey brays" as I call them, are extremely loud, loud enough for the whole class to turn around, since I am only 16.
I've had a few outbursts of hiccups that barely allow me to speak reasonably. And I am a singer, so it concerns me, because it can happen when I sing. I've had it for maybe a year and a half! Cheers to those who have had it for 5 years, if it were me I'd have died by then haha.
     The most in a day for me is 44, but I was on 20MG of Omerprazole that brought it down a bit to about 25 a day. They can be painful. I have a lot of excess gas, and my stomach is so loud that people around me turn around, and I can feel it all the way up my esophagus. And the bad days if I don't take medication, I can feel the acid hurting my stomach. It's awful, because if I bray, it feels like it is bringing up hot steam into my throat.
     I am going to the doctor tomorrow to be referred to a specialist, and am probably going to have a endoscopy. I'm getting so tired of it!
     Fruits with a lot of acid such as strawberries give me massive hiccups, but it happens constantly. But so far, no night-time hiccups.

I'm only 16! I shouldn't have to deal with this! :(
     If anyone has more info, or perhaps a success story, please share!!!

I too have this problem. I never had heartburn or acid reflux problems and then when I was pregnant with my 2nd baby (I was 36) suddenly 1/2 way through pregnancy, I began doing these weird burp/hiccups. After having the baby, they didn't go away. I have been doing them ever since on a regular basis. I can't believe so many OTHERS have this problem. I too, thought it was only me. To me, it feels like a burp coming- I feel the slight pressure of this pre-burp and then it seems to suddenly attack me, come out of nowhere and a burp or hiccup sort of explodes from my mouth. With it comes a sound that I can only describe as sounding like a chicken "BAWK!" sound. My husband ever so sweetly and lovingly named them "bi-gawks!" As if you sneaked up on a chicken and startled it- it sounds exactly like that- "Bi-gawk!"
I "bi-gawk" about 20-30 times a day- maybe more. I've never really counted. I CAN stifle the sound if in public, but I have to really be aware of it and try hard. At home, they just slip out and my husband and children will repeat the sound from different rooms in the house to tease and "echo" me with humor. Funny, yeah right. I wish I didn't do it, but yet after a "bi-gawk" escapes me, I feel so much better. By this intense burp/hiccup spasm, I'm certain much more gas (or whatever it is building inside me) is allowed to escape than with a simple burp. I seem to do it more AFTER eating and I ESPECIALLY find that when I am lying down (watching TV and even sleeping) and I simply get up (even in the middle of the night to use the bathroom) as SOON as I stand up, one rises up and explodes from my mouth. They are very abrupt, very loud and very quick- not to mention, very powerful.
I had a colonoscopy last year and an upper GI and they said everything looked good. Gastrologist told me I had GERD and put me on nexium. The Nexium gave me pains in my stomach/intestines (I don't know where exactly) and felt like sharp pains under bottom of rib cage. I stopped the nexium and seemed fine. But I still "bi-gawk." Another Doctor tested me for H pylori, which was positive. As far as I know, I have had a re-occurance of H pylori at least 3 times and done the antibiotics. Now it's been 6 years and I DO NOW have bouts with heartburn and pop the occasional zantac and go on Prevacid on and off depending on the severity of the bi-gawks. Prevacid seems to help.
Alcohol however, makes it all worse and the day AFTER drinking more than 3 drinks- I might as well stay in bed. Feel like I have the flu. Weak, lightheaded, shaky, pale, stomach is gurgly and upset, painful cramps, I feel queasy, I have a headache (and I'm not talking a hang-over either...) not like I got drunk- I just have like a mild, sick headache that eventually gets worse throughout the day. My bowels will be all upset and I either have very loose stools (yellow-ish in color) or I have tar-ish (dark almost greenish black stools) or I can't go at all and won't for a few days afterwards. If that happens, I get bloated, stomach seems to extend and I have painful cramps.
