Gastroenterology Community
HidaScan Results

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

HidaScan Results

I have had RUQ pain along with an unusual amount of gas for a little over a month now.

Ultrasound came back normal

HidaScan came back with an ejection fraction of 10.8%.

My family doctor didn't see me after these results, he just referred me to a surgeon. My appt. is on the 19th.

I am just curious if with an ejection fraction that low they usually recommend removal.  Has anyone kept their gallbladdeer with that low of a fraction and done alright?  

any advice would help.
I'm in a similar situation....my gallbladder did not empty at all and I was immediately referred to a surgeon.  I'm wondering  however if I should have an endoscopy before just taking it out...are you taking anything for your stomach?
I have been taking prilosec every day for the past couple of years, but that's about it.  did your doc recommend an endoscopy? Have you seen the surgeon yet?
Endoscopy won't tell you anything else about your gallbladder.  It can tell you if there is anything wrong in your stomach or esophogus, like too much acid irritating the tissues, or if you have an esophogeal hernia.  Most people end up with results showing gastritis and/or a small hiatal hernia, which really doesn't tell you much because it's so common.  

What the hida scan tells you is that your gallbladder is not functioning correctly.  It isn't able to eject its supply of bile and help digest fats.  When you eat, it tries to do its job, but it can't, so you experience the pain and gas.  Usually, the gallbladder is infected and/or inflamed when this happens.  There is nothing you can do to make it get better.

You MAY be able to put off surgery by maintaining a low to no-fat diet, but you really need to listen to your doctors' opinions on this one.  Gallbladders can rupture exactly the same way the appendix does, and that can result in a huge mess you really don't want to deal with.  Bottom line - you have an organ that is sick and not functioning.  Do you want to hang on to it and take the chance of even worse problems down the road?  
My hida scan ceme back normal. Im not sure what the ejection fraction was. Anyways, Jaybays right an endoscopy wont rule out anything associated with the gallbladder. I understand the pain your going through cause Ive been going through it since Aug and they cant find anything. I left a message on my gastro's voice mail saying that i would rather them take out my gallbladder than put me through another test that they know will come back normal. Ive been through bloodwork, sono, CT, HIDA, EGD, and a gastric emptying study which all came back normal. Ive been to the ER 3 times and nothing. Just be glad your doctor referred you to a surgeon. Talk to him/her and hopefully everything goes well.
I just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago with the same results for HIDA scan. Mine came back at 8% working so I was immediately referred to a surgeon. It's been 2 weeks now and I have noticed some changes in the way I feel after I eat and I have realized that a high fiber diet is WAY awesome after your gallbladder is gone. I also noticed I get fuller faster and sometimes feel sick after eat or have to go to the bathroom (if you know what I mean) real quick. All in all it is better to have it removed than have it get worse in your body and then have something major go wrong. Best of luck
Hi there guys, the scan showed up at 29%, so off to surgery I go. I have a nautralpatic doctor, she is great, I have been doing a no gluten diet, and that alone has helped me loose some weight. I say, preventive measures in eating habits may have stopped my gallbladder from failure, so what does this mean? Well our future generations can be spared this stuff, and if not at least try. My mom was 35 when her gallbladder was removed, I am close to 50, so every bit counts. God Bless, Debbie T.