I was convinced I had some kind of stomach tumor the way I bi-gawked, (kind of kidding, kind of not...) but glad to know there are others out there. I believe the bi-gawking is due to GERD or something gastritis involved, and suspect the lower intestines, painful cramping issue is due to IBS and my body not wanting alcohol at ALL anymore. I was a binge drinker when I was younger, but now just occasionally drink. Think I will stop altogether. But the bi-gawking is another issue and one I guess I will just have to live with. Maybe it DOES have something to do with the diaphragm. I was a singer when I was younger and used my diaphragm with breathing/singing and also whenever I would get the "normal" hiccups- they were ALWAYS very violent and loud and would not stop for a LONG time. So possibly it is something to do with a faulty diaphragm and with age, stress, alcohol and gastritis- it all comes together with a mighty "BI-GAWK!" ???? Okay, I have admitted WAY too much info about myself here and will be going now. :)
signed: "Hello, my name is _______ and I'm a bi-gawkoholic..."
I am so relieved I am not the only one that does this. I have been having these things for about 3 years now.  I never know when I am going to do it until I do it and it is so embarrassing.  I tend to look around to see if anyone heard me because it is really loud.  I work at a hospital and a couple of the nurses seem to think I do it on purpose for attention.  Now why would I do that.  That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I have asked several doctors what causes this and they do not know.  One of the nurses has went so far as to write me up unless I get a doctors note saying that I cannot help it.  They want me to see if I have torrets syndrome or something.  It is ridiculous. If anyone cane make me feel  better I would sure appreciate it. I have had my gallbladder out and I thought that would stop it but it hasn't.
Jana Galaviz
Oklahoma
Hi, I'm a nutritionist.  Not a dr.  So I don't know what is causing your problems.  Although I feel for you greatly.  I would highly recommend you find a holistic dr that can do a test called a Heidelberg Gastrogram (google this).  It's a very easy test to take and completely accurate.  Also, you say lactose makes it worse.  People with gall bladder problems not only have symptoms when they eat greasy foods like french fry's and peanut butter, but when they eat saturated fat, like meat (cow, pig, poultry, etc.) and dairy products.  Try eating fish instead of meat and avoid all dairy.  Try soy milk instead of cow's milk ( I like "Silk" brand.  I even use "Silk" coffee creamer in my coffee every morning and love it.)  And of course, eat lots of whole grains (i.e. whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.) beans (as in bean soups), vegetables (steamed, stir-fried, grilled and raw as in salads) and fresh fruit.  I had a friend years ago who was always clearing his throat.  Every 60 seconds he had a light, small, blech.  When he went on the diet out lined here, it went away.  When he went off it and started eating processed, packaged foods and lots of meat and dairy again, it came back.  Good luck!
Hey everyone, I have odd hiccups all the time that people think are sneezes, so I am constantly blessed throughout the day. so annoying. My doctor told me it was probably a hiatus hernia, and from reading about different symptoms, it sounds about right. Not sure what I'm doing to fix it other than elevating myself at a 40 degree angle when laying down sometimes.
I have recently been experiencing similar problems as everyone else here, only a couple of months but I am sick to death of it.
For the past few years i had quite bad heartburn, especially at night, soliva building up in my mouth and a horrible burning sensation in my throat. I took no medication to solve this as it only occured now and again. However around 2-3 months ago i started having spells of constant belching but put it down to simply drinking too many fizzy drinks. Now not only do i burp, but I have started hiccuping aswell in these spells, farting, a bloated stomach and a horrible "lump" in my throat. Doctor put me on omniprozale or something like that, which seemed to do v little,  i tried rennies and gaviscon with no joy.
I have a couple of theories why i suddenly start up again, and put it down to either,   smoking (only 2-3 a day),   certain bread,   potatoes,  milk or butter,  something in tap water,  foods/drink with citric acid  or  stress.  
I really hope its not down to what im eating because im a really fussy eater and can only eat certain things (mainly meat, potatoes and bread).

I can go to the hospital for some tests but Im curious to see if there is anything i can do just to "calm" this down instead of having every scan.
im so glad im not the only one, im 18 and have had these hiccups since i was about 14. I visited the doctor then and they told me nothing could be done and was just explained as a twitch in my diaphragm. it happens multiple times daily, especially after ive eaten, but also often randomly, it used to happen in classes and i was sentout once for being accused of attention seeking and distracting others, the teachers didnt believe i couldnt help it....
if anyone finds a cure/solution or  anything that would help id appriciate it, as ive tried altering my diet and didnt find it helped a great deal!
I am 18 and have this, tons of people have it, it is usuall genetic. And is recessive. it is NOTHING to worry about.
I don't know if what I have is what you guys are talking about or not. I get these hiccups/burps too, but not as often as most of you (maybe once a week or less) but they are much more painful and scary than any of you have mentioned. I'm 25 yrs old and have had them all my life. When I was a kid my mom called them "cry-burps" because they made me cry. If I had to describe the pain it would almost feel like a heart attack (obviously never had one but I know the symptoms). When they happen I immediately get a sharp pain in my chest (right beneath the breast bone) and then I can't breathe and it feels like there's a freight train on top of my chest. I press hard and rub on the middle of my chest bone (directly above the zyphoid process - correct spelling?) to help it stop (not sure if this actually does anything or if it is just a placebo effect since that is what my mom would do for me when I was a kid, not knowing what else to do). The pain very slowly starts to subside then I can breathe again and it's all over. It only lasts about 30-50 sec but it is always scary. Not sure if it's all related, but I have very bad GERD and acid reflux which is causing severe esophigitis (I have a gastroscopy every 6 months to ensure the cells are not mutating into cancerous cells) and my digestive system is always out of whack. No doctor I've ever come across has ever had an explanation for the 'cry-burps'
finally some people with my same problem
Ok I'm 13 and been having this problem for 3 months in 2 days it will be 4 months but my doctor says it is IBS well the the stuff the doctor gave doesn't work and it's really annoying and suggestions.
It is so surprising to know that I am not alone. I started experiencing my weight gain - my stomach gets bloated after I eat before it happened.  I hurt my knee (bruised bone) in December and was taking motrin. I had an MRI on 1/7 before this happened. I am 44 years old, out of nowhere on Jan 11, 2010 I developed an uncontrollable hiccup/belch/burping and a chest pain like a brick was sitting on it and heat,  I went to ER and diagnose me with acid reflux sent me home with Prilosec and Pepcid and to follow up with my Primary Dr.  I couldn't sleep or eat anything nothing will help.  I went 4 days later to see my Primary, she then thought I had a panic attack and put me on a low dosage 0.25 of Xanax.  I took 1/2 of the pill as I didn't feel I needed this and when I took it may me very drowsy. I then took 1 whole pill and started to get very hyper and my body started to shake.  I decided to not take this anymore. At the time I didn't know what it was as I was sleep deprived.  I believed this will relieve my attack of the problem but it just made matters worst.  She sent me to a gastro Dr. who did an endoscopy (found a miniscule hiatus hernia, gastristis and had tested Hpylori negative) In the 3rd week of this He then had me get a CT for abdomen pelvic the Dr. said he couldn't find anything wrong.  He suggested to get check with a cardiologist and GYN for menopause.  I still had the chest pain and the hiccups/belching/burping.  I was admitted at the hospital to rule out the heart and get everything done.  I pass the stress test the hospital monitor my blood pressure by medication as it was high.  I was getting anxious. I had stop the xanax.  Drs. still felt it was anxiety/panic attack why I experiencing. I was then put on Klonopin/Zoloft took 1 day got the shakes/and was very drowsy.  I didn't take it.  I continue to get more test. The Barium/UGI and everything was ok.  The last test HIDA scan-showed the gallbladder was functioning at 6% and then Gastric dr. said that was the cause of my symptoms.  Went to surgeon and heard my hiccups and said he didn't feel comfortable removing the gallbladder and it won't take away the hiccups/belching. Surgeon recommended to see a pulmonary was done a Chest CatScan - everythinglook fine.  I felt lost. I went to another gastric for second opinion this is now at the end of 2nd month.  He did blood test for Hpylori and tested positive but said this is not 100% so they did a urea breathe test while I had develop an oral thrush/yeast infection trying to swallow sugar (home remedy) a pulmonary Dr. told me to try. My primary Dr. prescribe Diflucan for 10 days to take care of this when I took the Urea Breathe test so I am in doubt because of the endoscopy and I didn't do a stool test.  I've been on 5 days of Tetracycline and Metrodonozole 2 tablets x 2  day for 14 days.. too strong have been experiencing rectal discomfort to go every so often and comes out as green leafy  stool has an odor as if could be the medication it is very irritating.  When I take it I get very sleepy and tired at first until it wears off.  I couldn't continue and stopped it.   I feel very lost -- feel there is no answers.. Hopefully they can find a vaccine or cure for this.  Frustrated...just want my life back.
I am 39 and have the same painful hiccups you mentioned. But I think it must be genetic because my father, grandfather (died at 85), and sister all have it. My father (70 YO) had fundoplication surgery for acid reflux and no longer has hiccups. They are no fun, but don't worry about it being something more serious.
I just experienced this for my first time.  It was actually kinda scary to be hiccuping and belching like a sailor. (No offence to any sailors on the this board).  I had eaten pizza with sausage and pepperoni prior to this happening.  Now I have a pain in my chest.  Pretty scare stuff.
Surprise. Surprise. I've got them too!

I'm now 21 years old and have had the crazy hiccups (they sound like a squawk or gasping for air and is sometimes followed by a burp-thing) since I was 18. I saw half a dozen doctors within the first year and was on and off acid reflux medication, tranquilizers, and muscle relaxants. None of which helped at all and the tranquilizer's also had really severe side effects.I had a MRI, CAT scan, and Upper GI scan. After all of this the only answer I ever got from doctors was that I would eventually grow out of it. So, I left it alone for a couple of years because even as annoying as they are (I average about 85 to 110 a day)they've never been extremely painful for me. I actually just started seeing a new doctor (who I randomly met in Whole Foods!) who is fairly confident that I have a gallbladder issue. Other symptoms that I have experienced that are related to gallbladder issues are pain in the center of my back (which I always thought was heartburn) and constipation (gross, I know), So, my suggestion is that if you haven't considered your gallbladder as a source of  your crazy hiccups do so! Everything my doctor has told me and from what I have read, if you don't catch it quickly you may have to get your gallbladder removed!

The best of luck to everyone :)
Dear all,

The most common cause of long-term hiccups is damage or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

■Sore throat or laryngitis
■Gastroesophageal reflux

Looking at the symptoms described here, mine are very similar. What happens is this:

The hiatus hernia causes the stomach to raise into the opening of the diaphragm, an un-natural position. Whenever excess gas is released, however gently, from the stomach via the sphincter into the esophgus (burping or belching) the esophagus expands slightly to accomodate. This puts pressure on the vagal nerve, irritating it and causing an automatic reaction, a hiccup.

The only way to rid oneself of this affliction is to have the hernia treated. Each will have a differing opinion of the pro's and con's of this. Surgery always has a risk but squawking out loud at random can be ever so embarrasing.

Richard
for the past few days i have been experiencing the same thing...I get these uncontrollable hiccups and burping...It is very annoying. I was thinking it was acic reflux or something but now I am not sure what it could be. I do all the things that are suppose to stop hiccups 9holding my breath for 30 seconds, drinking a glass of water with my head tilted back and everything) it seriously seems like nothing helps. Before I would only get them when I drank something to fast, but now i can just be sitting there watching tv and not had anything to drink in hours and get them. I have had them for the longest time was 45 minutes or longer, and it happens everyday many times a day now and i dont know what to do to stop it, or what could possibly be causing it
I have been getting this same thing infrequently for quite a long time. I never thought much of it before simply cos I only seem to get one or two in succession and then nothing afterward. I noticed I often get it after eating food and sometimes its accompanied by a slight feeling of nausea. i've had quite a few problems with foods, in the last couple of years i've noticed too much sugar makes my urine smell bad and can give me uti's. I get a bad stomach and diarrhoea from eating cheese (even lactose free cheese) i've had this reaction for a very long time,I get cramp type of feeling after drinking apple concentrate and as a child I used to projectile vomit after drinking milk.I don't really know whats wrong with me and neither do my doctors.
Add me to the list.  This past summer at 47 I suddenly had abdominal cramps which the ER doctor was certain was gallbladder trouble.   The problem came suddenly and for the first time after eating a second helping of rice and beans.  But it wasn't the beans.  It was the rice that did me in.  

I visited my GP and he sent me to a gastro guy who sent me for a GB ultrasound and an abdominal CT which showed that all was normal. My GP thought the excessive burps were rather humorous.  I had to agree, but don't find it so funny anymore... just annoying and odd.  The pain has not been as severe since but once a week or so, the pain comes just below the right rib and the belching hiccup begin.  The belching hiccup can last for an hour and the belches can be as frequent as 40 in one minute... I've counted.  So have my sons.

Although the doctors have given no explanation for my embarrassing belching hiccups I have noticed that carbs do bring on the episodes.  Normal portions of rice (Latino portion), bread and potatoes strike hard and last a good long while.  It has yet to happen in public which is especially important since I do a great deal of public speaking.  Now that would be a quick way to lose my audience.   I'm sure it is bound to happen - probably sooner than later.   Oh well.  At least I don't have gall stones.... I hope.
My 16 yr old daughter has just started this random hiccup thing. She does it throughout the day. I think she has done it in the past, but not as frequently as she has been for the last 2-3 weeks. I thought that it could have something to do w/ a hiatal hernia or gerts, so that is why I googled it tonight. Glad to know that others are living w/ it and it isn't that serious.
I'm 16 and I have the exact same thing. Mine is just one or two at a time, a few times during the day, sounding and ending like you described. I figured I was the only person who had it too. I've had it for at least 4 years now, but people in my school are basically used to it now. Would be great if I had a name for it though.
I'm 16 and I have the exact same thing. Mine is just one or two at a time, a few times during the day, sounding and ending like you described. I figured I was the only person who had it too. I've had it for at least 4 years now, but people in my school are basically used to it now. Would be great if I had a name for it though. Sometimes mine hurt, but not always.
I've had this problem for a few years now.  i'm 35 and it doesn't happen as frequently as some of you have mentioned.  FOr me it's more like a few hiccup-burps in the morning while and after i drink my coffee.  it only happens at work.  i don't do this at home. after reading all these posts,  i'm sure it's a combination of the coffee drinking and sitting down.  A.) i don't drink coffee at home and B.) the few times I drink coffee on a weekend (maybe once in a blue moon), i don't hiccup-burp but i'm also not sitting...i'm usually moving about.  could it be that sitting is probably allowing some gas to build up causing the reaction?  it's weird. i'm not embarrassed by it, it's kinda funny...keeps me and my colleagues entertained (one guy tells me to "lay off the bottle" lol).  but it is nice to know i'm not the only one.  btw, i am lactose intolerant as most of you seem to be too. another thing to mention is i've been bulimic for about 10+ years, and although i don't suffer from acid reflux extremely frequently, i do probably have some kind of corrosion from my behavior. As the above post from "Richard" states:

"The most common cause of long-term hiccups is damage or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

■Sore throat or laryngitis
■Gastroesophageal reflux "

so if the ED is aggravating this problem, then this gives me more incentive to stop doing it.  

thanks all!
-sp-
I have been having this strange of Hiccup-Belching at the same time. whenever i try to belch it comes out in the form of hiccup but Gassy in nature. this has been happening for about 8 days now.
I've been hiccuping since September 2010, and just in the past 5 weeks, began burping with it. I've been on medications for acid reflux, topamax, prozine, the works. I have spent 4 days in a hospitall for a long term EEG scan, CTs, MRIs, had my thyroid tested, Upper GI, Ultra Sound, Endoscopy, Swallow test with barium, blow test, the list goes on. Every single thing came back negative or normal. The past 2 weeks, I've thrown up several times, and often feel morning sickness at random times of the day, even though I am not pregnant. I also have a severe itch everywhere, but especially around my thighs, where I have huge bruises. I gagged up bright red blood last night. I have no idea what's wrong with me, this is not genetic, and I refuse to go on living my life like this forever. Its embarrassing, painful, and annoying for not only those aruond me, but also myself.  If anyone can help me before its too late, please let me know!  I'm waiting for results right now to see if I have a wheat alergy (allergy)...
im soooo happy i found this website i thought i was alone!!! for the past month or so ive experinced painful spells of not being able to breathe and extreme amounts of pressure on my chest and stomach. the ONLY relief is to MAKE MY SELF BURP!! gross i know , , they are loud and painful but right after i do it i feel relieved ...then seconds later its back and i have to do it all over again. im very lucky to have the ability to make myself burp bcuz if i couldnt id have no relief and not be able to breath!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME >???
i have been getting these for years.  mine last for many many hours at a time and are violent.  it can go on for days, with the majority of the day spent hiccupping.  often my hiccups come in threes and fours and sometimes fives.,  like a machine gun.  drinking usually brings them on.  yeah i know better.  but sometimes they come on for no reason,   it is absolutely exhausting.  i think maybe i have that hiatial hernia thing
I developed these hiccup/burps this year, the only way i can describe it is sometimes i feel pressure in my stomach and ill force it up with with a hiccup kind of and it's usually followed by a deep burp. sometimes it just happens on its own, the burps can be pretty loud and feels really strange. it happens more when i havn't eaten. i also get a lot of stomach pain in different forms, sometimes nausea, sometimes burning, it's random. spicy foods and coffee can trigger my stomach, but it can happen at any time also. i don't really have a good diet and can't afford one at this time, i think that's probably the problem.
I get this as well. Sometimes it is just the occasional burp, other times they are so severe that it happens multiple times per minute for hours on end and it makes me feel extremely nauseous. I often get hiccups when it is bad as well. Usually the burps sound like a gurgling sort of burp in my throat. I have had problems in the past with excess stomach acid which I was given Ranitidine for. Although this helped with the pain, it did not help the burping. I also have IBS and can become so bloated that I look as though I am pregnant and at it's worst the bloating will not even fully disappear overnight.
Thank you for your posting.  An elderly relative has had these for years and years.  However, she recently came down with, and was diagosed with ,a stomach ulcer (and some areas of concern in her stomach).
    If you  ever have a very-noticeable descrease in appetite/room-in-stomach (that is, very-noticeable decrease in size of each meal), do not delay much in going to a doctor.
I've had these same symptoms for 11 years now - strange hiccups that come out as a "hop!", a "bup!" or a gasp for air.  I've had a series of upper and lower GI's.  I've also had a stomach emptying test done with which the doctor determined that I had gastroparesis.  I was put on medication for it (Reglan I believe), and they didn't go totally away.  The medication did make me gain weight, too.
The last upper GI I had showed a hiatial hernia.  That seems to be a common theme here.
Interestingly enough, my hiccups (from what I can remember) started after I had a spinal fusion.  Has anyone else noticed a correlation between major surgery and the hiccup onset?
And on a side note - can we all agree that most gastroenterologists are sad sorry people?
HI there,

Finally, I've found someone who has the same syndrome as me. My whole family make fun of my random "squawking" noises that burst from my mouth at random times during the day. Can sense it coming, but it's hard to catch before it escapes. Embarrassing. Have you found a cure? My teenage son doesn't want to bring friends over for fear I'll emit one of these bird noises and freak them totally out.

email me at linda_friesen***@****
Has anyone who tested positive for h pylori ever experienced finger pain and swelling? I also have pain on left side of back towards middle area. I also have slight swelling of left hip. I hate h pylori, I'm on 6th day of treatment and I still feel ill. How long before I feel better?!
i started experiencing these symptoms yesterday and its lasted till now hiccups and burps i recently went on a Bing of eating pizza and other fast foods. i hope i didn't trigger this thing by doing so. i read these comments and get kind of scared because i don't know what all the short form and even full form terms that are getting thrown around mean should i seek medical attention and if so how soon they last for hours.
Hello, I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of years now.  My daughter suffers from these loud squaks followed by a burp.  During her menstrual cycle (she is 20 years old) she feels a lot of pain and not only goes through these loud squaks but obnoxious burps and sometimes vomiting.  We believe she has endometriosis but that has not been confirmed.  The specialist said that the condition is rare and they have no idea what causes it.  He said you can get all the tests you want done but won't find an answer.  He also said we probably wouldnt believe him but there was really nothing they could do.  My daughter also has asthma and this all seemed to begin when we believed she had an ulcer and at that time also ended up in the hospital due to a severe asthma attack.  They gave her steroids (Don't know if there is a connection).  But i would like to hear from anyone suffering similiar symptoms to see if there are any common variables.  Hope all goes well for you.
Hi linda,

My name is Mike and I have a daughter who suffers from similiar symptoms.  For the past almost 3 years she has had these loud random squaks/hiccups,  Initially it was daily and sometimes all day and night except while sleeping.  Now they happen only prior and during her menstrual cycle or when her stomach is upset for any reason.  I have some theories as to why this is happening but have not had any luck with doctors.  I would like to talk with anyone suffering from similiar symptoms to see if I can find some common variables.  Let me know if you are available.  Thanks,  my email address is ***@****.
My 6 year-old son has them and he says that they only happen when he eats too fast.  Wonder if it would help to try eating slower?
I have been diagnosised with IBS, gastritis, anixity, bla bla.... and I have the hip/burp bloat thing after I eat or just becuase. I have taken the musle relaxers (pills), chalky liquids, anti gas, bla bla... The only thing that works is eliminating tomatoes and its products (yes ketchup), and dairy. PLUS at least 45 minutes of cardio in the evening. (walking is fine) If I go without the exercise watch out...If the anexity/stress doesn't get me, the sitting on the couch eating all things sugary will! (gummy bears go with twislers and doritos!) It takes a lot of will power. Remember food has so much unhealthy additives. (I can't eat a tomatoe from the grocery store but I can from my organic garden) Our bodies are trying to tell us something. Just listen, develop a plan, and OH drink the recommended 8 glasses of 8oz of water.  AND for a quick fix to the bloat/gas chew 3-4 pappaya pills found in the vitamin section of any drug store. Every inexpensive and tasty. To aid in digestion jucie half a beet, 2 and 1/2 gala apples, 1 center of celery, 1 carrot. (great for breakfast and taste wonderful) By the gummy bear comment I hope you know I am not a health nut and miss ice cream sigh....well only when my vegatian husband is around....!!! Get Well Soon
I am 29 now and I have had these same hiccup/brups since I was 15.  The only problem I have REALLY ever had from them is that they are extremely annoying and slightly painful if i try to hold it in.  I've had people suggest that I did it on purpose for attention, but who would really want that kind of attention.  I don't go to the docotor unless I'm pregnant or dying so I have no Dr's oppinion.  I just deal and try to ignore it, others usually follow suit (unless it's the first few times they've heard me do it.  I explain it to other that I am God's squeaky toy and he must have gotten board.  They learn to ignore it too... eventually
I am not a doctor either. I don't burp and hiccup at the same time at all. I am a healthy eater and also a slow eater too. I drink a lot of milk throughout the week or eat a good amount of dairy too. After every time I eat or drink dairy. 10 minutes after that I get the hiccups. I cant get rid of them sometimes, and sometimes I can. Why is it that even though I am a very slow eater and get fully quickly that any time there is dairy involved in my diet I get the hiccups every time. Its annoying and is that normal? Should I wean my self off dairy, am I becoming lactose intolerant. I'm only 30 and shouldn't have to go thru that on regular basis. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
I have had the burps/hiccups since I was young.  I was diagnosed with gastritis.  Here is a bit of info:

1. Go to a doctor and most likely get a referral to a gastroenterologist
2. If 20mg Zantac or Prilosec or pantaprozole or omnaprazole help a bit there are stronger medications and doses that can help more, I had the most success on 40mg Nexium
3. Diet changes alone such as no acidic food, no chocolate, no milk can only work if you have a mild problem - for more severe problems you will also need medical intervention
4. H. Pylori can be negative and you can still get ulcers.  My tests are always negative for H. Pylori and then when the endoscopy is done they see that I have ulcers.  They are caused by my gastritis.
5. My gastritous and hiccup/burps were a precursor for GERD that I eventually developed.  I also have a Hiatal Hernia.  These conditions are all related.
6. My GERD got really bad and wasn't controlled to my satisfaction with medication.  It can lead to throat cancer which is particularly nasty and hard to cure.  Rather than just get tested all the time and see if it happens I asked my primary care physician and gastroenterologist for other options.  I ended up getting a Nissin Fundoplication surgery to correct my Hiatal Hernia.  2 years later and no more GERD.  I still have gastritous though and take pantaprozole for it.
7. My dad and grandma also have gastritis and GERD so I am inclined to agree with others who have said it is genetic, however I disagree with those who say it is nothing to worry about.  See your doctor and a gastroenterologist.  I am glad I did.